Thread: SE Deer Intel...

Question SE Deer Intel...

Anybody been out yet? There were three articles in the paper (Juneau Empire) yesterday about the winterkill and it's effects. They were hinting at possible closing doe season early this year to allow for better survival.

I've been hearing a lot of reports that there aren't many deer around, and I'm curious what everybody else has seen. I made it up yesterday, but because of the weather I didn't take the boat. We saw three deer, which is pretty good for the road system, but I didn't see a single set of fawn tracks. How's everybody else doing?

I skippered out of sitka again this summer. This year while running I hardly saw any deer at all compared to a ton of them last year.

I had also heard a report from fish and game in sitka that the deer fawns were running terribly small. Something to the tune the does held off dropping (which I didnt know was possible) due to the winter. Regardless baranof on the west side didnt sound to good.

Job: Late winter/early spring I saw several deer and was pleased beyond measure that they had "made it" through that buttload of snow.

I went out once so far this year and saw nothing on a mountain that always provides something.

I did see fresh tracks that were both small and big as well as fresh eats. But, I did not notice any heavy use areas.

Lunger and I are going to go out in the morning. I'll PM you with our observations.

PS... I should have mentioned that on the day I went up, there was some serious sideways rain.

I've been up twice......First time up was a quickie....Saw 2 deer, 1 buck and one doe....Buck was way tooo far up for me to attempt...

Second trip we saw one small spike....Was moving into heavy timber to fast to make a shot.....Saw some decent fresh sign, but no other deer....We were up high in the alpine and it was about 90 freaking degrees out....I thought I was gonna die so I can only imagine how the deer were feeling...

check your PM's on PHE.com Soggy....

seen 3 does and a fawn this year, all looked healthy I hope the bucks come down to join them soon as the area they are in is an easy afternoon afeild.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Ketchikan

The hunters are doing good out of Ketchikan from what I'm hearing from friends in the area. Some real nice bucks off of POW so far. Check out www.blacktailcountry.com for pix

But from what I've heard, farther north on the panhandle was hit a lot harder than the southern end. Here in PWS the deer made it through in good shape. Lots of fawns and yearlings and some nice bucks taken so far.

Thumbs up Ketchikan area

is doing fine! My 2 boys and 2 friends hunted alpine 2 weeks ago on POW and came back with 1 4x3, 1 4x4, 1 3x3 and 3 2x2's. The old man will join them for a week hunt 11/2. Looking forward to it.

kingfisherktn

Default Southern SE

...is about the only place that wasn't completely covered in snow all winter. I took the milk run in February and while there was only about 6 in. on the ground around the runway in Ketchikan, Wrangell had about a foot and a half and Petersburg and Juneau were waist deep in snow. About the only really good hunting reports I've heard have been from POW. Most of what I've heard and seen in Juneau has been the same as OneLung. Both times I've been out I've seen atleast one deer but I haven't seen any of the high traffic areas that I was seeing last year. It seems like most of the people I talk to say they saw a couple deer but it's not like last year when you would see 9 or 10 deer in the alpine in a morning.

Looks like this weekend we're going to make a quick hunt also to north POW.

Backstrap Saturday Night!

kingfisherktn

Just went out today with SoggyMountain....Saw almost no real sign....Saw more bear traffic than deer...

We pushed 1 deer, but never got a visual on it and that was it...flippin amazing...

Default Was on Northern Chichicof

in early August and saw alot of carcasses on the beach. Hunted for a few days while visiting family. Saw 5 Does and no Fawns for 3 days hunting. only went into the alpine once and didn't see crap. Family said it was a really hard winter on the game had a total of like 28 feet of snow. Hopefully the Game managers see a decrease and maybe slow down doe season. On Northern Chicigof they need to loosen the regs on the Brownies, that place is crawling with them. I personnaly saw 6 on the road system alone.

I put the word out to the POW crowd... this is your year to proxy hunt for us up here in Juneau!

Talking Soggy,

darned! I forgot to get your proxy permit. lol

I had luck in the alpine in August on Douglas and North Admiralty, emphasis on luck. Not a lot of deer around but there are some. Rough winter. Good luck.

Luke