Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks management area?

Default Fairbanks management area?

After trying to read the description of the Fairbanks Management Area and being completely lost, I found a map. Seeing as how a picture is worth a thousand words and all that I thought I would share.

Oh and anyone wishing to divulge a decent walk-in (no wheeler or boat) moose spot would be my hero. I'm semi-new to the area and admittedly haven't done my scouting homework (kind of thought the Salcha hunt I tagged along for would produce meat, but the sunny weather nixed that).

Does the city or borough have limitations on hunting that conflict with F&G?

Fairbanks Management Area: this area consists of that portion of Unit 20(B) bounded by a line from the confluence of Rosie Creek and the Tanana River, northerly along Rosie Creek to the middle fork of Rosie Creek through Section 26 to the Parks Highway, then east along the Parks Highway to Alder Creek, then upstream along Alder Creek to its confluence with Emma Creek, then upstream along Emma Creek to its headwaters, then northerly along the hydrographic divide between Goldstream Creek drainages and Cripple Creek drainages to the summit of Ester Dome, then down Sheep Creek to its confluence with Goldstream Creek, then easterly along Goldstream Creek to Sheep Creek Road, then north on Sheep Creek Road to Murphy Dome Road, then west on Murphy Dome Road to Old Murphy Dome Road, then east on Old Murphy Dome Road to the Elliot Highway, then south on the Elliot Highway to Davidson Ditch, then southeasterly along the Davidson Ditch to its confluence with the tributary to Goldstream Creek in Section 29, then downstream along the tributary to its confluence with Goldstream Creek, then in a straight line to First Chance Creek, then up First Chance Creek to the summit of Tungsten Hill, then southerly along Steele Creek to its intersection with the Trans-Alaska Pipeline right-of-way, then southeasterly along the easterly edge of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline right-of-way to the Chena River, then along the north bank of the Chena River to the Moose Creek dike, then southerly along the Moose Creek dike to its intersection with the Tanana River, and then westerly along the north bank of the Tanana River to the point of beginning

Default Dm 788

Are you hunting DM 788 or just the archery area for bulls? If you are in hunting bulls it is any bull and archery only. Lots of guys live up there on this forum.

Which hunt do you need info on, DM 788 or the general hunt for archery?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

thanks Dave, sorry for the confusion.

I'm not a drawing winner, so would be in the "spike fork or greater" category. Could drive up chatanika or anywhere else for that matter.

Preference is to walk into an area and still hunt while calling.

Default Lots

Wainwright, dike along the Tannana, Chena Lakes State Park, Creamers Field...

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    thanks Dave, sorry for the confusion.

I'm not a drawing winner, so would be in the "spike fork or greater" category. Could drive up chatanika or anywhere else for that matter.

Preference is to walk into an area and still hunt while calling.
    Bulls in the FMU are typically unresponsive to calling, although giving a few cow calls may sometimes bring those young bulls in a little closer. Your best bet will probably be just walking or driving around until you see something.

thanks lab man - good to know

I've had a few around Birch and Quartz (not in FMU) get interested in calls during mid-summer, but haven't been out many other places around here.

I wonder if the eastern edge of the unit at the flood control project is decent. I've got a small inflatable and was wondering if it might be possible to float down from the moose creek dike? Looking at aerials it looks like there are lots of good oxbows etc. to around there.

I really hate road hunting, but I guess I'd be up for it if it meant meat in the freezer. Would that be the basic steese, CHSR, and richardson kind of drives or are there good side roads to get on? I guess not knowing the area too well I'm worried about private property or varying regulations. Any big road hunters out there with tips?

The boundry on the east side of the FMA is the western boundry of the dyke itself, which is bone dry. Once you get up on the dyke going east you are outside of the FMA. So the hole flood project is off limits for the FMA any bull area. Means everything south of the chena, east of the dyke to the tanana river is off limits for the FMA season dates and bull requirements, outside the dates are different!!!! You could float the chena and you could possibly call a bull over to the beyond the high water mark on the north bank of the chena which is the boundry from the dyke to the pipe line just west of nordale road. That section does get hunted and there are a full bulls around and you'll likely have it all to yourself, but don't expect to see a ton of animals. Really count your blessing if you even find a bull and get to stalk one!

You could however hunt the park and there are usually a few bulls shot every year inside the park. It's not full of animals and it's not an "easy" hunt, but they are there. Then again when you work for the corp of engineers and can drive around and hunt where you please, it stands to reason one of their employees shoots bulls outside of the open area in the park on most years.

Becareful of private land. The local mentality is to kill it first, beg for forgiveness later. Unfortunatly we have a bad rap as we do in the haul road, however this much more visible for a lack of a better way of putting things. It's getting worse as the years go on. Sit in on the fairbanks board of advisory and listen to what the non hunting public has to say. I'm just saying to be a RESPONSIBLE bowhunter!

There are however areas that are virtually unhunted, or lightly hunted. Get online and look at the FMA via a aireal and you'll get a good idea. It takes some leg work. I've hunted the FMA 12 seasons now and have killed one bull, missed one other. Have seen a ton though lately over the years there is less and less both cows and bulls.

bulls ARE responsive to calling in the FMA. Dont expect to call one up while you're in a rig, on a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile and dont expect to call one up if you were spotted by a bull ON or IN any of these rigs. They do get pressured pretty good, just because of where they live. Dogs, hikers, vehicles, people, and of course hunters. They still grunt, rake trees, cow call, and respond well to it. Keep things much softer, not so agressive (this isn't a trophy hunt, you don't want to sound like golith slaying a giant here), and more sporadic. The less pressured area you find the more this is going to be true!

SO get out of your vehicle, or better yet, get in it and start driving around and finding these areas. I've spoon fed my spots off to too many people who've ran off on there own and taken there buds in there. Now my hidey holes are full of "friends" you never hear from. Gotta love it.

Good luck and with a bit of persistence you can find a place to hunt. But dont get to discourged if someone else is hunting it also, riding around on a 4 wheeler running everything out of the area, driving bulls noctornal, killing animals in illegal areas, or shooting them on private land and having them die in peoples back yards, seeing bulls running around with arrows stuck in them, or the typical haul road ditch diving associated with finding a bull off the road. This is not a hunt for the average person who plans on spending a lifetime as a bowhunter, if this is you, you'll sadly be dissappointed in this hunt as with many other hunts and hunters here in this great state! Sad to say it, there are times you have to call it as it is, not as we'd like it to be.

thanks tradbow, agree with a lot of what you said. I haven't taken anything with my bow bigger than rabbits and spruce hens, but being in the woods is a huge part of it for me. Thus, my desire to try and avoid road hunting. I wouldn't be ashamed if I road hunted a tasty spike bull, but if I had the choice I'd rather be in the woods.

That's what I understood about the eastern boundary of the FMA as well, sorry if I was confusing. I was looking at the chena west of there, basically starting there and hunting the south side of the river. I've got a little prop motor and depending on water could probably get down a little ways - looks pretty uninhabited until you get closer to Nordale. Did you mean to say it does or does not get hunted a lot?

I'll ask the raft board if it's possible to float from the dike to nordale. looks like the west of the dike south of the river is part of the FMA...hate to hit a giant log jam though!

I'm with you on being an ethical and responsible bow hunter...we are lucky to get to hunt closer to civilization sometimes and a few bad eggs give us all a black eye.

Default A little difficult to understand...

The map is definitely a little difficult to understand.

The best way to understand it is this:

If you start in central Fairbanks, the Fairbanks Management Area extends out towards Ester and then in the other direction around Farmers Loop, almost out to Fox on the Steese.
    Off Chena Hot Springs Road... there are areas that are not part of the FMA, so be watchful.
    When you come down Chena Hot Springs Road to Nordale Road and go towards North Pole, the FMA will start again at Chena River (the sign isn't bullet proof and TONS of bullets are in it) and extend into North Pole until the Chena Flood Control Project and back up the dike for the Tanana River towards Fairbanks and back toward Ester.

If you look at a mapquest map, you could see how to roads do a decent job of dividing up the FMA and makes it a far more clearer.

Hope that helps.
    Lurker.

The float is a fun float, pretty uneventful for snags and such. there is one shallow spot not far down from the boat launch that sticks out in my head. After that for the most part it's an easy run depth wise even with a prop. A prop on a lift and you'd be set. The float to nordale is fun, and yes, not very inahabited and when the rifle season closes, there are very very few if any bowhunters on that section of water. There is however not very many bulls from what I've seen either. There is one spot that stuck out and i'm sure if you spent a week or two in there you might find a bull, and he might just be responsive enough to call in (it's that time of year you know!) You may even draw bulls in from the north side of the river.

There is a few cabins oh, 1/3 to half way between the park and nordale. I still believe your better hunting is in the chena park then off the river if you're looking for bulls, that said you may find one on the river, I've never seen one the few times we've hunted it, that means little though.

There are some other "floats" if you can call them that. Short sections of sloughs that take you out into un inhabited areas. Look them over carefully before you float them. I know of a couple good ones, one in particular for cows that is maybe a mile long. Where there's cows there's bound to be bulls eventually eh?

I just dont get all that excited about it anymore. So best of luck and maybe I'll see ya out there, keep us posted either way.

thanks all - the current weather is definitely more to my liking for moose hunting, appreciate the help and hopefully I can get out for an evening or two...maybe even a weekend.

Good hunting

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    The map is definitely a little difficult to understand.

The best way to understand it is this:
    Until I found the map I posted I was totaly lost! Once you see the visual it starts to make sense. Thanks for the layman's terms!

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Until I found the map I posted I was totaly lost! Once you see the visual it starts to make sense. Thanks for the layman's terms!
    I have to ask... are you being facetious? (Ha! It's okay if you are!)
    Well... I'll try to help when I can. (shrugs)
    I am not always the person to ask, but I'll post to learn as well.
    Lurker.

good one eh? ok, maybe not

(cool new avatar pic by the way)

Jokester! Got it.
    I just can't seem to get away from you guys.
    Between you, gogoalie, kingfisher, and soggymountain... ARG!
    You have earned the profound privilege of being on my jokester list!

Well... next time you need help, I'll remember these times...
    Lurker.

Smile Easy Mark!

Some times I can't resist--it's tooo fun!

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Some times I can't resist--it's tooo fun!

kingfisherktn
    How DID I ever know that you were going to find that post!!!
    Laughing my SHINS off!
    Can't resist? Eh?
    Easy mark?
    Arg.
    Well, paybacks WILL be remembered and eternity is a LOOOONG time for paybacks, my dear friend. You just wait.
    Lurker.

Talking Paybacks?

Bring it on! grin

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Bring it on! grin

kingfisherktn
    Ketchikan is not all that big, you know. Better watch out.
    Bring it on? It's on.
    ....but it can't be on this thread because we are hi-jacking said man's thread about FMA boundaries and maps.
    So, if you wanna pick on me, you are going to have to start another thread.
    Lurker.

at least I make myself laugh if nobody else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast