Thread: Dont Touch the Beads???

Default Dont Touch the Beads???

I recently read an article in "Fish Alaska" Magazine written by Greg Brush that stated that you shouldnt touch your kwick fish with your hands because the human scent will make the plug less effective.

Would this also be true using beads for trout? Has anyone tried this? and if so, did it make a difference?

Wink Hmmmm. . .

Take this for what it's worth 'cause I've no experience with baited king plugs, but it sounds like "hook-'n-bullet," "sport-writer" hooey to me.

How then do fly fishermen, using wet flies and nymphs or anglers using lures or even anglers using eggs for silvers ever catch a fish without leaving human scent on the fly or the lure or the eggs? Yet all catch lots of fish. . .

When I used to trap fox and coyote, I was careful about leaving human scent, but fish. . . ?

Are fish really that discerning? I doubt it. . .

Read some articles and books by Bob Toman. He has done a lot of "experiments" with different scents in king filled waters. I read a little in a recent article in STS magazine and found it pretty interesting. Fishermen in the Pacific NW are very particular on how they handle their plugs.
    Most of it is overkill (IMO) but little things are the difference on many days and on many fish.

I handle every bead I use - pretty much have to in order to peg it. I'd say it's bunch of poo, really, probably some experiment somebody tried and they caught fish when they would've caught fish regardless. I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Default interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by lv4bowfishin View Post
    I recently read an article in "Fish Alaska" Magazine written by Greg Brush that stated that you shouldnt touch your kwick fish with your hands because the human scent will make the plug less effective.

Would this also be true using beads for trout? Has anyone tried this? and if so, did it make a difference?
    This is an interesting consideration, but I haven't experienced any problem with handling my flies, beads, etc.

Imagine a moving piece of water (the type perfect for bouncing beads along the bottom). When a fish hits a bead (or whatever fly) I think in most circumstances it has to swim left or swim right to get it. Any scent coming off the bead would be flowing in the waters natural course down stream from the bead. If the fish is moving from left or right to get the bead, only for the last split second would the fish be in the "scent path". So I can't imagine scent playing any role in this scenario. I have casted a bead upstream of dollies in very clear water and watched them swim hard left of right to get the bouncing bead. When they get to the bead, a lot of the times swimming downstream, they hit so fast and from an angle they aren't in the "scent path" that I do not believe they could have possibly smelled the bead first.

Now I know people who fish with PowerBait in Colorado for trout. This involves the boring process of casting out the bait and letting it sit. They do catch fish, so the fish almost has to be smelling the bait, particularly when fisherman is fishing at night under vary low light.

Conclusion: fish do use their sniffer sometimes, but in a moving stream I dont think smell plays a very big role because it cant.

Thats pretty much how i feel about it too. I guess latex gloves (which is what Greg said that he uses) would be the only way to keep your scent off of them. I personally am not that into it, unless it made a huge difference. Thanks for the input.

Good god i can see me pulling my latex gloves out of my bags on my raft on a nice 30mph wind raining sideways day on the kenai so i can pick out another bead and get it on my line. Im sure that scent might have a small influence but overall i have been handling my beads with bare hands from spring untill fall and my leeches,flesh flys, smolt patterns etc etc. have always treated me well. yes i have bad days, good days, great days and there is always that 1 special day of the year. I think it is how you hold your mouth when you cast (LOL) Skill, bead or fly selection and presentation have always been my concern. Just my 1/2 cent worth folks. Oh and like my wife just said, her hands get so dry on the river sometimes she used lotion on them and still sets her rig up and does well. So who knows. Im sure opinions or articles like that sell things though
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The fly that caught this one was made out of peacock and chicken by me without latex gloves, so I'm gonna go with a resounding NO

the only reason to wear latex glove when fishing is because you don't want bait smells on your hands
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

Well Said Powder. Well Said
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Talking Other uses

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The fly that caught this one was made out of peacock and chicken by me without latex gloves, so I'm gonna go with a resounding NO

the only reason to wear latex glove when fishing is because you don't want bait smells on your hands
    Or the blood and guts on your hands when you clean that puppy for the smoker.