Thread: Msr Reactor ?????

Question Msr Reactor ?????

Has anyone tried out the MSR Reactor cooker ??
    I have the Jet Boil and am quite satisified except the striker set up .
    My hunting partner's jetboil along with mine both broke on our last trip that we just came back on .
    His broke the ceramic around the striker post and mine just quit sparking . His was brand new with zero usage and I bought mine last year .
    I had the MSR demastrated to me and I liked the set up and the pot that comes with it .
    It is a tad bigger but boy does it put out the heat !!!!!!

Just wondering if anyone has used the set up .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

As far as I know they are still not available. I ordered one last march at the show and as of the first of september, they were still not available due to a design flaw leading to redesign and remanufacture. Boondocks and REI will be the only ones to have them when they first show up. You can call Boondocks for an update...they are always willing to bring me up to speed when I call looking for mine.

Thumbs up

The first ones I looked at was at Beaver sports ?? (I think that was the name ) in Fairbanks on my way through to the hunting grounds . They had five and all of them sold and all he had left was the display model .

I still like my Jetboil !!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Reactor...

I saw one yesterday at Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine. Very neat design. Reads to be very fuel effecient, quiet, and great in the wind. Only downside I could see is the bottom of it is plastic. Perhaps not a structural issue, but I didnt like it. The pot is 1.5 liters and is marked (cleverly) on the inside of the pot in 0.5 L increments. If all you are doing is boiling water for Mountain House meals and coffee, this may be a fantastic stove. But if you are cooking grayling gumbo, chilli, mac and cheese, etc.. I feel it would be a poor choice. Also, unlike most normal stoves, you cant put another pot above it or a frying pan. You can only use the pot that comes on it. And looking at the design of the pot, it would be a bear to clean if you got it really dirty. The reactor was born to do one thing and one thing only. Boil water. I read up on it online recently as I was interested in buying a new stove myself. I had grown tired of preheating the MSR Whisperlite International in 30 mph winds. We float NW Alaska rivers in our Ally pack canoes while fly fishing for dollies. That gets us up there in the fall. That is when those 10+ pounders are abundant. The wind is a problem at times. That is why I thought the reactor would be a good choice. Decided against it after reading about its heat being "all or none". Cant simmer, cant cook. But will boil water like nobody's business. If you are just boiling water and in windy conditions, this is your stove. If you cook, at all, consider something else. I choose the MSR Windpro. A cannister stove that seperates the stove from the fuel cannister so you can use a wind screen. Weighs 6 ounces. And simmers!

I asked about the Reactor at REI in August and they said it would probably be awhile before they hit the market in any numbers. Guess they had some design or manufacturing problems and the only ones that really got out were the first shipments. I saw a demo at the Sportman's Show and they do boil water dang fast.

Default REI

They are selling them on their website now. Not sure about the earlier design problems. They are slick. But only for boiling water. Not good for cooking. Very slick though. Pricey.