Thread: Homemade Shooting rest...

Thumbs up Homemade Shooting rest...

Ok, this was just something I threw together in about 30 mins:
    (Ok so I've got a new DeWalt set I need use for, Okay???)

Now, the first thing I did was take an old peice of 2x4 about 6" long & cut some angles into it, to the halfway mark ('bout 1 3/4" in) & then I used my drill to remove the angled cut (my sawzall blade went missing), leaving a good 2 1/2" for the rest on the stock. I then smoothed out the V cut with a lil bit of whittling & some sandpaper, & then I took my drill & screwed that piece into another 2x4, perpendicular.

Then I took two more 2x4's (small about 4" in length) & slapped them to either of the side (too keep the V cut from tipping) with some screws, now the front rest is done. (I use an old unused bag of beans for the V to hold the rifle).

For the rear rest, I used an old angle cut 2x4, that fit the angle of my buttstock, surprisingly, & then slapped that to two more 2x4's about 4" in length as well...& Viloa! You have yourself an easy cleaning & or Shooting rest for the range...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Ok, this was just something I threw together in about 30 mins:
    (Ok so I've got a new DeWalt set I need use for, Okay???)

Now, the first thing I did was take an old peice of 2x4 about 6" long & cut some angles into it, to the halfway mark ('bout 1 3/4" in) & then I used my drill to remove the angled cut (my sawzall blade went missing), leaving a good 2 1/2" for the rest on the stock. I then smoothed out the V cut with a lil bit of whittling & some sandpaper, & then I took my drill & screwed that piece into another 2x4, perpendicular.

Then I took two more 2x4's (small about 4" in length) & slapped them to either of the side (too keep the V cut from tipping) with some screws, now the front rest is done. (I use an old unused bag of beans for the V to hold the rifle).

For the rear rest, I used an old angle cut 2x4, that fit the angle of my buttstock, surprisingly, & then slapped that to two more 2x4's about 4" in length as well...& Viloa! You have yourself an easy cleaning & or Shooting rest for the range...
    Ok ...good job! Now go take it apart and put some good Titebond, PL Cement, Gorilla Glue, or other outdoor-ready glue on all those mating surfaces and reinstall the screws. It'll just take a minute and it will prevent recoil from loosening up all your hard work when you're out shooting ...that's no fun. Glued-n-screwed is the only way to go.

Got pix? Love pix...

Brian

Default Less time

My rifle rest took less time. I was driving my ATV around Fairbanks looking for moose and there it was. A fairly new factory made rifle rest sitting on the ground. No one around anywhere, no other equipment, no one, no targets. Just sitting there. It followed me home. Anyone loose one?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Ok, here are the pics...

The first one will be the front rest w/o bean bag...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking More pics...

I showed a friend today all proud & he said it was a "'lil Frankensteiny"

Default Even more pics...

OBTW...Your right Brian...I will need lot's O' Glue!

Hey, that is cool.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I showed a friend today all proud & he said it was a "'lil Frankensteiny"

Get an new friend!

Default well if you don't mind

can I make a copy of it?? I need one and my wallet is empty

great idea!! usefull and cheap too.

Saludos!!!

Thumbs up by all means...

copy it, it's much like a dog house design...

Looks like the measurements came out a bit better than the doghouse's did! Have you taken it out and tried it yet?

Default I don't have a bench yet...

that's my next project, so I haven't used it yet, technically, I did a quick bore check inside my house with it, & held the rifle very steady! Didn't move like the sandbags did back @ Rabbit creek range when I used thiers...

just finished sighting in with the bench I pieced together. I don't have a fancy new dewalt set or any spare lumber so I went a different route. Kolpin sight vise $30, Costco folding 3'x3' table $27, Folding step stool $15. About $75 total but it held steady enough that I was able to make sight adjustments after each shot which at $55 a box for 325 WSM ammo this thing will pay for itself in no time! Your project is looking sweet! keep posting pics as it comes along.