Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Handgun: revolver

Default Shipping Handgun: revolver

I searched the archives and didn't find anything specific on this topic.

I am in Fairbanks and need to get a handgun to myself when I go to Colorado. Can I ship this myself? Does anyone know someone in Fairbanks that ships and wouldn't mind working with someone new (me)?

I was at the Fairbanks gun show in April and got cards from a few guys, but I am having trouble finding them now.
    Last edited by beng; 09-15-2007 at 15:06. Reason: nothing changed

Default UPS

Try UPS. They ship guns, but I believe you need to either ship overnight or at least 2nd day air.

Default Shipping to yourself...

No US poastal service shipping of handguns. You probably new that.

Also UPS will not take a gun to ship to anyone anywhere. You will need to take it to an account holder (with UPS) and of course since it is a hand gun, you'll have to take it to an FFL dealer to get him to ship it. I've shipped them to other dealers from an FFL holding shop here in FBKs. Usually they do this as a favor to me, but may charge.

Now here is the big problem...it is a handgun. An FFL holder probably won't ship it to a non FFL holder in another state and most states will not allow any shipper to ship a gun into the state except to an FFL holder. I am in the process of shipping several long guns to the states, to me at another address, and that is legal from every perspective, with the post office, the ATF and my home state. No hand guns can be so shipped even via UPS unless from a dealer to a dealer. Colorado laws may be different and allow handguns into the state from the owner, without a dealer involved, I don't know.

This is what my most recent research, last week, has turned up. It would be nice to be able to do that, but I don't think so.

If anyone on here has actually done it I'd like to know about it myself.

Of course you can take any gun on the plane with you to Colorado, in checked baggage, declared. If you're driving, drive around Canada and you'll be ok.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Try Alaska Airlines Gold Streak. Send it to yourself.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

You don't even need to send it Gold Streak. Regular air freight shipment is fine. I ship my handguns to and from every year via Alaska Airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    Try Alaska Airlines Gold Streak. Send it to yourself.
    How does this work? Do you know this to be legal? Do you declare what's in the package? What state are you shipping to? I'd like to ship some but haven't found any legal avenue yet. Thanks.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Alaska Airlines ships

Quote Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
    You don't even need to send it Gold Streak. Regular air freight shipment is fine. I ship my handguns to and from every year via Alaska Airlines.
    I just called Alaska Airlines (1-800-634-7113). No firearms can be shipped through Gold Streak.

Firearms (including pistols) *can* be shipped regular air freight.

Some caveats:
    -must a registered shipper
    -being a registered shipper requires filling out an application
    -application takes 6-8 weeks
    -requires background check

Shipping requirements:
    -only from self to federal dealer
    -self to self
    -no shipping from self to another individual

I am going to fill out the application and get that process started -- for future uses. Unfortunately, I need to travel in 3 weeks and have gun there, so I am still trying to find a solution.

Any additional help would be useful.

Are you required to declare what is in the box when sending via UPS/FEDEX? Never knew that.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Shipping Waepons

Take the weapon apart (any type) and put the parts into at least 2 boxes and ship them.On a revolver I put the cylinder & grips in 1 one box & the rest into another. I also ship these several days apart.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbob View Post
    Take the weapon apart (any type) and put the parts into at least 2 boxes and ship them.On a revolver I put the cylinder & grips in 1 one box & the rest into another. I also ship these several days apart.

The frame with the serial number is still considered a firearm (handgun) and that would be a deliberate attempt ot subvert the laws. I don't think that would have a good result. What we need here is a boni fide legal avenue to ship handguns from Alaska to another state and vice versa.

Lot's of folks have posted comments on how to do it without ever having shipped a handgun. I'm still waiting for someone to post about how it can be done legally and comply with shipper rules as well as ATF regulations, by someone who has actually shipped handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Are you required to declare what is in the box when sending via UPS/FEDEX? Never knew that.

You are with UPS, I can't say about Fed Ex.

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    I just called Alaska Airlines (1-800-634-7113). No firearms can be shipped through Gold Streak.

Firearms (including pistols) *can* be shipped regular air freight.

Some caveats:
    -must a registered shipper
    -being a registered shipper requires filling out an application
    -application takes 6-8 weeks
    -requires background check

Shipping requirements:
    -only from self to federal dealer
    -self to self
    -no shipping from self to another individual

I am going to fill out the application and get that process started -- for future uses. Unfortunately, I need to travel in 3 weeks and have gun there, so I am still trying to find a solution.

Any additional help would be useful.
    That's not the same answers I got from them. Handguns 2nd air only and no self to self.

Why can't you take your handguns with you? Are you driving through Canada?

Default second call, driving

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    That's not the same answers I got from them. Handguns 2nd air only and no self to self.

Why can't you take your handguns with you? Are you driving through Canada?
    It might be good if a second person calls as well. That is what the girl told me, 'self to self' is ok. She said that at least 3 times...

I am driving to Colorado, through Canada, so shipping is required...

Default post office doesn't know...

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbob View Post
    I called the post office and this is exactly what someone told me to do. Then they said I should call the following day when a manager would be in and ask the same question to him. After spending 30 minutes on the phone, most of the time on hold while he did "research", he finally concluded that I can't do this, but he seemed pretty unsure of himself...

Even our officials dont seem to know...

Seems that you are looking for the postal service to answer questions about shipping firearms. Unfortunately their opinion on what they can and how they can ship firearms is only their opinion. You should consult the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. They are the law when it comes to shipping firearms. I wish their web site would be a little more friendly but in short I think you will find, no shipping (through USPS, FEDEX, UPS or other shipper), and you are not suppose to disassemble in a fashion that it could be readily assembled into a hand gun.

You can try here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/index.htm

Good luck but I'd consider selling it unless you can leave with a friend to take on a plane later to the lower 48. If you are having a mover move your stuff their may be an exception, they still pack them up for the military and move them. Perhaps a mover can pick it up for you? I don't know the for sure answer but I would not try to mail it.

Default thanks AKFishOn

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Seems that you are looking for the postal service to answer questions about shipping firearms. Unfortunately their opinion on what they can and how they can ship firearms is only their opinion. You should consult the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. They are the law when it comes to shipping firearms. I wish their web site would be a little more friendly but in short I think you will find, no shipping (through USPS, FEDEX, UPS or other shipper), and you are not suppose to disassemble in a fashion that it could be readily assembled into a hand gun.

You can try here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/index.htm

Good luck but I'd consider selling it unless you can leave with a friend to take on a plane later to the lower 48. If you are having a mover move your stuff their may be an exception, they still pack them up for the military and move them. Perhaps a mover can pick it up for you? I don't know the for sure answer but I would not try to mail it.
    Thanks AKFishOn. I really appreciate your thoughts. I am headed to Colorado for 4 months and would like to have my gun. Keeping it and buying another one there is possible, probably more realistic, but it just seems amazing to me that a person can't ship a handgun. I understand all the attention handguns and dangerous things have gotten since 911, but it seems a little rediculous. There are so many guns for sale anywhere one goes that a criminal would be better buying locally. In other words, if honest people want to declare a gun and send it, I just dont seem why not. Rant rant...

I'll get my gun situation resolved, I just wish it were easier for honest folks to do what they need to do...

Just to complicate things .......
    I've sent handguns via Fed-Ex myself with their full knowledge to a gunsmith to work on becauise therewas no change of ownership & it would be returned to me. This was how Mag-na-port instructed me to do it. Of course that ran about $80 for the round trip (several years ago).
    My local FFL (all of them will do it here) charges $20. plus actual shipping (USPS flat rate $9.00) so going thru him is a little cheaper & really no pain. Just need a receiver on the other end (FFL).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I don't think the link is gonna work but on the Alaska Airlines web site it lists the specific's. You can ship handguns as regular airfreight from yourself to yourself. You only have to be a known shipper. No a registered shipper. There is a big difference. You'll need to search around there site but the info is there.

http://alaskacargo.custhelp.com/cgi-...5sJnBfcGFnZT0x

Default excellent

Quote Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
    I don't think the link is gonna work but on the Alaska Airlines web site it lists the specific's. You can ship handguns as regular airfreight from yourself to yourself. You only have to be a known shipper. No a registered shipper. There is a big difference. You'll need to search around there site but the info is there.

http://alaskacargo.custhelp.com/cgi-...5sJnBfcGFnZT0x
    Thanks Stiffnecked. The link worked fine. I am going down to the airport here in Fairbanks and seeing what AA has to say and will give a report.

Not to be to technical but AA would be American Airlines. I think you want AS which is Alaska Airlines. The AS came from the old name of Alaska Star Airlines.

You probably want to go a check at the Air Cargo office and not at the ticket counter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast