Thread: 2 weeks wide open

Default 2 weeks wide open

What should a a guy do with 2 weeks left to do it in?

I'm bored silly here, all my plans have fallen through............

Have you harvested anything yet? If not...there are still 2 weeks left of moose hunting in some areas. If you've already taken a moose, berry-fed black bears should be getting fat and tasty. Also, Steese Highway caribou might be worth a shot. Apparently they're not on the highway yet, but if you spend enough time, you just might get lucky.

Man, figuring out what to do with 2 weeks is a problem I'd like to have right now.

Brian,

I just returned home from fish guiding 2 days ago. Was going to do a fly out moose hunt with a buddy, that got kaboshed, as did a backup solo moose fly out. Thought about going to kodiak, was going to foot the bush flight bill if I could find a buddy to go, no one was up for it, to short of notice, or had other plans.

Really not into black bears. Or the haul road or fairbanks management area for moose.

Dont own a 4 wheelr or a power boat, but I do own some rafts. This puts me a little out of my element where I normally spend my hole year planning for sheep and hunting sheep, these past two seasons I have not stepped foot in the sheep hills.

not quite sure what to do, or where to do it.

I have the same problem. I have no job and all my friends do. Add to that I am the only one with an empty freezer! Seriously there is nothing in it I just took it out and cleaned it cause I am hoping to fill it up. I have been putting in some time at the range trying to get my new 325 WSM sighted in but that is it. I am realy trying to nail down a boat for some PWS deer but a moose shure would fill that freezer faster.

guess I'm just looking for something to do. Dont have to fill a freezer though some meat would be nice, I haven't shot an animal big game in alaska since 2002, have passed on a couple so have had the opportunity which is the fun part.

Also have a job, go back to work in 2 weeks. Have 5k set aside for this fall's hunting season and havent touched a penny.

I could drop off some hides that need fleshing, if that would help.

boy thats mighty thoughtful. I think I had enough catering for crackers though and would rather go out and enjoy something...................................

shoot man, hit lake george for some goats, cheap flying and lots of critters, thats where i'd start for sure! second, i'd tell me where a legal ram is in the park so i've got something to do this week...lol
    lake george is my bet, or grizz somewhere above treeline, the grizz should be at the peak right now!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Drive down to Anch. Take your raft/propioneer/or whatever. Plus all your hunting/camping gear. Take Frontier to Aniak, then on to say..... Marshall......look up gogoalie..........hahahaha! Well, inflate your raft in Marshall and start floating the Yukon. Poke your raft into some sloughs. Check out some likely river banks, etc. You can float all the way to Emmonak if you want, or get out at any village along the river and fly back to Anch. Grant Aviation has direct service to Anch. from Emo. Unti 18 is currently some of the best moose hunting in the state. Might see a black bear, or even a brownie.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I like the Lake George idea - been thinking of that one myself for years.

There are still 3 days left to hunt sheep. I have a friend that spotted a legal ram from the road two years ago on closing day and connected. Sometimes the rams will be pushed out towards the ends of the valleys by hunting pressure and snow. Might be worth a shot? A low chance of success, perhaps, but at least you'd be in the sheep mountains.

Or...Unit 13 or 20 brown bear? Plenty of decent places to chase those on foot.

actually I've considered going to a couple sheep spots I have that are road accessable. I dont however quite have the time to reach and really hunt either of them. Remember I am a longbow hunter. It could happen and has weighed heavily. If I left tomorrow I wouldnt be in by the evening of the 18th.....

With visibility and the forecast the way it is, just finding sheep is going to take a lot more then luck. Again hunting alone. I have shot two rams stickbow style hunting alone. It's not all that much fun, it is but it isnt.

whiner....lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

lol. Everyones gotta be a joker

Naw just being realistic with my time. there isn't enough to get into the areas I hunt with the time I have left and still hunt. So though I gave it consideration as I am itching to get back into sheep mountians. I figured I'd dedicate my fall again next fall to sheep before anything else. This fall I was thinking moose, and caribou as a distant back up. I really dont care for bear hunting. So that is out from the get go.

Fly to Cordova and go do a goat hunt.