Thread: Going from jet to prop

Default Going from jet to prop

i have a Suzuki 115 hp 2007 that came with a jet and I find myself running mostly in deep enough water for a prop. If I switched to a prop it would pay for it self in not to many years. My question is are the controls the same on the prop as they are on the jet or what is the difference.

Prop is more effecient to run compared to a jet in deeper water, meaning you'll burn less fuel. Buy a take-off prop unit during the winter months when they are cheaper, unless you can buy one now.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Yes the controls are the same. Regardless wither you have a lower unit now or are planning on buying one go ahead and get an extra water pump also. That way you do not have to switch the one water pump between your jet and lower unit when you change out. Its not a big deal but saves you a few minutes doing the change over.

Default Best money I ever spent!!!

I did my boat this year and it was like getting a new boat for the price of the mod. Check out the link. Cut my fuel use by 40 percent. I use a jack plate, you need 7 inches of travel. Most only move 5 inches. I have to move the engine a couple bolt holes up or down each time. They make one built for this purpose. Do a web search. I saw the ad in a Fish Alaska magazine. Well worth the time and money.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=12357

Steve

Thumbs up Shift/Throttle Cable is Shorter

The cable that went to the jet foot will likely be to long when you hook it up directly to the outboard. I tried to loop mine, but it put a lot of resistance on the cable. I ended up putting a new one on (3 foot shorter). Works great. You'll love the performance increase of a prop.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Careful

I wanted to do this with my Honda Outboard but since it came from the factory as a jet the gearing is different (as they told me AFTER I had bought the boat....before hand they weren't sure who to ask???) and therefore it's difficult to go from Jet to Prop. Not hard to do it the other way aroudn from what I hear though and if your engine was originally designed for a prop it won't be a problem. Just something to ask about i guess

Brett

Default Honda Jets

Bayrunner, I swap between jet and prop on my Honda 150. The units shaft slide into the motor itself. Mine came from the shop as a jet. I have to say that mine preforms much better with the prop. Check out the link in this thread. I'm very pleased with mine.

Steve

Bayrunner I have never heard of the engines being geared differently between a prop and a jet from the factory. All of the gearing is in the lower unit not the powerhead.

Here is a link to the only company that makes jet units for outboard motors.
    http://www.outboardjets.com/Honda.htm

This is a good article on outboard jets units.
    http://www.scottandjenn.com/etomite/index.php?id=22

Default Why

Why did shop which will remain nameless tell me that this wouldn't work? Back then I had a line on a good deal on a prop lower unit!!! I'll try to contact Honda and get to the bottom of this because I've heard so many different stories.

It would be great if it would work though

B

Bayrunner I am not an expert by any means but have learned to never take one persons or shops word for it!