Thread: Ketchikan, Next week

Default Ketchikan, Next week

I will be in Ketchikan for all of next week and was wondering if anyone had any reports for the area. Looking to just stream or lake fish for some trout. I have heard Ward Creek should be pretty good about that time, but are there any other ideas? Any steelhead running yet down there?

Thanks for any info.

Default EPW

I haven't heard of any SH yet in Ward Lake but pinks are in abundant and there are some coho's available. When the pinks and coho are there so are dollies and trout.

Best fishing in the lake would be off an area called Grassy Point, it's in the inlet of the lake right out in front of the bridge. Another good place is to walk the inlet creek at least up to the forks-maybe 1/4 mile.

Rivers in the area should be about the same.

good luck

kingfisherktn
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 09-14-2007 at 17:31. Reason: added info

Thanks, I will definitly be trying Ward Creek and Lake a couple o' nights next week. I have heard tell of some rainbows up the creek around the bridge? Any thoughts?

Can't say much for Ketchikan itself but the Cohos were just starting to come in on POW as of the first week of September.

Default epw

You can find them, at times, in the hole just starting up the creek by grassy point. The bridge over the road doesn't typically hold any fish. From the bridge up the creek you won't find many places to hold fish for a good 100 yards, you'll then start hitting some holes around both sides of the bank, around logs and under overhanging branches and trees. As you keep working your way up and cross the stream you'll come to a deep hole where a swinging bridge used to be. It was removed 10-15 years. This hole will usually hold fish and you can fish that hole and around the corner into another smaller hole right as the stream forks. I'll usually cross the stream between the 2 holes and fish the smaller one from the opposite bank and then continue fishing the left stream up to a small set of falls-maybe another 100 yards.

If your fishing flies, egg patterns should be working well now. I've also done well with wolly worms and beaded prince nymphs (#10-12).

Wading out in front of grassy point and fishing the edge of the drop off should be productive. I'd use the same above flies, but could add any coho fly and dark leaches. I typically stick with the prince.

If you are lure fishing, remember this is a single hook fishery and they DO monitor it.

kingfisherktn