Thread: Fishing Ketchikan

Default Fishing Ketchikan

I and 3 others will be flying into Ketchikan on july 20th. We are staying at Clover Pass Resort. We are taking a guided trip all day on the 21st and then renting a boat for the next three days. The boat has the down riggers and fish finders and so forth.

In that time frame, what can we expect. Good time for both silvers and kings? The impression that i get is that we are just getting into good silver fishing and just coming off the peak for kings. We fish for both here in Washington but is it the same? We fish with either cut plugs behind a flasher or we tie the flasher to the downrigger and put the herring (often in a helmet head holder of some kind) above the flasher. If we can get into thick fish, we just put on a bannana weight and maybe a herring or a spoon.

give some pointers to the new guy on the block. I would appreciate all you can tell me about my timing, my rigging, or anything else.

lee

come on people i need advice from the masters.

lee

Where is the help here boys and girls. I was hoping that you all would let me know what the heck im getting into by going to ketchikan on the 20th of july. Give me something.

lee

Sounds to me like you're fulyt adept at fishing w/o any advice. Most of these posts here deal with the Seward area. Ketchikan does not make the headlines much regarding fishing.

Default fish around K-town

Yep Arts is right .... there are no Fish in the Ketchikan area.

That is a little late for Kings but there should be Silvers in the bay. There could be a few Kings still being caught at the Herring Cove fishing area (hatchery fish). The limit there is like a dozen with no size restriction. Not sure when the special rules for Herring Cove fish end, but I will find out and let you know.

Your methods that work down south will work here.

I just got back from a trip outside and plan on getting out on the water in the next few days.

what i was told was that the kings are running a little late and that there whoudl be plenty still around there and the silvers should just be getting good. they call themselves the fishign capital of the world and you say they dont make the headlines?

lee

Default deck hand

I just talked to a young deck hand that works on a charter boat out of Ketchikan. He said the warm days have made fishing during the day kinda slow. But late in the evening it is hot.

They are still catching good ones (bright Kings) at Mt Point & Herring Cove.

Post Ketchikan

I fished there once with a friend. He had only a small skiff. We used whole herring with one of those herring keepers to keep the bait on. They are commercially made though and readily available. He had a downrigger and we used it, but I don't recall the depth. The other pole was simply lined out from the boat, ohhh I don't recall how many boat lengths either, it was several years ago. I would ask the place who is renting you the boat for suggestions and pay attention to the way the charter guide is fishing and ask him questions.

good luck

Default Herring Cove Area

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...10-06%20EO.pdf

Check out this link to the King Salmon regs in the area.

Limit is 12 a day and it don't count aginst a Non-Res annual limit.

Good till the end of July.

did he happen to say if he thought that it woudl still be ok in two weeks and did he mention anything about silvers? thanks for what you have given me so far.

lee

Default Silvers

The Silvers are just beginning to show up .... like one here and one there.

I just talked with my hunting guide partner (he is charter fishing out on the west coast out of Craig) and he said they got like 6 today.

It will only be getting better.

i am grateful for all your help!

lee