Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear down..

Thumbs up Bear down..

Long story short (cross your fingers) is that I took my wife' oldest son hunting for Ducks yesterday and we ended spotting a bear,and us with no rifle.
    I called the wife to meet us at home as we had 40 miles to get there,met the wife and our youngest boy and turned around and headed back with no hopes really of seeing the bear again.
    Anyhow, dang if it was still laying there in the grass when we arrived,so I'm trying to hand the rifle off top the wife and and Im saying "here honey you shoot this one" and about that time the bear turns and looks at us and all she says is "bleep! that you shoot it Im to scared and dont wanna be bear bait".
    So we wait a while and it would not move so I just layed the cross hairs at the base of his hump and BOOM! that freaking bear came un glued.... BOOM!
    Last time I shot a grizz it was coming at me so I vowed to throw lead as long as the next bear was still moving.....BOOM! BOOM!
    Dang that bear was just-a-cussin and a roaring over there, and headed towards us so we turn towards the truck and the wife says hes swimming off.Could not get a shot off and he laid up across the slough in the tall grass pissed.Was pretty awesome to hear him growling and all.
    This time we hiked around ontop of the bank and I spied him across from us and I threw another round at him and that time he stood up on all fours and stood broadside, took my time and sent the last one thru his shoulder-rib cut the spine in half thru another rib and out the shoulder,I am totally impressed with that .300WSM. New rifle and 1st animal with it.
    ok!ok! here's the pic's. This is my stalking it after its down and pointing to the general area where we found him 20 yards away.

And the bear

My son and I,he wanted a picture with me and the bear

Pad was 5" so I figure he's going to be five and a half to six foot,never could tell how big he was while he was laying down.

More to come soon.Daniel and the entire family enjoying the rainy days of hunting.

Default Bear down

My wife' son who is getting into all this Alaska and hunting.Its all new to him and he loves it so far,been with us a year now.

And the wife who looks so worried.

And the picture my son wants me to share,he thinks it looks cool...so he's nine

And his face tells all as we start gutting the bear.

Daniel and family

Default Bear down

Im truly impressed with him as he wanted to learn how to do this and he jumped right in.Not bad coming from the city huh?

again holding back the guts while I explain to him where and how to cut

We decided to pack out and go tot the taxidermist so he could show Andre the proper cuts for a rug and splitting the lips etc...

Taking a break and walking around to find a trail,the wife snapped this pic,yeah he's deadtired.

Great pics and an awesome story. Makes a nice hunt when you can include the entire family and they all enjoy it.

Default Last one....

Last pic as we about fell in the water here trying to walk across a beaver dam.It wouldnt have made adifference as we where soaked to the bone by now.

Last night at the Taxidermists house we came up with a quick measurement on the skull at just over 17 inches,and he'ss stretch it this morning to get an estimate on length.

Moral of the story as I told Andre,you can never take for granted anything while out hunting as this bear was not far from the road and we walked by it going in and I spotted it on the way out.Just because the truck is 80 yards from us doeant mean we are still safe.Hope you all had a good weekend.Take care.Daniel and one tired family this morning.

Impressed by how you packed him out, looks like lots of work. Congradulations, I had a sow charge this year and I know what you mean when they are runnning towards you things can get hairy.

Default Nice

Thanks for sharing, good to see the family out in the field together.

Steve

Wow that is a pretty bear. I like it. You gonna have a rug made?

The pictures ain't working for me.

Default Good job man

Pretty cool how it all worked out. Nice aint it when a good plan comes together. I hauled my first blackie out on my shoulders after gutting it. Not sure I would have done it with a grizz though. Maybe this next spring it will work out to get you out in PWS for some blackie action. Thanks for sharing and have a good rest of the season. Are you guys gonna try to eat any of it?

Default pics?

why can't I see the pics. I have noticed this on other threads also. I am logged in and can't see them. Anyone know why?

AS I also can't see the photos at work but I can at home. I believe work filters the sites that I can go to and the photo storage sites are off limitis.

Default "Just because the truck is 80 yards from us doesnt mean we are still safe."

geez, you're crackin me up...
    you woke the lil' guy up, shot him (at least at him anyway) 6 times and had to chase him across the river...seems like boo-boo was the one not "safe" 80 yds from the truck.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Too sad

I have to say this whole "saga" of the roaring dangerous bear is just too sad. I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this posting, but surely there has been a degrading of what is considered proper hunting. To make so much out of shooting a juvenile bear and poorly at that, just irks the heck out of me. I am glad this fellow and his son were out together, but the rest of it is rubbish. I would be ashamed to declare such a thing to the hunting world. If you are going to take an animal in fair chase for the sake of a trophy, for Lord's sake, shoot one that IS a trophy, not some undersized animal that might have become a trophy to be proud of when it had it's full growth. Yeah, if this is considered good hunting, something has most definitely been lost.

Congradulations on your bear. I don't want to come off as being negative, but you shot a small bear 5 times to kill it, I don't think I would be "totally impressed" by my rifle.

who cares if it is a small bear, it won't cost a arm and a leg to get made into a rug, and if Dan is happy with it so be it, had the family out there plus it is one less moose eating machine out there. Dan did you get any ducks, also did you head to Delta and use C&S CHARTER

Default trophy

The trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Never going to cut down another for something they kill. If Dan is happy, that is ALL that matters. It is a VERY beautiful bear for sure. Sometimes bears go down hard. The .300wsm is a very good rifle. I have been more than impressed with it's penetration. My 300 wsm has a track record of NO recoverd bullets. Total pass throughs with the 180 barnes tsx bullets. The most recent kill was a moose my sister in law shot with it. Complete penetration through the chest cavity and a more than impressive exit hole of about 2 inches as the bullet exited.

Default congrats

Hey nice job & congrats also on having the family along, glad to hear the boy is interested in learning how to do things the right way & not at home playing video games as seems to be the norm with kids now days.
    I agree with Northway the trophy is in the eye of the beholder & this one seems pretty special with your family there.
    Shooting the bear that many times oh well ! none of us we're there so we don't know & am sure your heart was beating out of your chest & you we're plenty excited.
    Congrats again !!!!

Default great job

Thanks for posting that great story, Dan! Glad you were able to bring the family with, and let them share the whole experience! After watching my wife shoot a black bear, and having her with me when I took a moose, I hardly even want to hunt alone anymore! There will be nay-sayers to every great story; thats a beautiful bear, and won't cost a million dollars to rug! You did right to keep shooting till it stayed down, too. Even a small griz is a big bunch of mean when he's been wounded!

To guys that will trash another hunter just because his animal's smaller than one you would shoot; not a "trophy" in your eyes... shame on you! (is trophy hunting morally richer than just hunting, a trophy hunter the better person than a non-trophy hunter?) Let the man be proud- he got the animal he wanted, shared the experience with his whole family, and shared that with the world, and is introducing new hunters to the experience!

Default first thoughts were...

nice blackie...then i read it's a grizz, i knew it was a sub adult, but hey, no biggie that it didn't meet mauerboys "standards"...we all can't be like him...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast