Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit 13 bear report

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Unit 13 bear report

Just returned from a couple of days chasing bears with the bow. Hunted around my cabin- near where I shot my moose- see pics in photo gallery. Only hunted on Saturday, saw 11 different bears from the ground. Got 30 yards from two- both appeared to be 3 year olds- one maybe went 7', didn't draw- but got some great video- they were sure something was there but didn't have our wind so there was a lot of head shaking and grunting. Also got 40 yards from an 8' shooter but was quartering towards us so he didn't present a great shooting opportunity. He eventually grew agitated, stood up to check out what he thought was there, and then ran off. No real urgency to kill one with the bow, it is just neat to get close to these incredible animals...now for the bad news.

Here are the numbers of bears v. moose that I saw from the air around our cabin in 13E this weekend-
    27 Brown bears (classified now as being south of the AK range)
    8 Black bears
    5 Moose- 1 bull, 4 cows

are we missing some animals from the air? of course! Is there a gross amount of predators v. prey...you do the math.

Care to share the cabin location via PM? I'd be happy to help thin the bears one at a time!

Put me 2nd on the list <grins>

Default Unit 13

I just spent 4 days in Unit 13B mainly looking for sheep but keeping my eye open for grizz too. I spent 2 days glassing the berry and willow bushes, saw 6 moose and zero grizz. I was around the Delta River just south of Black rapids glacier. Sounds like the bears are thick where your hunting. Good luck with that bow, share some close up pics if you have any.

My cabin is in 13 also and I havn't seen any bear sign all season......BUT I havn't seen any moose sign either.....

i saw alot of bears in 13E this year as well, and only three moose i think...no maybe six...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'd be willing to help thin your bear population also. I have a nice wall I've been saving for a nice brown bear. Just don't know where to go?

Default Unit 13 bears

Anyone who wants info on hunting unit 13 bears hit up BRWNBR for some info. Check out his pics in the 2007 trophy thread as he appears to have Unit 13 pretty well figured out. If he keeps up this predator control I may get a Nelchina permit in a few years. Heck, he may solve the whole Nelchina herd controversy. Nice work BB.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

lol thanks solly i'm working on it as best i can! even though i've been knockin' back some calf-killers i still see too many sows with tripletts, job security but also tough on them calves. I don't hunt a very big area and i don't think i've had a client in the last four years that hasn't seen a grizz on there hunt and some have seen over 20. i love shootin' those things though!!
    Master guide 212

Default Bears

Had I been rifle hunting, I could have shot 5 different bears in one day- in addition to that, we saw sows with twins and triplets...too many bears= too few moose and caribou. Predator control...absolutely necessary to sustain my desire to fill my freezer with wild game.

Default unit 13 bear

I have been talking to a few diffrent people on here about hunting that area, trying to get as much info about it before i make a trip. Any helpfull hints on where to go or areas to concentrate on? (anyone)
    thanks
    texhunter

sounds like you're in bear central! What would you think about moving 13E to a 2 bear a year unit? And Jake, your thoughts on this? With one a year, when you want a big bear, you're likely to pass a lot of smaller bears. If it were a 2 a year, would you have shot a bear this last trip? Also, will this reduce the trophy potential of that area? My thoughts are no, because most hunters will still shoot only one bear, and the extra bears that get shot will be those smaller bear that in a one bear a year unit a hunter would pass on. Better yet, for great bear management, leave all the big boars out there so they can eat up a young'un once in a while. Might be hard to book trips with that stipulation though...

Default No offense...

No offense to any guides out there-but I could care less about whether or not someone can book clients! I was born and raised in the area, and I care about having sustainable yield of Moose and Caribou more than whether or not a guide can profit off the death of an animal. And for what its worth, I have friends that are guides/outfitters- we've had many heated discussions- I respect their opinions...I just don't agree.

Willphish, you're right that leaving some of the big boars will help eliminate some of the cubs- I probably would have let an arrow fly if it were a 2 bear limit- although I don't know what I would do with 2 bears...anyway, the big problem is the sows that are throwing triplets every 2-3 years!!! I know 'controlling' their numbers would be horribly controversial, and I know some on this forum are more concerned with hunters (or killers to some) receiving a 'black eye' in the public arena...but there are a lot of decisions that need to be made that people don't like- it doesn't mean you don't make the decision if it is in the best interest of wildlife.

Respectfully, my opinion

i wrote in on the 2 bear limit on the last BOG meeting and was highly in favor of it, i can't belive that unit 16 got the two bear limit and unit 13 didn't.

BUT 2bl creates its own problems, i'd have a hard time booking a hunt like that cause i don't want someone just blastin' the first bear they see and then trophy hunting for 10 days just because they can, bears are another animal in the woods too, i'm not for bear erradication, just some managment and i dont' think killing 2 or 3 year old bears is really the way to do it. Plus residents (like mentioned above) dont' really have much desire to shoot two bears, it cost money to do anything with them and you can't really eat them, so it more or less screws up yoru moose or caribou hunt you may have been on when one shows up.
    The answer, just legalize the sale of bear hides from that unit and keep the limit at one, that way when people run across one and can shoot it as an incidental to moose or whatever, its not a huge waste of time.

It may seem hypocritical that i voted for the 2br but i probably wouldn't sell hunts as a 2 bear limit, but dang man if i'm out hunting for myself or my brothers or buddies are, let 'em hammer some bears!!
    Master guide 212

Default Kudos

Brwnbr-

Just a tip of the hat- you are reallistic and respectful- and you understand what I believe to be sound game management!!!! I guess some guides, like darth vader, have some good in them...totally kidding- I respect what you do because you seem to be legitimately concerned with sustainability and not just with making a buck...

I like the idea of being able to sell the hides- and you're right, if I killed 2 bears they would just end up in my freezer rolled up in a bag...which reminds me, I think I have one in there from last year...

Default If you think there are to many bears then give

up the location so some guys by PM's. Don't continue to complain about it. Shoot them yourself with your family or shut up. Seems like common sense is not so common no more. Giving mixed reports man. You think it is neat to get close and not shoot, cool seeing a magnificant animals. Yeah I agree they are cool. All bears are. Yet you want a nelchina permit when the bou numbers are higher. Dude do your part then. You just make no sense.

Default Wow...

First of all, I am not going to give up an area that I have grown up hunting in just because there are too many bears- I know plenty of people that will assist me in culling the numbers that won't be rude about it. I thought the forum system was to discuss issues that we are witnessing in different areas of our state. This is an area that many people are familiar with and I wanted to share some of what I have seen. My guess is that many others are experiencing high predator numbers in other areas- and I'm not planning on attacking them if they care to share about it-and who said anything about a nelchina hunt? I don't put in for it because I choose to fill my freezer with other game meat.

If you don't like reading about my 'complaining'- quit reading the thread....."DUDE"!!!

Default You mentioned bou numbers a few times

and the nelchina herd came to mind. Pretty much what is there in 13. Not being rude I don't think. You complain and didn't say anything about offering to take your buddies to try and get a bear. You just say over and over that ratios are to high. Would be cool to take a grizz with bow. But should have a rifle with just in case. Just tan the hides if nothing else. Cheaper than a rug. Look pretty cool. Good luck out there knocking them down. Will tell my buddy who has a cabin out that way.

Default Backup

I never approach a bear with a bow without a backup that has a rifle or shotgun- I imagine I would feel pretty helpless if one decided to come chew on me if I didn't. Thanks for the concern.

Just a thought. Is the reason we impose extremely liberal bag limits on black bears (unit 16b predator control area) to improve the moose population for subsistence hunters? If we want to live a subsistence lifestyle, then why can't we live off what the land is providing, such as black bears?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast