Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going on my first fly-in drop off hunt

Default Going on my first fly-in drop off hunt

Going to unit 9 for brown bear. I am pretty much packed and ready to go. I am trying to figure out how much money to take. For extra things in the villiage and for the return shipping of some goods and hopefully a bear or two atleast. I am wondering how much do you guys tip the pilot? Is that common? Just want to be prepared is all. I can calculate the rest but figured I should have some extra for pilot. Been here 12 years now and I guess it is about time I do a drop off hunt.

Second, I was wondering if you guys do anything to prevent other hunters and or guides from dropping in on you? If you were flying into a spot you had picked out and there was somebody already there, would you continue to another spot or just land where you had planned? I know it would cost more money for the plane to continue to another spot. But not sure if what to expect. Plus I have heard of people pulling logs and such onto the beach to block other planes from landing. Ever heard of that or do that yourself?

Any help will be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

I tip depending on service, on a recent hunt where the charter was $910 total I tipped $100. A guy can spend a lot more than that on air charter service. I'd plan on taking another $250 with me (so $300-400 cash).

If someone was on the spot I wanted to land I'd go further in or closer, your piolet may be able to give you some suggestions, and heads up before you are close (if anyone else is there).

Good Luck

Good luck!!!! I hope you score a bear.

man, be prepared to land else where, the peninsula in the fall is horrid for people landing everywhere, suprised you picked this as your first drop hunt.
    Tell the pilot what kinda money you can fork out if the spot you picked is busy that way he do't just fly you to clock up the meter.
    have fun man, the pens a great place
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default I couldn't pass up the offer

That is why I chose this for my first drop off. The guy I am going with has been there 15 years ago. Had good footage. Knows the lay of the land. Already had this hunt planned and his partner crapped out on him. 15,000 airline miles later and I was his new partner. We are splitting the costs of everything. The bush plane is already priced at $2,400. We are flying in 5 days before opening day to hopefully beat everybody else. If we feel threatened just want to make sure it would be legal to block the beach with drift wood. Have heard of this but...

BRWNBR, do I have a good chance running into you out there? Any pointers about anything? Do you see blackies up out there or any at all? Just trying to figure out what the chances are of bagging some wolves, blackies and a couple foxes.

Nope, i'll be in kodiak shooting at goats for the first three weeks of october, you may see wolves, depending on where you are you may see blackies, i've taken several outa chinitna bay but they don't venture much south of that and i've never heard fo them on the north side or bristol/bering side of the pen. Foxes i've seen, take a pred call to play around with, some bears will respond to it and others will just look around and go back to whatever.
    Five days early, WHATEVER you do, resist the temptation to leave camp for those five days!! geez i've seen it a pile of times, tons of bears lots of bears quiet a few bears, some bears, few bears, no bears...thats how it goes the longer you spend time in one area...or at least how it seems to me. Keep your scent down to a minimum and let other hunters screw up their areas and push the bears over to you, you don't want that monster bear going nocturnal and having to settle for a seven foot brown bear cause thats all that'll be out in the daylight after you walk all over, crap, camp and dump garbage in one area, sit tight and wait for opening morning and hit it a half hour before daylight.
    Have a riot and try not to block runways, sometimes you may have a pilot who needs to set down for an emergency or bad weather and you won't know it...don't wanna cost someone an airplane or a life just cause your afriad of some competition. someone lands near you, just go talk to them and get the skinny.
    be the cool hunter down the river bed...
    Master guide 212

Default Great advise!!!

Great advise Jake, and as a pilot myself please don't block any areas that could be used as a place to land safely. Hope you have a great hunt, I will be heading that way for the same thing as well. Good hunting and lets hope the weather gods give us some nice weather.

Steve.

Default Right On Jake...

You really give out some good advice. Probably haven't hunted there as many times as Brownbr but hunted those parts several years. Good idea on the 5 days early but don't let it work against you! Stay in camp and if you JUST CANT STAND IT glass from ONE lookout close by. What he said it dang true. Those big browns are the smartest animals on this side of the planet and they'll figure you out before you do them most likely. Don't run them out. Even while hunting resist the urge to walk. Pick one or 2 glassing spots and use the same trail to get there. Please, please don't block any landing areas. Someone (maybe me) may need to stop just to throw in that last five gallons of fuel or something legitimate. Let alone if the weather pushes you down or 100 other contingencies. I am rambling on because it looks like my Oct hunt there may be getting crushed. Living vicariously thru you now. Tear them up.

Good luck and I expect a full report and pics when you return! Like AK-HUNT I will be hunting vicariously through you this year.

Default Thanks BRWNBR,AK-HUNT for the tips

We kinda have the same plan. Might walk a couple mile one day to set up a fake camp, extra tent. But other than that might hike away from the area we are going to hunt for the brownies. I am afraid of leaving camp or getting to far away having out stuff destroyed, I must say we will be eating like kings while we are out there. You guys won't believe what we are taking. No mountain house for us, although I like the stuff. My new hunting buddy said he knows better than that and we paying for the plain so we are gonna fill her up.

He already had the trip planned and his ticket booked. So I had to go with it. 5 days seems a little long but oh well. He did it similar to that 15 years ago and all 4 tagged out. Plus back then you could bou. They dropped some of those too. We are going in loaded with enough rounds of ammo, between 4 different guns to take down an army.

We will take plenty of pic and video too. Cool thing is now I will learn about the area and be able to take my dad or somebody next spring or following fall. Will keep you guys posted and thanks for the support. Just dieing to get out there now that everything is already to go.

Anyone else tip pilots? I am thinking 10% of the cost of plane. Plus I will make sure we don't block any beaches. Hunting partner mentioned it, have heard of it but never in this situation before.

Default Tipping..

I tip, if I got above average service and I tip really well if I plan on using them again. They will remember. 5 to 10 percent should do. If they don't treat you right keep your money.

Steve

Default I hoping for good service.

So we will see. Stid-when are you headed down? Care to pm any details?

Here is our food list so far. 19 ribeye steaks, 16 boneless pork chops merinated, 2 dozen eggs, 50 slices pre-cooked bacon, 3 huge ham steaks, instant oatmeal, hot chocolate, coffee, 16 moose hot dogs, intant potatoes, Jug of gravey mix, 12 cup of soups, 1# of sliced medium cheddar, 30 grab bags of chips-assorted, 60 kudo type bars, chocolate candy bars, rice crispy treats, 2 cans of pringles, gummy bears, 1 pack of oreos, some bread and buns, and condenments. Yep we hit costco and bought the meat in whole loins and cut our selves, so much cheaper. Pretty much bought most of it there. Then hit walmart for the rest of little stuff. $240 in food. I am sneeking 2 mountain houses for just in case. I have been eating the stuff for last two days, stuff I had on the boat for a few years. I must say spagetti and seafood chowder are awesome stuff. So far they are all awesome. Have had many. Key is water in the amount they say.

Is there any food we are missing? I wouldn't think so but... Any other tips any has to offer? So far they have been very helpfull.

A couple 3 layer cakes, 6 blueberry pies and some PBandJ sandwiches and you'll have everything, seriously have a great hunt and pray the bears don't decide to come for dinner while your out of camp, let us know how everything turns out. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    19 ribeye steaks, 16 boneless pork chops merinated, 2 dozen eggs, 50 slices pre-cooked bacon, 3 huge ham steaks, instant oatmeal, hot chocolate, coffee, 16 moose hot dogs, intant potatoes, Jug of gravey mix, 12 cup of soups, 1# of sliced medium cheddar, 30 grab bags of chips-assorted, 60 kudo type bars, chocolate candy bars, rice crispy treats, 2 cans of pringles, gummy bears, 1 pack of oreos, some bread and buns, and condenments.
    That's a heck of a menu! 19 Ribeyes & 16 pork chops? You guys are eating like kings! I'd bring a deck of cards if you have that much camp time. Good luck. Sounds like you guys are doing it right by getting there early.

Tim

Tip the ramp rats or dock boys at the flight service pilots make a lot of money ($50-100/hr), dock/ramp workers don't ($7-10/hr) assuming you are flying to king salmon and might be spending time there, a beer at the king ko is like $6/ glass and food is equally expensive... Have a good hunt
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Spoken like a truly EXPERIENCED aviation person, Monkey! Geesh.
    While pilots do get paid more per hour, they only get paid when the plane is in the air. Many pilots work a 10 or more hour day, but only get paid for a few hours of flying.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Tip the ramp rats or dock boys at the flight service pilots make a lot of money ($50-100/hr),
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

pretty sure the pilots i fly with can legally only fly eight hours in a day...
    Master guide 212

had a friend go in last year and got a 9 1/2 ft and the other guy a 9 ft, saw 30 plus bears in 10 days. Have a safe trip and hope you take a big one.

what air charter are you using?

Depends on if they are flying commercial, part 135, or just general, part 91, Jake. The key word is "fly". They can only fly 8 hours a day. Hauling people around entails alot more than flying.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Branch River I believe

the partner booked it. But he called a lot of places and only 4 or 5 are flying hunters. We both think that is wierd. You would think this would be the money maker time.

Lots of food for only two guys. But we eat like horses so we will see how much we have left over. Have enough for the entire 13 days we are booked. So only time will tell how long we will be there.

AK_POWDER_MONKEY thanks for that heads up. Not sure if he has ramp rats or not. we are shipping dry goods ahead of time, tomorrow. So hopefully they will take care of our stuff-and not get the muncies.

Just gotta hit the range and check the rifle, 300WM with 200 grn Swift A Frames factory remington load. Then 180 grn Balistic tip CPX3 Winchester factory ammo for everything else. .44 mag on the chest and .12ga. for bears and birds. But that all depends on how far we can head away from the brownie hunting grounds. Again thanks all and keep the tips coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast