Thread: un-porting?

Default un-porting?

I am shooting a 416 Rem, ported, and want to un-port it. Other than the obvious and probably most realistic option (selling the gun and buying a new one), is there anything I can have done to make it "factory" again? Is re-barreling cheaper? Ideas? Thanks. j

A friend of mine has a 300 Remington Ultra mag that was magna ported, he ended up having the barrel cut and recrowned by a gunsmith. May be a less costly option than buying a new barrel.

Default barrel cut and recrowned

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    A friend of mine has a 300 Remington Ultra mag that was magna ported, he ended up having the barrel cut and recrowned by a gunsmith. May be a less costly option than buying a new barrel.
    I agree with Nukalpiaq, I think that is the chepest way of doing it. Why do you want the gun to be unported anyway? Is it to loud?

Whit

You might want to have a Brockman brake installed. Very convenient, with a simple quarter turn you can switch it on or off. He will mail it to ya and your gunsmith can cut the porting off and install the brake.

If you talk to him, tell him that Ed M from the antelope hunt sent ya.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/mbrake.asp

Dittos on cutting off the ported section and having the barrel recrowned. 416's aren't that bad, and the bigger bores don't benefit as much from a break.

Paul H,

416s aren't that bad? compared to what? There are only very few cartridges that generate a higher recoil energy or higher recoil velocity.

Muzzle brakes are designed especially for the big bores, sure weren't designed for smallbore. They have one heck of an effect on taming the 50BMG.

Default thanks

Thanks for the opinions. I had considered cutting off the barrel myself (kidding) as an option, and am glad to hear that suggested by others. I know the bullet velocity and accuracy will drop a hair, but I imagine they will both do so in a trivial manner. Why do I want it unported? Noise. I did not have my ear plugs in, as I wanted to hear better for a changed, and a 7' griz stepped out of the brush at 55'; no time to scream or go blind, so I just sent him 400 grains. My hearing dropped to 50% for several hours, and I am not sure it has fully recovered. The porting dropped the recoil significantly, and it shoots more like a 375 now. After unporting I will just have to hope my neck vertebrae hang in there for a few years, because unported it **** near knocks me off the shooting bench. I don't recall my 458 whacking this hard, but then I had that 15 yrs ago, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Paul H,

416s aren't that bad? compared to what? There are only very few cartridges that generate a higher recoil energy or higher recoil velocity.

Muzzle brakes are designed especially for the big bores, sure weren't designed for smallbore. They have one heck of an effect on taming the 50BMG.

Well....The physics of it is such that the lower expansion ratios benefit the most from the brakes. What that means is a cartridge with higher powder capacity compared to its bore size, will benefit more. A 264 Win Mag will have a greater percentage of it's recoil reduced than a 458, or even a 338 (same case). Of course the 264 has such a small amount recoil we may not notice and we will notice the reduction in with the 458 and the 338. The fifty has a modest powder capacity relative to bore but it dishes out some serious recoil. The part of the recoil that is reduced by the muzzle brake is simply the effect of the gas exit being reduced or eliminated. We cannot reduce the third law aspect of the bullet acceleration except to the effect that the brake actually angles the gas rearward which can actually move the rifle forward, which is how the shoe box works.

It seems to me the brakes on the 416 do cut recoil a lot but mathmatically, not as much as some smaller bores. The 300 Ultra mags recoil is reduced a bunch with a brake.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Paul H,

I've had two 458 lotts, and still have a 500 Jeffrey. So long as a 416 isn't too light, it's very manageable. I don't care what the mathematics say, when you fire a 458 lott or larger, it takes a fair bit of concentration.

There are quite a few rounds that generate signifigantly more recoil than the 416. My 500 Jeffrey will push a 600 gr bullet as fast as a 416 drives a 400 gr. Then there are the folks with the 600 overkills that push 900 gr the 2400 fps Now the 600 ok guys insist a muzzlebreak is essential for those loads, and in a 13# rifle, I'd concur.

has anyone ever shot a 6.25lb 416? i keep hearing people say at long as its not to light...mines light and it shoot easiser than my old .416 that was over nine lbs, quicker recoil, shorter distance easier to stop than the heavy gun, heavy gun carried thru, rocked me back alot farther and was tougher for follow up shots. the light gun is by far easier to shoot....maybe on paper and a caculator this won't make any sense..but on the shoulder or the bench...it sure feels right.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default kidding?

Brwnbr: You have to be *&^#ing us w/ that. No? Holy Bat Droppings. A 6.25 lb 416 would be wonderful to carry. What make/model/etc is it? Mine is an 11 lb, I think, w/ scope, and it sure rocks the snot out of me. Interesting.

it was built by Ultra Light Arms in WV, without the scope its 6.25lbs and with the scope its right at 7lbs, its on a 22" barrel with a 13" LOP and it shoots like a dream, you know when you pulled the trigger but i can sit down and rattle off two boxes of shells without really thinking much about it. and yes its a HUGE joy to carry and when i point it, it points like it was born to shoot, hits where you point it, i don't have to work to make it go where i want it, gun fits great!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default thanks

I'll check into that. Thanks, brwnbr. j