Thread: GPS got me home

Default GPS got me home

For those of you,,,like me that didnt have faith in there GPS . It made a believer out of me last night. I was doing a brokedown buddy rescue last night on the Tannana packing out moose and soaked buddys whos hovercrafts both broke and left them stranded in a nasty location. It was so dang dark on that river you couldnt see 5' in front of the boat. Windy and solid rain at the same time. I dont know about you guys but Ive never trusted the "tracks" window on the GPS. I tried to go by the old way of no lights and good natural night vision. Well it didnt work. I got into some unknown braids and got loster than crap. ;-) Well I had the GPS on and decided trust or not it had a better idea of where I was than I did. I just trusted the little running guy in the screen and he took me through the braids stumps logs and sweepers right back to the landing. That was so cool, I was just sure he was lost. One of those deals when your brain says go straight and the little man says go left. Anyway made it back with technology. Hard for a redneck.

Good to hear you made it back safe and sound!

I haven't needed the GPS to guide me out but I still carry it. I made two trips on the Matanuska River in my boat to get my moose to the truck with nothing but the light from a green LED headlamp. That sure was interesting.

I have learned to trust my GPS, hasent let me down yet. Just wish the screen would refresh a little quicker on some of the more twistier (is that a word) rivers

I've used GPS to get us out of a snowstorm on snowmachine. The wind was so strong and snowing so hard, I could barely make out the tail light of the machine 10 feet in front of me. I couldn't see the trail between the skis of the sled I was riding. Visibility was zero! The GPS "breadcrumb trail" allowed us to retrace our path and got all six of us home safely that day.

My friend had a similar experience in PWS. A September storm quickly brewed, and they got caught in it. GPS got them back to Whittier in the total darkness and driving rain.

One suggestion for handheld GPS users.....Lithium Batteries! Li batteries work much better in the cold and last a lot longer than their alkaline counterparts. They are well worth the extra money!

Thumbs up Same here

GPS on snowmachine last winter saved the day for my son-in-law and me. We just followed the track back to our truck. I always run the rivers with it even when I know the river. It just makes it a lil easier on the way home when I am tired out from the day's activities

Default Yup.. Good tools, but

Don't learn to rely on them too much, there is no excuse for dying becuase you took a gps and thought you didn't need the proper gear for an un-expected overnighter, or totally replaced your compass and map skills for the cool gps that has got you out of every other situation but the one that it didn't. I sure was happy to have mine when I was coming back from fishing in the inet with fog so thick that 50 feet was all you could see ahead of you, it was a trip when I shot out of the fog and saw the truck, if I had used my compass I would have found the beach allright, but would have had to do some searching for camp. What a cool tool they are indeed.

Chris

I was like you. Never really trusted one until one night 6 miles off the haul rd. It got us back to our camp....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

PS... Just make sure you know how to use it. They can send you in the wrong direction. Practice..... Dont ask me how I know.

GPS saved my bacon last week also. It was dark and raining and I had been using the GPS to get back to the boat. When I got within .25 miles of the boat I thought I knew where I was and shut it off, put it back in my pack. That was a mistake! Nothing looks familiar in the dark and I added another hour to my hike because I got way off the trail before I gave up and started listening to my GPS. I am more trusting of my Garmin now, and just glad I bought stock in GRMN when it was in the $50's!!

Running with a GPS is a satisfying experience. Here on the Yukon I've run in smoke, fog and after dark. Waypoints are added manually, one leg I have to get into Circle has 30 waypoints to cover 4 miles. It wasn't easy putting trust into it until it was actually put to use. Now I'm a firm believer. I use it even in good conditions for verification.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Delta View Post
    I just trusted the little running guy in the screen and he took me through the braids stumps logs and sweepers right back to the landing.
    What about the other boat that was lost? Did the little guy point them out before you ran over them?