Thread: "New" FN Model 70's and 94's...

Default "New" FN Model 70's and 94's...

Anyone heard or seen any specs on the Japanese produced FN Model 70's and 94"s yet, or should I just sit back 'till February like every one else and see what they bring to the SHOT show?

Default Herstal Group

Just checked the Herstal Group website at http://www.herstalgroup.com/english/index.html and there are no new press releases yet.

One wonders why FN would allow anyone to make rifles with their name on it? When you remember they are the largest manufactor in the world. Seems odd, no?

Default If I had to guess...

I'd have to say that they failed to successfully negotiate with Olin over the Winchester name. Olin has steadfastly hung onto that moniker, and only let US Repeating Arms use it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up with the Browning name on 'em. Seems like I read a blurb quite awhile back saying that Browning would pick up the production on them, I had supposed then that they might still be made in the states, but it looks like it's going to be Miroku making them.
    PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE....JUST DON'T LET THE FN DESIGNERS SCREW UP THE STOCK LIKE THEY DID WITH THAT POS Super X SEMI AUTO.....jeeze that thing is butt ugly.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-16-2007 at 07:31. Reason: .

For those who don't know, FN of Herstal Blegium has been making a good bolt gun for about 10 years. It is known as a PBR, Patrol Bolt Rifle, and is currently only chambered in a heavy barreled 308 Winchester. It's market is for military and police but quickly became far more marketable to civilian America. It has been sold with different stocks and slightly different extractors but is now available with a Hogue stock and the obvious model 70 action. It is presently a more refined (fitted) rifle than any late model 70 Winchester from Connecticut and could be (and will be) made in several different calibers and made available here in the US of A. It is made in the new Belgium plant of FN and not in Japan. I seriously doubt that it will ever be made in Japan. If it were made by Miroku it could not be made for any less money and it would cost to set up the Japanese facility for this rifle. It will be made in Belgium, unless there is some underlying political reason for the move. The Winchester redesigned (post 1994) model seventy rifle is in production in Belgium. The Winchester name is owned by Olin corporation. Japan has and will make the lever guns and shotguns and Belgium will make the bolt rifles.

The PBR rifles are on display at your local SW and can be seen there.

It seems so odd to my why folks are so giddy about the model 70 rifle. I have yet to hear anyone say just what is good about them. Don't get me wrong I happen to like the model 70 design, not the greatest but certainly better than many alternatives. I have asked many folks why they want one (now that the well is dry) and they generally say that they are "s'posed to be the most accurate". Well that hasn't been true for several decades. What we do like anout them is the claw extractor and positive mechanical ejector. What we don't like about them is the roughness of action and barrel, the poor quality control and the less than gilt edge accuracy of some rifles. Many brands of rifles have a much better reputation for accuracy, but are less traditionally Mauser like and considered less reliable in feed and function.

The Winchester design was born of reliable Mauser and quality Springfield heritage. It has evolved, erroded, and degraded into a mass produced rifle of poor quality and concept, giving way to the inexpensive and expedient manufacturing technique and material. What we want is a return to the way it was done 60 yeas ago. When the people who made this rifle cared more about the product they made and less about short term gain of a quick buck. Back when highly polished and deeply blued steel barreleds and actions were hand fitted into fine walnut stocks with the utmost of care and attention to detail. Back when the owner and management of the company were in the same building with the dedicated craftsmen. When both management and worker had the same goals and that was to produce the very best product they could make and sell it at a good price, not at the cheapest price around. Back when it was better to make a modest profit on a small scale than to make enormous profit on the backs of under paid foreign workers who care very little about the product they make except to be done quickly.

I would rather own only three rifle produced the way they were back then than a hundred rifles produced with todays modern technique and material, given the same price for each lot.

Want to guess what three calibers?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy you forgot to add poor gas handling of a ruptured ctg or pierced primer. The bolt shroud is a path to your face.

I have a few model 70's all made before the mid 50's. These rifles don't handle the gas issue, they just don't cut the mustard. But I still like them a bunch and they are my go to guns for just about everything.

I like my old FN's much better in every respect for the actions. Much better in gas handling.

I agree with you in every respect about the 70's.

A flange on the left side of the bolt was added around the mid 1990's. This does provide amply gas deflection in the rare case of a head-case separation, blown primer etc.

IMO this is what makes the Post-64 Classic Model 70 so special.

1) CRF with massive broad-claw
    2) Recoil lug integral with the action
    3) Fixed blase ejector
    4) The simplest trigger in the business. It also breaks like a glass rod!
    5) 3 position safety. And one that blocks the firing pin in two positions.
    6) Field strippable bolt.
    7) New improved gas flange on the left side of the bolt.
    8) Steel used was stronger & tougher than ANY Model 70 before it!
    9) Different action sizes, unlike previous models using a bolt-stop.
    10) It carries the WINCHESTER name.

10 good reasons why I'm hoping they come back into production, fingers crossed!

Just recently I picked up this 2004 NIB Classic Compact. Looks to be a quality rig to my eye.

Default I'm so far behind the power curve...

It was news to me that the 70's were going to be available at all. I've known about, and handled the FN PBR. Nice rifle, if you're into heavy barreled .308's. Other options will be nice, and made in Belgium is still better than made in Japan. Maybe.
    More important than anything for me, is that they remain competitively priced with the other 'names'. These days, about the only thing left that's fairly appealing is the 798 Remington's, but I already own several of the 'pre-798's'.
    Fact is, I'm sitting on more rifles, shotguns, and handguns than I'll ever use. Some most likely won't see the light of day until they're disbursed out of my estate.
    News is still news, and that's why I asked.
    Had no intention of starting another verbal war over which design is good/better/best...