Thread: Insulated Or Uninsulated Hip Boots?

Default Insulated Or Uninsulated Hip Boots?

I am leaving for the Alaska Pennisula in three weeks for my first Alasken adventure and to top that I'm going for a brown bear. I thought I pretty much had everything figured out to take and ready to go but now I'm have second thoughts. I'm down to one thing, I purchased some insulated hip boots but I am wondering if the will be to hot. They have 600 grams of thinsulate in them, and I intend to wear poly lines and wool socks under them. I am going October 9 thur 21, and I'm told the weather could be 25 to 60 degrees and plan on rain. But other than that I feel pretty good about going. I would like to thank everyone that replied to any one of my threads, it has helped and to those threads that a have read and learned from. thanks, brad

i won't guide brown bear on the pen without insulated boots, they aren't to hot until you start hiking up a mountian which is rare in the fall, you'll be walking in cold water and it'll freeze at night sometimes, take the insulation!!!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Arrow

mine are insulated and my feet are happy about it.

look at it this way. You either have cold feet or sweety feet...either way your feet are going to be wet due to the rubber boots. All humans feet sweat to various degrees. I'd rather be warm and wet then cold and damp.

I came back from a float hunt on the 10th north of Fairbanks. I took uninsulated hip boots and my feet were cold all day long. Next year they will be insulated.

Well, so far I 4 votes for insulated so I'm thinking I made the right decision.

Default muck boots

I just got done doing a float and spent more time out of the raft than in it. I had the new breathable insulated Muck hip boots. They preformed great and my feet never got cold. They are also more form fitted around the ankle so they walk well.

Default hip boots

Lacrosse 600 ankle fits you can't beat em. the only time i would want uninsulated hip waders is if i was just goin to the little su or something for the day and didn't actually plan on standing in water

Default Hip boot comments

I go with non insulated hippers before the middle of September and insulated after that. There have been times in early September when I wished I had the insulated boots on, let me tell you! I agree with these guys. Go with the warmer boots.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Recommended

Any specific boots recommended? I will be going on a similar hunt. I have many pairs of hip boots, but none I would want to do much hiking in.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Charterboat Operator

Default Lacross- Ankle Fit

I prefer mine un-insulated, but that is my feet conditions. layering of socks does it for me perfectly. howwever if i weas ever going to reccomend any boot they would be the Lacross INSULATED ankl fit.

Yes, go with the insulated hip boots, I wear them all summer and clear into fall. LaCrosse Big Chief ankle fit hippers with 600 gram thinsulate works great.

Default Kotz trip

Just got back from a week in Kotz caribou hunting. Wore the Cabelas comforttrac 800gr thinsulate rubber hippers. Walked all day in these boots and was glad to have them. Very comfortable. Never saw a reason to take them off except in camp. GREAT product.
    Bruce

Default Lacrosse

Who carries the Lacrosse in Anchorage?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I bought mine at Boondocks in Eagle River last year, i'm pretty sure they still carry them.

Charterboat Operator

Default Mountain View Sports

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Who carries the Lacrosse in Anchorage?
    mvs usually has a good supply

B&J Commercial also has La Crosse boots.

I just got back from a brown bear hunt. I spent a lot of time in my La Crosse insulated hip boots. They were comfortable, warm and dry. I wouldn't want the uninsulated versions in the cold rain we were in. It's really nice having some insulation this time of year.