Thread: Upgrading my Bow

Default Upgrading my Bow

I have been thinking about upgrading my hoyt magnatech this winter. Is the matthews switchback xl really worth the money? I have a 25 inch draw lenght so I loose speed and was wondering if I can get the speed that they say that I can pulling 60 lbs. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

I guess that depends on who you ask. If you were to ask me, I'd tell you no.

Is the bow you are shooting up to par? My guess is it's not or you wouldnt be looking at something else.

I bet if you went to a place like Fletcher's in Wasilla they would let you shoot one to see if you like it. The first Hoyt I tried (and every Browning I have tried) rocked back on my hand and *hurt* my hand to shoot. Another Hoyt was fine. I have tried out a number of bows...some only take one shot for me to reject...but I am glad I gave it a shot (excuse the pun)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Talking Upgrade

If you want to upgrade, you probably want to go to a BowTech. Why just move sideways? ;D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up highly recommend Fletchers

I don't care what you buy, you must feel confident with it, and it must be fit YOU well.. Fletchers has many bows up there for you to try, and he is very honest. If i were you go up to fletchers in wassila and try a few out, trust me, it will be worth the trip. I have a bow tech, and it is blazing fast. It just has a short brace height, so it isn't very forgiving, i practice alot with it, and i am very accurate with it out to 50 yrds. I am working on getting out to 60 or 70 with it , just takes some practice! Both bow tech and mathews have some incredible newer models you should really take a look at. Last time I was in fletchers he was also saying good things about a hoyt he had. Go up there and shoot a bit, get something good for YOU, avoid all the other hype.

I love Mathews and this will be the only bow that I will shoot from now on. They are awesome bows.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I shoot a Mathews and love it, I also shoot a lot of Bow Teck's and they are good bows as well. You can get into a Bow Tech for a few bucks less than a Mathew, at least a $100.00 most likely more. I know a few guys in your area that shoot both bows and they have a 25/26 draw. It might be possible to arrange to try one here with out going all the way down to Wasilla. My scale tips towards Mathews but I would be almost as happy with a Bow Tech.

Thumbs up

I was in the same spot you are last year .
    I have been a Martin man for the last 15 years untill I tested the Mathews Switchback XT .
    I did make the plunge and have loved it ever since .
    I did have sticker shock when I found out what they were running but it felt so right .
    Just get what fills the bill.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    If you want to upgrade, you probably want to go to a BowTech. Why just move sideways? ;D
    I will second that vote for Bowtech. Their binary cam system is the best system on the market right now. It eliminates the problems associated with solocam and traditional cam systems.

Mathwes
    Bowtech
    PSE
    Hoyt

These bows companies make good bows. It just comes down to preference.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I agree with Alaska Gray. Go shoot them all and get one that feels good and is comfortable for you to shoot.

Default What problems with solocam?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    I will second that vote for Bowtech. Their binary cam system is the best system on the market right now. It eliminates the problems associated with solocam and traditional cam systems.
    It seems to me if you see the bows that win most of the 3D shoots in the lower 48 (ASA Shoots) It would be the Mathews. Yes they spend the money to hire the best shooters to shoot their bows. I work in a bow shop and all I have to do is let people shoot the bows for them to decide which bow they want to buy. 99% pick the Mathews.

My suggestion is go shoot the bows you are interested in and buy what you like.

Mathews is my preference: NO hand shock, smooth to pull, easy to pull.

The only problem with the Mathews is: serving on the string where it meets the cam. If you hit the wall hard when you draw you will wear the serving there. If you are gentle when drawing to the wall you will not have any problems.

I hope this helps. Shoot them all and pick the bow you LIKE. It is your choice. Make up your own mind what is best for you. What it shoots like, how it feels in your hand. Make sure you get your correct draw, you would believe how many people come into the shop and tell me they are 30" draws, I measure them and they are 28 inch draw. Have fun and enjoy the sport of archery, it is a life sport for the whole family to enjoy.

Barth

Default Guys

I was speaking tongue-in-cheek about BowTech.

Sure it is mine and I love it. But picking a bow is like picking a wife. You should try several out and see which one suits your needs. Which bow feels just right in your hand. Some bows are longer, some shorter. Some might be faster, some a little slower but a little smoother shooting. Soft wheels of hard cams? Lots of options out there.

Myself: I like something around 40", good length riser 7" or so, medium cam. Unfortunately everything is short these days. I am actually looking for a second BowTech of the same model setup as a backup.

Shopping is fun. Use the internet too! Lots of field reports and bow tests out there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Cool

Go to any and all the bowshops that you can and shoot as many bows as you can. Despite the brand of bow or price, get the one that FITS and FEELS good. If it doesn't feel good, you won't shoot good. These days, there aren't that many bad bows out there and they have price ranges for everybody. Just get one that fits and don't worry about competing with the "jonses". I'm a loyal Hoyt guy, but if a PSE or Darton or Ross or Jennings or whatever feels good and you like it, get it. Good luck...

Default Mathews Bows

My Drenalin is the smoothest thing I've ever shot. Used to be a die-hard Hoyt-man until I seriously put them side by side on the range. I guess I'm a Mathews guy and I see nothing wrong with that. Good luck shopping! Test 'em all.