Thread: Waders Neoprene or breathable?

Default Waders Neoprene or breathable?

For a bear/bou hunt what type of waders do you use? These would also be the lower half of my rain gear. I like the waist highs, are they OK or will chest waders be nessesary? I stay away from hippers as they just pull on my pants, are generally uncomfortable, and you rear still gets wet.
    The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to purchase a new pair and the breatable seem to be OK as you can layer underneath but they are very baggy(I'm a 34" waist) so I thought that may lead to snagging/tears when on a hike. But neoprene can make you sweat more easily which is also a bad thing. If this needs to be in the gear section let me know, it ust seams most of the people that hang out there are hikers more than hunters/fishermen.
    Thanks
    Justin

Default Sterns, Cabelas

Hip high and chest, the most you can afford, I'd rather be a bit hot than wet.
    If ya start to sweat, take a break.
    Good Luck
    Louie

Default I use chest waders only

I haven't used neopreme much.

I did a 6 mile hike through nasty nasty stuff the other day (along a branch of the Chena) wearing Hodgman chest waders.

I learned many years ago to always use the highest chest waders possible. Hip waders are good for limited purposes and know certain folks that use them primarily, but not me. I always find myself in deeper water than I expected or if I stumble in even shallow water the chest waders are awesome. Mine are light weight, so being extra high doesn't matter. When going through wet brush I always wear a rain jacket with a hood that extends well beyond my chest waders making a pretty water tight system (though in wet conditions it is impossible to stay perfectly dry).

Default breathables

I've used the waist highs from cabelas ( premium dry plus ) for hunting and fishing, busted through lots of brush in these and they lasted for a couple years, actually finally wore them out this year and am buying another pair. If it's warm just wear your underwear and if it's cold then I wear thermax long johns or fleece wader insulater pants. They dry quick and are very comfortable for walking and hiking with good boots but make sure you try out your boots etc. bfore you go just like you would with regular hunting boots if your planning on doing lots of walking. I highly recomend the breathables..............

Breathables if you plan on walking anywhere
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Tape and Gortex

What do you guys think about the GorTex pants duct taped to knee high rubber boots for a water proof outfit? Seriously.

might not be a bad idea for short duration crossings, but for long distance crossings I'd question it, though I've never tried it.

Walked 8 miles through a jungle this past spring to where I air dropped a pioneer pro for a bear float. No holes and breathables are the way to go. I use waist waders

Ditto on the breathables. I owned neoprenes for years ...They're perfectly fine for stationary fishing in a stream or not too much walking, but a pain walking longer distances. I didn't like sitting in boats with them either since they don't really want to let you bend with ease (not very far anyway.)

Brian

Default Waders

Wore an old pair of simms waders that had some pinholes and my Korkers guide boots on a 16 mile walk in with roughly 20+ river crossings last week.

I would definitly go breatheable and if walking up the riverbed the felt sole is nice with 60 lb pack.

Default wouldn't do it

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesheep View Post
    What do you guys think about the GorTex pants duct taped to knee high rubber boots for a water proof outfit? Seriously.
    If I were needing something on the spur of the moment I might try it. Depends on how water tight the gortex is and how much I planned to use it. In wet brushy every step you take you will be rubbing the tape and eventually it will pull off. Besides, I dont find that duct tape sticks well to rubber, particularly cold wet rubber and dont know how well it would hold. Make sure and have knees in bent position when taping or you will keep things too tight and rip the goretext from the boots when kneeling...

Default orvis guide series gortex breathable chest high waders

had these 5 yrs now, and no problems. I put them on as soon as I get out of the truck , hunting or fishing. you can layer very well under them. I figure I wear mine at least 60 days a yr, probably more. Like they said above, get the best you can afford, and don't hestitate to cruise end of the yr sales, I always do well at those.

I've crossed several knee high streams with rubber boots and impertech. I did not always stay perfertly dry but short term it will do. Friend I was with was wearing Danners and impertech and doing the same thing, his Danners were very well oiled and he wore Gortex socks too.

I bought a set of White river waist waders and cabela's wading boots and they worked great on my moose hunt this fall. I was in and out of the raft all day long, no leaks, they are a little noisy whew walking thru the tundra, but I a little noise is better than being wet. When it rained I would put my Impertec jacket on and I was alway dry. Let me tell you it is hard to stay dry on a float hunt. Our float was 11 day 130 miles. Price waders were $89. boots $59.