Thread: Remington Model 798 Stainless

Default Remington Model 798 Stainless

Anyone try out the new for 2007, Remington 798 Stainless Steel Rifles yet ? Any opinions about them ? Also would like to find out if the 798 SS actions can be purchased separately.

All I have heard is 2nd hand but I heard the rifles as a whole are real rough.

You can find complete rifles on gunbrokers for about $600 and right now midway is selling blued barreled actions for the 798 for about $400. I havent seen a source for the stainless actions yet. I havent looked on all the sites though.

If you find one let us know how it is.

Default Brownells/Midway ?

Contacted Brownells to find out if their company would be able to acquire Remington Model 798 SS actions for their customers. So far no luck, wonder if Midway has any plans on supplying SS barreled actions or preferrably just actions. Anyone know ?

Apparently they are in production.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi.../model_798.asp

Good luck. J.

Default Midway USA inquiry

Since I didn't have any luck with Brownells, I sent an email out to Midway USA to find out if they have any plans on carrying the Remington 798 Stainless Steel actions and/or barrled actions. I figured since they carry the blued version they just may decide to carry the stainless as well. Doesn't hurt to ask. Will let folks know if they respond to my inquiry.

Default MidwayUSA update

Quick response from MidwayUSA; Customer Service stated that they are not aware of any plans for Midway to carry Remington SS 798 barreled actions. Brian also stated that he will forward my inquiry to the Marketing Department. The search continues.
    Any Authorized Remington Dealers in Alaska that may be able to assist with acquiring a SS 798 action at a reasonable cost ? Others may be interested. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Quick response from MidwayUSA; Customer Service stated that they are not aware of any plans for Midway to carry Remington SS 798 barreled actions. Brian also stated that he will forward my inquiry to the Marketing Department. The search continues.
    Any Authorized Remington Dealers in Alaska that may be able to assist with acquiring a SS 798 action at a reasonable cost ? Others may be interested. Thanks
    Just curious here, why would you prefer that over a Montana Rifleman action in stainless. The MRC is made in America by americans not in Bosnia. The Remington 798 is a "Hugo" action, a good Mauser, similar to the CD actions, but made in Europe.

MRC standard magnum action will work just fine for the intended purpose. I have one being made into a 338 something-or-other from the altered 375 Ruger case.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,
    My MRC 1999 CSRM action has already been ordered for the 358 Nukalpiaq project.
    The main reason I want a Remington 798 SS action is because I missed out on buying a Charles Daly SS action a few years ago when they were supposed to be available, don't really know if they even made it into the hands of consumers or not. Now that Remington has made them available again I would like to buy one and have another rifle built. The Interarms Mark X action that I used to have my other 358 rifle built works just fine, and I don't see any reason why the Remington version would not. The added advantage is that it comes in Stainless. Just my personal preference.
    A man can't own too many rifles in his lifetime. Original plan that started about 17 years ago was to buy a stainless bolt action rifle from all the major rifle manufacturers, that plan changed over time to owning and hunting with a stainless rifle from "almost" every manufacturer. Got sidetracked with having rifles built.

I would have to agree with Murphy on this one. The 798 can't even get close on quality with the Montana and as he said the Montana is American made. My Kimber 8400 Montana in 30-06 shot this five shot group at 100yds.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I would have to agree with Murphy on this one. The 798 can't even get close on quality with the Montana and as he said the Montana is American made. My Kimber 8400 Montana in 30-06 shot this five shot group at 100yds.
    I believe we're talking about two different Montana's here. The Montana action that Murphy is referring to doesn't have anything to do with Kimber.

Murphy,
    Did MRC decide that they would chamber for your custom cartridges afterall, or are you using a different gunsmith/company for your 338 something-or-other based on the altered 375 Ruger cartridge case ?

Wasn't Charles Daly the first to offer the Mauser in this particular lineage in a stainless version ? Just from a historical perspective, makes it interesting. And now Remington for the first time ever in the history of the company is offering a Stainless Mauser 98 (798) with the Remington name on it. (Times are a changing). I would buy one just because it is their first year of production in a stainless model.

Murphy,
    Did MRC decide that they would chamber for your custom cartridges afterall, or are you using a different gunsmith/company for your 338 something-or-other based on the altered 375 Ruger cartridge case ?
    Thank you, you are right, sorry about that.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Murphy,
    No, they won't build it, but they were very generous to offer to sell me an action. They have gone up though, I think he said the action is now $620 retail. I have on one of their actions in standard magnum (30-06 length, magnum bolt head) for my 338. They told me some time back they would only chamber standard calibers, I'm not sure why.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Mrc ?

Murphy,
    Just edited my thread; you just answered my question. The price did go up. Thanks

Murphy,
    My MRC 1999 CSRM action has already been ordered for the 358 Nukalpiaq project.
    The main reason I want a Remington 798 SS action is because I missed out on buying a Charles Daly SS action a few years ago when they were supposed to be available, don't really know if they even made it into the hands of consumers or not. Now that Remington has made them available again I would like to buy one and have another rifle built. The Interarms Mark X action that I used to have my other 358 rifle built works just fine, and I don't see any reason why the Remington version would not. The added advantage is that it comes in Stainless. Just my personal preference.
    A man can't own too many rifles in his lifetime. Original plan that started about 17 years ago was to buy a stainless bolt action rifle from all the major rifle manufacturers, that plan changed over time to owning and hunting with a stainless rifle from "almost" every manufacturer. Got sidetracked with having rifles built.
    I gotcha. Yeah, nothing much wrong with the CD's and such I just thought you were having trouble finding an action. The 798's are the only actual stainless even though there was a run of the CD's in stainlesss, I never saw them.

Wasn't Charles Daly the first to offer the Mauser in this particular lineage in a stainless version ? Just from a historical perspective, makes it interesting. And now Remington for the first time ever in the history of the company is offering a Stainless Mauser 98 (798) with the Remington name on it. (Times are a changing). I would buy one just because it is their first year of production in a stainless model.
    When Chuck Daly was importing them, they were available in just about any configuration you wanted. Stainless, blued, actions-in-the-white, left hand, barreled actions.....

The absolute worst thing that could have happened was when Remington got their worthless arse grubby hands on them.

I was lucky enough to grab up a couple LH CD actions. I should have sprung a third.
    Now what ?

I also have two, a standard long action and a medium magnum both in the white. I don't suppose you know where I can find a stainless Charles Daly med mag action at a reasonable cost?
    If I had a choice between the Remington 798 SS and the Charles Daly Stainless I would definitely go with the CD. I read that there were some manufacturing processes that had changed when it was taken over by Remington which may have reduced the quality of the action and rifles that were produced. Know anything about that ?

Default Update from MidwayUSA

Received an update from MidwayUSA today regarding the Remington 798 SS actions.

Quote: We are starting with the blued ones to help gauge demand, but will add stainless if we think the market will support us. Like you, I am pretty
    sure it will! Thanks for taking the time to drop me a line.

Aim Straight,

Larry Potterfield
    President/CEO
    MidwayUSA
    NRA Benefactor Member

This past weekend I made some inquiries regarding the discontinued Charles Daly SS Mauser actions, had a response from a gunsmith/gunshop in Alabama who had placed orders with KBI when the actions first came out, he only received the RH long and short actions in the white from KBI and never received any Stainless or LH models. He believes the Stainless version never made it out on the market.
    The Remington 798 actions may just be the very first in this line of actions to become available to consumers in a stainless version.