Thread: Shooting from the Haul Road - Answer

Default Shooting from the Haul Road - Answer

This question was asked a while back and I said I would get an answer from F&G.

Hi Dave, sorry I took so long to answer, I was bird hunting up at Delta Junction and just got back. I called our Glennallen Office to ask your question. Rita there tells me that we consider the whole pipeline corridor a maintained drivable surface and that our hunting regs apply under those conditions. So, no shooting from, down or across the corridor buried or not. She also said Alyeska likes folks to get a permit for hunting along the corridor. She said it doesn’t really give you any special privileges, but it helps Alyeska keep track of who’s using the corridor. Hope this helps some Dave.
    Even though it is a right-of-way and some is burried, some is driveabe, IT is considered ALL driveable and you must follow the rules accordingly. Hope this clarifies things for everyone. Does for me now too!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Did they not say anything about the Hunting Prohibition as stated on the Pass that Alyeska provides? It clearly states NO HUNTING. Very clear on this one and it does not discriminate gun hunting from bow hunting.

Default Well

Well if you can't shoot from, across or down it according to the F&G troopers; then that pretty much means no hunting the way I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Well if you can't shoot from, across or down it according to the F&G troopers; then that pretty much means no hunting the way I read it.
    Me too. But obviously that aspect has NEVER been enforced. Judging from all the pics on the internet and discussions I have had with others and my own experiences. Has anyone ever been busted for hunting on the pipeline corridor? Even Alyeska employees hunt on it. Some of it is buried for miles and you would need a metal detector to find its exact location. And does anyone know how wide the corridor really is? All this response you received, sounds pretty flaky to me, as I don't think the troopers, F&G or Alyeska knows for sure. Pretty sure that hunters don't either.

Default Answer

AKRES: My post was to answer another post on the subject. There was such a difference in opinions that I called the legal people in Anchorage for a clarification. The quote is the answer I recieved from the office in Anchorage. People may hunt from the pipeline, I have. Alyeska employees may hunt from the pipeline. But that does not mean it is right or that some day it will not be enforced. It is probably a "selective enforcement" issue. Which means....... irritate someone and it will be enforced. Just count your blessings that you have not had a problem.