Thread: How do you utilize all your fish?

Default How do you utilize all your fish?

This may have been talked about already, but Im curious as to how everyone makes use of all the fish they catch. Not just the smoking, canning, freezing, etc., but how many actually save the bellies, boil the carcasses, eyes, roe and other. I see a lot of waste around the few areas I fish amonst others (the very few), and not just from the tourists. Everything from bad fillet techniques to simple wanton waste. Any ideas?

Freezing, canning, smoking, sushi, caviar, livers and hearts, jerky, soup stock, spoon meat, fried frames, broiled collars.

Everything but the guts themselves in just about every recipe you can image, and we even use the stomachs. Empty the stomach and wash it, then stuff with salmon livers and tie off the ends. Simmer it in water with salt and garlic powder until firm, then chill and slice. Better than any liverwurst you ever had.

Been thinking about smokes salmon ice cream, but haven't tried it yet. Hey, chili ice cream is really popular in New Mexico , so why not?

Thumbs up No waste. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear
    Freezing, canning, smoking, sushi, caviar, livers and hearts, jerky, soup stock, spoon meat, fried frames, broiled collars.

. . . we even use the stomachs. Empty the stomach and wash it, then stuff with salmon livers and tie off the ends. Simmer it in water with salt and garlic powder until firm, then chill and slice. Better than any liverwurst you ever had.

BrownBear: I've done all the above plus milt and except the hearts and livers. Have always wondered why they wouldn't be good. Post more detail please or private message me about how you use the hearts and livers. How do you stuff the stomachs with a small funnel? Thanks. . .

Talking Salmon liverwurst??

Holy cow Brownbear!! I thought I'd heard it all! LOL That sounds really interesting for sure. I've eaten milt, eggs, eyes, and always boil the carcasses into soup stock. But I've always just buried the guts under the raspberries! LOL

Default Salmon Carcasses

I learned a few years ago to season salmon & halibut backbones after the fillets have been removed, then grill. They make pretty tasty appetizers. I've got no suggestions with the rest of the carcass.....

Marcus:

Hearts and livers taste like the same thing from chicken, so you can use them the same way. If you don't like chicken livers and hearts, you won't like the salmon version. But if you do, you'll love salmon.

The original inspiration for the "liverwurst" is a Norwegian preparation using cod stomachs and either eggs or liver. The stomach is really stretchy so you can get a surprising number of livers in one stomach- usually at least half a dozen per stomach. It's easiest to tie off the ends with string, but on a big stomach you can knot the end of the stomach itself, at least the first end before stuffing. I just stick a couple of fingers in, spread them a little, and shove the livers into the gap.

cghuntcms:

That's the way we use the frames too, as well as a quick deep fry. Red salmon frames are best. I never have understood all the foofderra about carcasses and bears on the Kenai and Russian. That's good food folks are chucking in the drink, and the bears sure wouldn't get mine if I fished there.

Oh man, you didn't eat the milt! I'm going to keep telling myself that, and maybe I'll forget I ever read that.

cghuntcms and with due respect to fishingphysician's great fillet job he demonstrated earlier: We leave a bit of meat on the bones, season very lightly with salt and pepper, then either grill or fry. I personally prefer grilling. Don't forget to do the same with the bone from the pectoral fin area - don't know what it's called. Another favorite is the roe! Try some with your morning eggs. It's very rich so use just a little...its tastes just like...eggs!