Thread: GPS

Default GPS

I have a knew Garmin Rino 530 coming in a few days. What is the best software for a GPS in AK?

Barlinator.

You need the Garmin software to work with your Garmin GPS. Get TOPO U.S. 2008. Sells for a little over $100 locally. You then can upload the detailed maps into your GPS and download your tracks into your computer.

Thumbs up MapSource

I've been using the MapSource US TOPO maps for several years and they are very good maps for Alaska. I believe it was about $70 when I bought it and it has been worth every penny. I see that the new 2008 releae is even better. I was just checking the coverage area maps at garmin.com and found that they have added tremendous detail as far as trails and landmarks. They even have the Caribou Hills snowmobile trail system in there!

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topous.jsp

I'll be upgrading to this new version of MapSource right away. Garmin lists it as $116.65 with a $30 rebate for upgrading from a previous version.

Who is selling it in Anchorage for $100... gps store, REI?

Default Topo 2008 for $60

I doubt you will find it in Alaska for much under $100, but Amazon is blowing 'em out the door for $59.10 with free shipping to AK.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

I much prefer buying local, and might even do so for as much as a $20 premium, but...

Default Thanks

Just ordered mine from Amazon.