Thread: Kenai River/Cook Inlet Issues. . .

Exclamation Kenai River/Cook Inlet Issues. . .

How about a new forum in the Alaska Fishing Forums titled" Kenai River Issues" or "Kenai River/Cook Inlet Issues" or "Fisheries Management Issues" into which all threads dealing with management, Board of Fisheries proposals, allocation issues and much more could be posted.

The Kenai River is, I believe, the most contentious fishery in the state and Cook Inlet only slightly less so. And didn't I read somewhere that half of all the fishing done in Alaska is done on the Kenai Peninsula? Our fisheries need a place to air the issues that Alaskans must deal with.

BoF knows how contentious the Kenai can be as does ADF&G, DNR, DEC, KRSMA and more. Ideally such a forum would be a place to post opposing views, allowing the uninformed to come to an informed opinion. Moreover, those not interested in such matters need not even access the forum. Finally, the Fishing Forum would be left to threads dealing solely with fishing.

Personally, I think the Fishing Forums are incomplete without a designated forum for Kenai River issues.

This is something that the moderator team has been discussing, Marcus. You'll see something along these lines in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion.

Default How's it progressing. . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    This is something that the moderator team has been discussing, Marcus. You'll see something along these lines in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Thanks, Brian. . . are you guys getting any closer to a decision?

Planning on putting something together this evening after work.

The new subforum for fisheries management is up, Marcus. Let me know what you think about the "subforum" design. It's a tool we haven't used before, but it seems fitting in this case.

Smile My two-cents worth. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The new subforum for fisheries management is up, Marcus. Let me know what you think about the "subforum" design. It's a tool we haven't used before, but it seems fitting in this case.
    Well, it's okay, but I'd rather see "Fisheries Management" with its own independent forum in the Fishing Forums. Too little and too late do many Alaskans understand how politicized our fisheries have become and how that affects allocation, who gets to fish, for how much, how often, and much, much more—all aspect of fishing with much larger implications than how to tie a piece of herring on a king plug.

Gone are the days when we just "went fishin.'" Way past time to wake up. The current thread about "Recycled fish" in the Fishing Forum is a good example of how ideological and convoluted fisheries management has become.

Give Fisheries Management its own forum. . .