Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is this bear?

Default How big is this bear?

I recall some of you guys sharing a formula for estimating the size of a bear - something along the lines of 1 foot per inch of pad width, but I can't recall if that is correct offhand. I ran across this track while moose hunting on Saturday. I'll probably be heading back in two weeks to try once more, and am trying to decide if I should pick up a $25 tag. It's not likely that I'll happen across him, I know, but if he is as large as I think he is, I wouldn't mind having a tag in hand just in case. I know he is no 10 footer, but it sure seems like a large track to me. Any thoughts?

buy the ticket... you never know.... if you dont by the ticket and do see it youll be thinking of what if for along time

Brian, buy a tag.

Generally the pad width +1 is usually true.

ie: if it has a 7" pad across it should be around an 8ft bear. Its not always the case but it is pretty dependable.

Smile we always go by measure the width plus 1

but seems like once they get so big it don't really factor in. But never shot a monster yet. Honestly it looks like black bear track in soupy mud. Still a huge track but the claw marks really close to the pads. Plus a they look pretty rounded. But hard to tell for sure. If grizz came to mind when you saw the track then buy a tag. $25 won't break the bank. But the taxidermy fees might

Brian ... My grandpa figured 1-1 measuring across the front foot.

In your area I have heard the 1-1 plus one.

At the lodge I worked at they used a length formula, but I don't remember what it was because it just seemed strange.... length divided by something.

I'd buy the tag if you're interested in bear. Might not even be the bear who owns that track that ends up getting your attention.

Default Is that a .30-30 shell???

you got there Brian? or a .222??? :P

gogoalie - It's a 30-06 shell.

akrstabout - No way that it was a black bear, as I also saw tracks on solid ground and they were equally as large. Actually, these pictures really don't do it justice. These were some big tracks for the area.

Default Cool

Then you know what to do. See if you can't bust him. It is always cool seeing tracks like that when you are not expecting it. You could also try and get him through the first part of the winter too. We were below freezing parts to town this monday morning. Might get some early snow. I seen a picture of a grizz from willow a guy shot. My dad has it and is a complete monster. Never saw the guy again to get the measurements but massive, looked like a coastal brownie at 10'+. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Default Hmmmmm....

Brian,
    It looks like you must have just missed him and he was very near when you took the photos. I'm judging from the amount of water that is not present in the cartridge photo that is in your hand photo that the water was either still draining from the push from an ATV or wash up from some wading? Whatever the case, that's an impressive print and I'd shell out the $25 if I were you and planned on hunting that area.

AKRoustabout is right, last year into November when we had some snow to show for Thanksgiving; I went varmint/rabbit hunting with a couple of state troopers around Hunter creek and found grizz tracks in the snow; you've still got some time to pop that big boy.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Well, in October I was planning on heading into an area that is closed for grizz to chase late fall black bears, but maybe I'll head back into this area instead and look for this guy. There are plenty of black bears in the area as well, so I may as well give myself more options.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this Brian, but make sure you measure the pad on the front foot.

Yea, what lab man said!
    So NOW your asking if you should buy the tag? Wouldn't you have felt stupid if he was standing in the track when you seen it..................and didn't have a tag?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Yea, what lab man said!
    So NOW your asking if you should buy the tag? Wouldn't you have felt stupid if he was standing in the track when you seen it..................and didn't have a tag?
    Yep, I would have felt stupid. To be honest, I wasn't even thinking brown bear. I do much of my hunting in an area where a locking tag isn't required, so I've never bothered to buy one. I'm not really asking if I should buy a tag...I know I should. I'm just looking for some tips on estimating size based on pad size. I know he's big, just not sure how big. Just curious, really.

Looks like a biggun to me, I am saying well over 8ft. I have seen 8ftr's and they didnt have a hind foot that big. .Thats a pig, now go find him!

How mobile are brown bears this time of year? I've never targeted them specifically in the fall. Is there much of a chance that this guy would still be in the same drainage in a week or two, or are they covering a huge territory this time of year?

I'd say his where abouts depend on food supply. That's what is most likely on a bears mind this time of year. If there is a good food supply in the area, he might be there still.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

A good solid eight footer. Obviously a boar and a lefty, due to the distance between the third and fourth toe pads of the front paw and the crooked claw marks of the fifth toe. Appears to be slightly dehydrated and under-nurished, as evidenced by the way he puts so much weight on the back of his paws, probably due to so few moose being in the area. Suggest you shoot him, and perhaps help the moose population in that drainage.

Brown bear with a .30-06?

Are you nuts???

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    Brown bear with a .30-06?

Are you nuts???
    I was chasing moose, Mike. If I go back in specifically for the bear, I'll probably make time to go to the range and sight in my 338 first. But heck, I wouldn't hesitate to take a bear with a 30-06 if I had a clear shot at his vitals.

That was tongue-in-cheek! .30-06 will work fine, in fact, I bet more brownies have been killed by '06 than any other cartridge.

Got your tag yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast