Thread: Taku steelhead

Default Taku steelhead

Have heard, and seen, that the steelhead are back in Taku Inlet. Any thoughts out there about how to catch them? All I have seen or heard of are from the commercial guys who are just throwing them back, but I want em to eat. Can you troll for them like salmon? Also I suspect since they are running in the inlet that they will be up the river soon. Any general areas people would be willing to divulge? I dont want YOUR spot, but a creek name might be down right cool of ya.

Thanks

I'd suspect that you have to go into canada a long ways to find em... Try trolling prawns or make friends with a gill netter
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Plenty of creeks in there with Steelhead....However....being that we own land and a cabin up there...I cannot divulge.....But they are up there

Totally understand. But, be advised, you might see a raving lunatic running up the river on a jet boat, hair on fire, screaming Johnny Cash, chasing the grey ghosts until they give and submit to my will.

EPW: Back "in the day" I caught SMALL steelhead at Dupont with a Krokodile in the baby raindow pattern.

I'm not sure if that will help, but, it is close to the area and gives you something to start with.

Soggy,

Most definitly helps. Were they fall or spring run? I am just looking for some stuff to increase my fishing season this year and try to make it year round if I can. Once the silvers die off, or ever show in real force, I will need something else to try for.

AKPM,
    I dont think the gill netters will like MY line of work or tell me anything about even a goldfish. HA

EPW: It was a long time ago, but I'll say it was spring... We'd go out there and fish for dollies.

I do not think that these fish were "running" anywhere... they were all juveniles. Maybe 15" or less. I think they are resident feeders.

theres a run of 8 fall steelhead in auke creek, I caught one once, towed my float tube around...

Just 8 huh. Sounds like a challenge. I may be down for it. Are you back in Juneau? I live out at Amalga now so I might run into you out there.

I was fishing for silvers so it suprised the crap out of me, it was a year of record runs, it was 20 and yup I'm back in J town and angry at peterson silvers for not hitting...

Tell me about it. I have caught 3 all month there. Although I did catch the biggest I have ever caught there last week. They are little *******s there. I wonder if they are laughing at us?

Please don't feed the monkey.

He has an open invite to go with me anywhere/time. But, he wants to hunt deer in 4 hours, and fish in a different spot.

EP: Good on you for the property out there.

epw - pm coming your way....