Thread: New model Sako 85's are here!

Default New model Sako 85's are here!

http://www.sako.fi/

Who's up for one or more ?

The Bavarian & the Finnlight look the goods!

I don't have one, but those new Sako's are very tempting. Though, I think I'm sold on getting a Kimber Varmint.

Default Sako 85

I like the looks of the laminated stainless. I think a 9.3x62 could be fun.

Default crpf

The model 85 "controlled round feed" is very reminiscent of Winchester's "controlled round push-feed" rifles. I wasn't that impressed with the design personally. Definitely not a Mauser type action. Not that there's anything wrong with that.... I was disappointed though when I saw that the product advertised as a CRF rifle was something of a hybrid.

I have a small disappointment with the synthetic 85's, they don't have the sako palm swell. And the reason why they don't is also disappointing, money. I asked the rep why and he said they would need different molds for right and left hand guns. Without the swell they can use the same mold. In the big picture it really doesn't matter much but I like the palm swell on the other sakos.

I have an 85 hunter in 338 federal that I got last year it sucks a round up out of the mag so slick that at first I would have to open the bolt just to make sure it had chambered a round whatever you want to call the feed controled round or hybrid it seems to work very well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    I have a small disappointment with the synthetic 85's, they don't have the sako palm swell. And the reason why they don't is also disappointing, money. I asked the rep why and he said they would need different molds for right and left hand guns. Without the swell they can use the same mold. In the big picture it really doesn't matter much but I like the palm swell on the other sakos.
    Yeah I must say I'm a fan of the swell as well! Sako never should of dropped it IMO.
    But saying that I would not hesitate in buying an 85. Sweet rig on the shoulder, & I'm sure they are just as good in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by corjack View Post
    I have an 85 hunter in 338 federal that I got last year it sucks a round up out of the mag so slick that at first I would have to open the bolt just to make sure it had chambered a round whatever you want to call the feed controled round or hybrid it seems to work very well IMO.

What do you think of the 338Fed Corjack?

I positively love it. Have been hunting with 200 Hornady spire points killed 6 deer with 6 shots easy on the shoulder makes a substantial hole in a deer and you can eat right up to the hole.

Got a box of 200 Kodiacs from Murphy that I will try along with some 210 swift scirroccos.

IMR 4895 worked the best for me last year but now that there is more data out I will give RL15 another try.

Unhappy

I was looking at getting a Finnlight 85 this winter. My partners had a 300wsm on this years sheep hunt that I loved. Was actually very dissapointed to see a couple weeks later that they had came out with a new model and changed two of the key features I really liked about the rifles, the Monte-carlo stock and the palm swell. Guess I'll have to hurry up and find one still on a shelf somewhere before it gets replaced with the new model. Saw some of the new 85's at Sportman's Warehouse this weekend. The problem is, with exception to the latest model showing up, noone in the Anchorage area stocks Sako.

Default Is the 85 Stainless synthetic..

available in the US in .375 H&H?
    If I did my homework correctly, the Sako/Finland website (http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85SyntheticSS.pdf) says they offer it,
    but the Beretta/Sako web site (http://www.berettausa.com/product/pr...ifles_main.htm) doesn't list that caliber, only goes up to .338 WM.

Yes the 375H&H is coming out.
    Sweet weight also, great carry around rig with thump.

It is indeed inspiring to see the innovation and the ends that modern manufacturing goes to, to replace hand craft work and pride.

We've come along way from the days of quality craftsmanship, to the doors of quality control. Thank goodness the young will never know the difference.

I'm sure the day will soon come when the manufacturer will boast and label
    "UNTOUCHED BY HUMAN HANDS"

Never look back, only look forward!

I'd like to see the Bavarian stock with the Satinless (like the Hunter Stainless but with the better wood stock).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.