Thread: Woohoo!!!!....

Talking Woohoo!!!!....

Got to work yesterday morning, opened my email, and there was an announcement that I'd been selected for early (full) retirement. Base here has a RIF going, and I'm headed out the gate. Hadn't planned to for another year and a half, but can't pass up the buyout.
    NOW, after 30 years of US Civil Service, I have to try and remember how to actually work, because I flat forgot!
    Friend of mine who retired last year phoned, said to be sure and NOT eat cheese puffs and watch 'adult' movies at the same time. Not sure why......something about an embarassing moment with his Dr.

Why would you want to "work" once you are fully retired? But enjoy the "real" life now. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I know you are excited and congratulations on the retirement. Have fun shooting and hunting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Congratulations,

I'm planning on taking an incentive myself next spring. The bad news for me is that I don't live where it's nearly as pretty as where you do. But I hope to get to your neck of the woods in the near future. Have a great, prosperous, and long retirement.

Default Ain't it funny...

You want to come here, and I'm plotting and planning to get back up there!!!
    For some reason, this whole thing is coming together without any help from me! I got my offer out of the 'fallout' denials from the first go-round on the RIF. At this stage, it's all voluntary. I didn't expect this at all! Still a month+ shy of 30 years service, and a year short on age. Amounts to $60 a month. I can mow the neighbor's lawns for $60 a month, hell, the kid down the street just bought a Yamaha trail bike mowing lawns.
    I figure hook the trailer up, start moseying north by northwest, keep fresh line on the poles, grub in the fridge, stop and dunk the nasty laundry in a creek once in awhile, and keep enough in the bank for gas and a round trip ticket for Mrs. Walton to come visit...I understand there's fish to be caught in Alaska, critters, too, and some mighty nice folks to meet!!!

Default mowin' lawns

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    You want to come here, and I'm plotting and planning to get back up there!!!
    For some reason, this whole thing is coming together without any help from me! I got my offer out of the 'fallout' denials from the first go-round on the RIF. At this stage, it's all voluntary. I didn't expect this at all! Still a month+ shy of 30 years service, and a year short on age. Amounts to $60 a month. I can mow the neighbor's lawns for $60 a month, hell, the kid down the street just bought a Yamaha trail bike mowing lawns.
    I figure hook the trailer up, start moseying north by northwest, keep fresh line on the poles, grub in the fridge, stop and dunk the nasty laundry in a creek once in awhile, and keep enough in the bank for gas and a round trip ticket for Mrs. Walton to come visit...I understand there's fish to be caught in Alaska, critters, too, and some mighty nice folks to meet!!!
    Don't scoff at it. I have a good friend that paid his way through college mowing lawns and has built it into a solid business. They mow nearly 300 lawns per week at an average of 35 bucks a pop. Not a bad income. The downside to any small business is dealing with employees, but he seems to manage. He loves it when he happens upon old highschool classmates and they ask what he is doing. His response is always the same: I mow lawns. If they only knew!

Good luck with retirement!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I retired from the AF four months early back in '94, and started "working" while still on terminal leave. I am working on my second retirement, which should come in nine years or so, since one single retirement is not enough for me. Too many toys to buy

Congratulations on your retirement Darreld! I am sure you will find plenty to do to occupy your time even if you do not go back to work. I thought I was the only one worried about having to actually work after retiring! As much as I complain about how hard my days are in the Army over all they are pretty easy in some aspects.

Good luck and if you make it up to Alaska there will be a homemade dinner and a cold beverage for you at my house!

Rob

Thumbs up Congratulations

Darreld on your retirement. I can understand about half your elation. I took full retirement 1 1/2 years ago but was able to remain working at the same job. The state will allow this till 6/30/09 then I'll be gone.

We bought land a little north of Big Lake and hope to be building in 09 for our permanent move.

May you find all of your dreams.

kingfisherktn

Default Biggest problem at the moment...

Mrs. Walton hired on, and actually worked in the cube next to me. Promoted right past my GS-9 heiny...she's going to continue to make that 320 mile a day commute till she finds something else. She's also VERY good at what she does, and the Gov't is getting a bargain with her on board. Works like she's killin' snakes! If nothing else, there's things to do in the base hobby shop, we're remodeling, and want to put up a wainscoat (sp?) around the new basement walls, have to make repairs to the wood floor upstairs, still waiting on a new furnace. She's going to take an apartment 'down there' (Hill AFB) and I figure to spend some time with her. Only 75 miles from there to Wyoming where it's still legal to be an adult. Besides, there's this little lake just south of Evanston, and when I lived there we used to pull in Browns in the 6-9 pound range, and Rainbows up to 5-6 pounds out of there from the bank, speed goats, mule deer, have had elk try to run me over, and moose used to eat out of our flower beds.....
    Grandkids showed up today, four of them, 4,3,1 1/2 years and one two months. They flat wore me out!!! The three year old won't listen to bedtime stories out of the book...his Mother puts him to sleep reading out of the S&W catalog!!! I'm not kidding one bit! He goes down into the gunroom, and just stands there and quivers. I've got a little Chipmunk .22, and he's to the point where he can hammer soda cans from the hip with it out to about 20 yards or so. Natural shot if ever I've seen one.....
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-21-2007 at 21:48. Reason: .

Take the money and run, DW. Life is short and there's grand kids to teach to shoot and the ways of the outdoors. Seems like you're grandpawin' 'em right. Let's see if I have the order right. Teach em to walk, shoot, hunt, fish, talk, ride a bike, split wood and do some home work.

I have two years or a little less to go. I don't want the grand kids to grow up til I get there, yeah they can shoot now except for the two year old, but she has her own rifle already.

Congrats!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Can't forget...

Spittin', scratchin', throwin' stuff, picking, diggin', baiting hooks, eating sammiches after baiting hooks....then later on, they have to learn how to whistle, and then whistle at the purty girls while reminding them that the girls have cooties, and the granddaughters have to be reminded that the boys spit, scratch, throw stuff, pick through 'stuff,.....and have boy germs.
    This year, Grandma took a couple of the little girls, first graders this year, and taught them how to make mudpies. Apparently a lost art to their mothers...when the littler boys wanted to help, they fed the pies to the boys. Well, at least they were smart enough to know that a second bite wasn't likely to taste or go down any better than the first one........

I know the feeling...ain't it sweet?

I'm planning it for Jan of 08 after 33 years.

But I'm going the other way. I've worked, hunted, and fished all over Alaska. I'm tired of the snow and great influx of people. I'm tired of the politic management of the fish and game.

A few years ago I bought retirement land in Virginia (It is a strange feeling; driving around, looking for a place to die).

Over the years, we have done a lot of traveling but we were always on a deadline. So we plan to travel on our own schedule.

I grew up in VA and remember hunting nearly every day. Spring, summer, fall, winter.
    In Alaska that is not really possible. Plan a hunt, save money, charter an airplane, take time off, etc., etc.

I really enjoy walking out behind the house and sitting in my stand with a good book and a thermos of hot choc. ****, I'm getting old!

I'm convinced planning is the key. Sounds like you are doing some of that now.
    When I retire, I will draw about half of what I'm making now. For the last several years we have been living on half my income and investing the rest.

I'll sell you a house in Kenai, next spring. Haha

Maybe we'll cross paths...Best of luck.