Thread: Researching Fly Fishing Vacation for '08

Default Researching Fly Fishing Vacation for '08

My brother and I are looking into an Alaska fly-fishing vacation for 2008, likely one week in late August or Early September. We're both well-seasoned dry-fly fisherman on streams and rivers in Colorado/Wyoming for rainbows, browns, and cutthroat. We'd like to fish for salmon and rainbows on the Kenai, but we'd be open to considering other rivers.

We're looking for a cabin or lodge experience/vacation package. We're open to hearing from lodge owners, but we'd REALLY like to hear from forum members directly about their good and bad experiences, and who you would recommend to use, or who to stay away from.

Thanks very much,

I live in Kenai and fish the river rather voraciously. There will be some great opportunities to fish rainbows and dollies on the upper Kenai as well as the tale end of the red salmon season on the middle and lower river. If you decide to fish the Kenai at the time you specified, expect to see a plethora of boats on the upper Kenai where the trout fishing is spectacular.

I couldn't recommend a package deal as I never have to seek out such services locally. If you want some tranquility and excellent fishing, I'd advise you to check out Guth's Lodge on the Iliamna River. His is the only lodge on that body of water; he worked for my dad years back and we went over and fished with him and caught copious amounts of arctic char in June and didn't see another boat. The rainbow fishing and char fishing, by Marty's accounts, is phenomenal during that time of year and you won't see 1/1000th the pressure as you'd witness on the Kenai. His lodge is beautiful, remote and is one of the few places I've been to in Alaska where I truly felt as if I were the lone person on the face of the earth.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

I highly suggest Domanic, dan and shane run a 1st class operation out of cooper landing. The work the upper kenai, the canyon and the mid river. They are great at putting people on the bows, dollys and reds. They have access to help you with lodging and places to eat in the cooper landing area. I do suggest you at least talk to them and see what they have to offer. I see them all the time on the river and after 22 years in alaska floated with them for the first time 4 years ago. I went out and bought myboat right after that and have not missed many weekends on the river since. Great outfit, great people,great times
    Good luck
    fish on
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight