View Poll Results: Should Moose Season Open later than it does now?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Keep it like it is! 1st-15th (for most of the state)

27 15.61%
  • Yes- It should be extended to the 10th - 25th

57 32.95%
  • Yes- Its should be extended to the 15th - 30th

89 51.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Moose Season Be Later????

Default Should Moose Season Be Later????

It seems to me like Moose season weather has been changing over the years, much warmer throughout the first 10 days of September. Interested in folks opinions and comments behind your answers.

Default yes

I think the 10-25 would make the most of a hunting season. The bulls would not be deep in rut it the begining for better meat. But the later season woul give more time for calling.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

You know I didn't even moose hunt this year but I was driving down the road on the 12th or 13th and the leaves were really just starting to fall from the trees and I was thinking man its like moose season is 2 weeks out of whack, warmer temps, less moose movement, heavy foilage, lack of ability to really use calling as a technique and then theres the dreadful task of trying to keep meat from spoiling on remote hunts. Call it El Nino, Global warming, whatever it just seems like the first 2 weeks of Sep arent what they used to be weather wise.

It really depends on what part of alaska your hunting, also you have to take into consideration that most moose are killed durring the rut,so if your trying to manage a moose population thats on the bubble you need to trim the later days off.... just my 2 cents....

I wouldn't mind seeing it changed from the 10th-25th but it really does make a difference where you go. 2 years ago we had snow on sept 1st and 19 degrees the morning of the 2nd. We were at about 4000 ft though. It was warmer in the valleys.

Last year I shot my bull on the 8th and It got good and cold that night. I don't know what the temp was but it sure cooled my meat nicely. I was in the hills but not up to 4000ft. I do remember it was very warm when I rolled into town on the 9th though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Exclamation sheep man has it right

one of the reasons the season is when it is is because were it to be held later, when leaves have fallen and moose are more responsive to calling, hunters would be too successful.
    too many hunters want too few moose, and were success rates to go up the moose population could not support the harvest.
    even with rampant predator "control", a later season would only be possible if fewer hunters took part, so a statewide drawing or registration hunt would have to be implemented.
    as it is, we all have the opportunity to hunt, but statistically (ar least here on the kenai) about a 10% success rate.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

as nice as it may seem. By giving us the prime time to hunt we are going to kill more animals which means more restrictions, even smaller seasons dates, or draws or registrations to keep from overharvest.

Tough decision!

Default area you hunt

Agree what was said earlier, most moose are shot during the later parts of the season and extending it later in Sept. could have some drastic effects on the moose population. I know this would seriously affect units 12 and 20E where the moose population isn't all that great already.

I do agree with the warmer weather though. 2 years in a row where it was rather warm. Still had moose beginning to rut around the 13 and 14th, but nothing like if it got colder.

I was calling in bulls just last week so they are responding to calls and where I was hunting it was rather warm. I think certain areas could be extended but for the most part, I think they are fine as they are.

More 50+ bulls would be shot later in the season, and that is what you guys want is a huge rack to show off. They are also the breeding bulls that maintain the moose populations, they survived several years and their offspring will do the same.
    Keep as is. The meat is better earlier in the season. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Myself I prefer to shoot a spike fork.But there is some guys who like to show off there guns too.LOL...

I'd like to see longer season where possible. Sept 1-30 would be good, especially with the brow tine restrictions and amount of hunters in the field.

Tim

Default Yup...

I agree with most of the comments here; a later season would have a detrimental affect on the populations everywhere. The way things are currently is probably the best thing for the moose, and inversely, the best thing for hunters too. Conservation is a tough balance and the moose you save today will be making more for next season.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Moose season?

Can you say RUT?

Stinkey!

Default Maybe a restricted hunt

I would love to see the opportunity to extend the season a bit but as dumb and aggresive as bull moose get as the rut cranks up I see the need to limit that. As a compromise...what about a bow only season from the 15 to the 25. Personally I would love it. As it is here I only get about 5 days of calling that works with any consistency and that's precious little time if I wanted to bow hunt. Even with a rifle it keeps you huntin hard to make sure you have a chance at success.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Love it

Instead of having an archery only season from the 10th to the 17th of August (in some areas)- why not make an archery hunt from the 20th to the 27th? Certification would be required, and it would make it more difficult to kill a lot of 'dumb' moose as the rut gains momentum- great suggestion Catch it!!! However, I have a feeling a lot of people won't agree....

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default clarification

I mean the 20th to the 27th of September.

I agree with a late registration/draw hunt, but not just for bowhunters. I do bowhunt, but let's not segregate the people that hunt with rifles. Numbers are numbers, makes no difference bow or rifle.

dont make it a draw hunt, that's worse then segregation via user groups!!!! I wont post my opinion on the draw hunts, lets just say if I do, the mod gods will pull it!

Question curious...

despite the fact that most of the posters on this thread have explained and understand that a later moose season would ultimately make for less overall hunting opprtunity, most folks who have voted in the poll want a later season anyhow....??
    what is going on here? is it just that hunters would rather "have it now" and **** the consequences? is it out of state hunters voting because they want a later season with a higher success rate and don't have to live here so who cares? is it hunters who don't plan on staying in alaska? or who either don't have kids or don't care what sort of alaska is left to future generations??
    gotta admit i'm wondering what logic is at work here...
    there are already late season drawing hunts for trophy bulls, but they are a very low odds draw. is that the direction we want the F&G to take for the statewide season? seriously?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast