Thread: Moose movement rain/wind

Default Moose movement rain/wind

Checking on info about moose movement in the rain/wind?? Does it bother them much? Does it make them move around more then usual. I am bow hunting on the Air Force base and I can't seem to find a pattern. Any help??

Quote Originally Posted by akravens View Post
    Checking on info about moose movement in the rain/wind?? Does it bother them much? Does it make them move around more then usual. I am bow hunting on the Air Force base and I can't seem to find a pattern. Any help??
    I am not certain, but when windy I seldom see any animals moving around. Something else you may want to know, specially because you are a bow hunter: one of the easiest way to step too close to a bear is while hunting in windy conditions. In fact, two years ago a moose hunter decided to go out and look for moose on such a day. He was carrying a .338WM with ammo loaded with 250-grain Partition bullets. He walked around a rock outcropping, and a bear charge him from behind the rocks. The bear probably was as startled as he was, but it topple him as he fired a shot in the air. I don't remember if the bear bit him on the leg, but right after it ran away from the hunter and then turned back. The hunter, who was just getting up from the ground, didn't have time to shoulder nor aim his rifle, and fired at the bear killing it.

I have hunted on windy days several times, but from a stationary position on a rocky knob. I have never seen animals moving when very windy, nor when raining hard, but i have killed moose right after the rain, or right after heavy fog conditions (just when it clears).

Moose can move in the wind and rain, or should I say light rain. They usually stay put in a downpour, but once it stops they are on the move.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

In my experience they still move plenty during the early rut....not real sure about earlier since I haven't hunted it much (too warm/buggy). I've called in several bulls in absolutely brutal weather, from pretty far distances (up to one half mile) you just gotta wack the tree harder and use your eyes instead of your ears.

Default last night's observation

I was of the mind they did not move around much during horrible weather but I'd have to agree the rut does funny things to them...

Watched a 40-45" inch bull absolutely trash a lilac bush just off my deck last night.. And that was here in south Anchorage during 65 mph winds and sideways rain...

He walked from tree to tree thrash'n, trash'n and grunting. He was certainly "on the prowl"...

I think I read somewhere that moderate rain and wind has no affect on animals, after that the senses that protect them are severly hampered and they tend to slow down or stop their activities.

Having said that I agree with CATCH It, when love is in the air, bull moose don't seem to be spending much time thinking about moderation.

Default More active!

I would say from my experience that moose are much more active in the more crappy weather conditions ( the worse weather the better).

THis is a great question. I just returned from a 10 day moose hunt off the Yukon River. We had horrible weather. High wind and heavy rain. Calling sucked and here was zero movement on the sloughs. In the 10 days we had 2 mornings and 2 evenings that were calm and clear with no wind. The bulls came to the call and we killed then. The rest of the time the moose stayed put. We put many miles on the zodiacs looking for tracks on the river and sloughs where they were crossing. The only time we would see new fresh tracks is when it was calm for a half of a day. Other wise we seen no new sign.

Just my observation but I did plan on asking on the forum what you guys thought of calling in the wind.