Thread: Eye Relief Can Not Be Over Looked With The Big Ones

Default Eye Relief Can Not Be Over Looked With The Big Ones

Eye relief is so important to consider on a rifle scope when the rifle has the potential to assult your face. I was only 28yrs old. I had one of those day where I felt I had arrived and wanted everybody at the range to think I was really in the know. That I was a serious hunter with my new big bore rifle. I will never forget when I first pulled the trigger on this big bore. It was a hard kicking rifle and the scope cut a half moon right between my eyes so bad that before I put the rifle down I had blood in my eyes and it was streaming off my chin. A lot of things happened in that moment to cause that rifle to jump up and tear my face up. First, I did not hold the rifle in a scure and proper manner. Second, I leaned forward to much with my head while trying to shoot from the bench. Third, I had the rifle postioned on my shoulder wrong. Fourth, the scope was a cheap low line scope. Fifth, I had no idea just how hard a 458 Win Mag with a classic stock and a 500gr bullet would try and beat the shooter to death with one blow. Not only was there blood running down my face and in my eyes, I saw a whole lot of little twinkling stars, and my head felt like it was about to split. Now to add insult to injury, the range master came over with a first-aid kit and was working on my head when he said, "You never shot one of these before have you?" My ego was broken, my pride was telling me to lie to him and make an excuse, but I just said in a defeated hurt way "NO". Of course, he also made me feel lower than a snakes belly by simply saying, "I thought so when I saw that scope you had on your rifle." I said, "what?" Even with my head hurting so bad, he caught my attention when he commented about my scope. I said, "what do you mean when you saw my scope?" He began to teach me about eye relief and I never have forgotten that lesson. I did not shoot another round that day as I picked up my rifle and put it in it's case. I gathered up my other stuff along with my wounded pride and walked off the range never looking around for fear of what I might see in the eyes of the other shooters. Oh, I did ask him what scope he felt would work good and that gave great eye relief and he said, "spend the money and buy a Leupold." That is what is on my ..416WBY Mag and that is all I will ever put on a big bore that tries to kill the shooter as well as the game.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default That scar...

That scar is your badge for the rite of passage into the "Crescent Scar Scope Bit Club". Okay, I made that one up (but I ain't givin' up my membership in the He Man Wimmin Hater's Club)...
    My first one was when I went over the hood on my old Ford pickup, laid a friend's old Savage 110 7mm mag with Simmons 4X scope, and perhaps the absolute worst designed buttstock I've ever put in my arms....that Mother came back, and same deal, little blue stars, green clovers, magic mushrooms, the whole deal. Blood running down my nose, around my nose into and out of my moustache.....
    Thought I'd learnt my lesson, till I finished up my second .375 H&H. What a beaut she was, too! Absolutely could NOT wait for my mail-order Leupold to show up, so I put some nondescript cheapy on there, grabbed my bags, some hot rod loaded 270 gr. handloads, and headed to the range. First round was in the black so I went for a group. Second round was "deja vu all over again". At least I paid that scope back, because when it hit my granite hard skull, I busted the ocular lense and cross hairs out!
    In the right light you can see that the scars cross each other, and looks sorta like that Saturn automobile logo thing.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-15-2007 at 06:46. Reason: .

My 10y old son had his first scope eye when he was 7 and he wanted so bad to shoot my mini-14 w/scope.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Flip over mounts, never again

One fall my brotherinlaw, his dad and I were boating up the Kuskokwim heading for the Holitna river to hunt moose. Enroute we stopped on a gravel bar to have lunch, decided to check our rifles to make sure they were still sighted in, his dad shot a few rounds through his custom Remington 700 in caliber 358 Norma Magnum and then let us shoot a few. My brotherinlaw took out his 30-06 which he inherited from his grandfather, the rifle was a JC Higgins don't remember which Model it was, his rifle was mounted with a flip over scope mount, he shot a round then asked if I wanted to shoot. I took his rifle went to a kneeling position fired a shot the mount flipped over and nailed me on the eyebrow. He told me the mount must have worked loose. Ended up visiting the next village clinic on the river. First and last time I shot a rifle with a flip over scar your eyebrow scope mount.
    My niece just this summer shot her husband's 300 Remington Ultra Mag and she end up with stitches. She has shot rifles before but not magnums. He definitely needs a low power scope or an IER scope on his rifle, if she is ever going to shoot it again.

I joined Darralds club a couple of years ago. I've been scope bit before but one year I got nailed by a scoped 50 BMG. I had to take a few steps back and regroup on that one. All my bigbores have always been iron sighted.

One time my wife joined the club with a little ole 30-06. she was a trooper though, she wiped the blood away and chambered another round. she snuck up on the rifle and I couldnt let her do it again so I held my hand over the objective lens until she scooted back. She hasnt made that mistake again.

eye relief= priceless

When I go to the range I always wear shooting glasses. Usually I'm the only one wearing glasses but I've talked to far too many people who had a round blow up in their gun and then taken to the hospital. The first time I touched off a load for my 300RUM with 1 grain below max of H870 I was glad I was wearing those shooting glasses. The scope bounced right off my left lens. I had to buy a new pair but atleast I didn't require stitches.

I have had the scope hit me before, but never hard enough to draw blood or cause me to see stars. Not to say that my turn isn't coming....I've just been really lucky, so far.

If you intend to pay the initiation dues for the CSSBC be sure to do it in very cold weather and be shooting into a stiff breeze. It causes the blood to flow less freely and holds down the swelling so you can man up and finish sighting in. At least that's my experience with adding character to my face. New Omega 50 cal. 1 too many Pyrodex pellets, and an improper hold. Now one of the first things I look at when scope shopping is eye relief. Leupold is the way to go when shooting the big stuff. Knowing you're not going to get poked in the eye goes along way toward avoiding the flinches in my psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Knowing you're not going to get poked in the eye goes along way toward avoiding the flinches in my psyche.
    Amen Flyer55 on knowing you're not going to be poked in the eye. It sure goes a long way in keeping groups tight and putting the mind at rest.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS