Thread: Dog Gums

Default Dog Gums

Anyone have any information on being able to tell your dogs health by their gum color. My Labs gums went pretty grayish around lunch today and his tongue also got a very dark red. His behavior got kinda sluggish and he wasnt that active like he always is. I left him home after lunch and decided to take him bird hunting for a few hours when I got home. He did wonderful in the bush and got some pinkish color back into his gums and tongue but is still kinda lazy around the house. He is only 8 1/2 months old and am also wondering could it be a change that he could be going through. He didnt eat anything out of the normal that he usually does but kinda concerned. I talked to the vet on my way home and the helper at the desk had no clue about gum color or what may wrong if anything. Its my first time owning a great dog like this and you all know how attched you get to them especially if you dont have any kids. Every little thing concerns you. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bowtech,

If you are noticing a change in behavior, sluggish etc....Then I'd get him to the vet ASAP. If you have the ability to take his temp (just a simple digital therm) please do so, here is a link

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-...ure/page1.aspx

Im sorry but if my dogs were not feeling well, the last place I'd be is the internet. Our last run in with a dog that wasnt feeling well ended up being anti-freeze poisoning..Im not saying thats what is going on with your dog but its better to be safe then sorry.

Here are my thoughts......but
    THIS DOES NOT REPLACE A VISIT TO YOUR VET.

You might check to see that his new teeth are coming in healthy. A tooth or gum infection can bring on the colors you mentioned.

Has your dog been getting enough water intake? Dehydration?
    Bouts of diarrhea? That too will dehydrate.
    Check to make sure your dog has not recieved a "blow" "Tramau" to that area.
    We can guess here on the forum. But the info you gave is pretty vague. Some things can be pretty minor others can become major if not treated. You'd be better off taking your dog to someone certified to guess better than us.
    I wish you and your dog the best.

Default Great Info

Thanks to all for the info you provided. I did alot of research last night and it really helped. His gums are pretty pink today and he is acting alot better. His yard work is back to normal and he shows no signs of anything that was going on yesterday. I do have a question about the gums. Directly above the teeth are pink then above that is a different shade of color. Is that normal. I also learned you can pull the eyelid down and look at the color there also and on him that color is pink as well. He is very well hydrated with no blows or trauma. He sometimes has diarhea but that is only because of some biscuits and snausages on occasion. He had a good bowl movement today at lunch. I do give him a rawhide for an hour everynight so could that be too much or something to look into?

Don't go off circulation alone, you have to know how to get your dogs temp, notice anything else like his nose, eyes, ears, coat, any vomiting..etc. There are so many tell tail signs that a dog is ill, Sometimes you wont even notice they are ill. They will hide their illness and have done so for soooo many years that its instinct. They will do everything in their power to convince you that there is nothing wrong and hide it well.

Rawhide is a HUGE no no in my house. #1 Reason, I had a dog who swallowed one whole and they had to do surgery to remove it. Rawhide has a tendency to expand once it gets into the belly. #2 the choking factor, unless you are with him 100% of the time and at the ready to remove a chunk from his throat I wouldn't take that risk.

There are so many other things that are better for him to give as treats. We love bully sticks (dried, smoked bull penis) and raw meat bones from the butcher. With any treat or toy, we don't leave our pets unattended with anything and always make sure the toy/treat is the appropriate size for them. Our kids are our dogs as well, we want what is best for them and always want them to be safe. Im glad your boy is doing better today, I don't think I would have waited. Follow your own instinct when it comes to him, you know him better than anyone!

Default Toys

Huntress...
    Thanks for the great advise. I never leave him unattended with any treats or bones. I have seen the results of the rawhides and have always caught him when he tries to swallow a long piece that has unraveled and has gone down the throat a little bit. His attitude this evening was great and very playfull but I am still going to make an appointment with the vet just to be sure nothing is going on. its been sometime since the last vet visit so i wouldnt hurt even if nothing is going on. Thanks again for the great info.