Thread: Value, or waste of money?

Default Value, or waste of money?

I've been researching square stern canoes for a couple of months. Tonight I was messing around on line and came across Pelican canoes. Their 16' square stern sells for around $660, has a cargo rating of 950lbs, and is rated for a 5hp outboard.

From just reading about them, they look comparable in construction to Old town's ss150 preditor , but about half the price of the Old town.

Anyone here ever fooled around with one of these?

I bought one last Spring. I put a 6hp Johnson (2 stroke) on it. I know 5 hp is the max, but those ratings are based mainly on engine weight. My 6hp is definitely not too much motor or weight at appx 45lbs. That was the smallest motor I could get with forward, neutral, and reverse...something to think about.

Without the motor it weighs 125lbs, not easily carried long distances but very stable in the water. I also bought one of those canoe carriers from Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops, just in case I need to carry it down a trail.

There are more expensive and better canoes out there, but it works for me. This is my first canoe, so I can't give you any comparisons. Hope this helps.

Default canoe worth

they all work just fine, if not it would not sell,
    it all depends on how much you want to shell out for your fun an what you want to do with it back pack it , do rivers, do ponds or long trips it is all you to you an how much you want to shell out good luck

PS no mater what eng you get make shure there is no sheer pin in it ,you want a slip cluch in the prop if your wallet can stand it

SID
    Last edited by Sid; 09-14-2007 at 11:04. Reason: to add a comment

Thanks for the input KWP, and Sid.

KWP, are the seats adjustable or are they molded in?

Sid, could you please give me some examples of 5-15hp outboards that come with slip clutches vs. sheer pins? Any outboard that I would get would most likely be a previously owned one, so is this feature restricted to certain makes, models, years, or hp ratings?

Anyone have any thoughts, or advice, on mounting Go devil type outboards on canoes of this style and size?

Seats are plastic and bolted in place with almost no adjustments available. I could easily modify the seat bracket area and make them adjustable, but they seem to fit me fine as is.

I bought my engine from ebay for $250.00 (delivered)! It's older with sheer pins, but for the Tolovan near Minto and the ponds and lakes around Fairbanks it works fine. A slip clutch would be great though. I just can't justify the cost versus the amount of time I use the engine on the canoe.

Default Money

KWP hit it ,it is all money,
    all MERKS from about 1975 to now an OMC from about 1980 could be earler, In big rivers an ponds it don't matter but if you are in South centrel I would look for a slip cluch all you have to do is take the prop off an look, if no pin in shaft you got a slip cluch as for the 5 to 15 HP it is all in weight off the back end the bigger the canoe the bigger the motor most people don't use all the HP, except in fast water or large water to make time, every person talks about there eng being the best but few people buy new it is normaly a use eng that fits there bank account good luck
    SID

Thanks for the information guys. After really looking the Pelicans/Colemans, which from near as I can tell are the exact same boat except Coleman charges you $100 more to put their logo on the side, I can't really see a clear cut advantage to buying an Old town. The fact that the Old town would cost me $675 more really clouds up any advantage that one of their canoes would have over a Pelican canoe.

$675 will buy a pretty good used outboard from what I can see. Thanks again for sharing your information guys.

I can't comment on the square stoned canoes (did have a coleman scanoe ~20 years ago) but I can compare a pelican double ender vs an oldtown.

The pelican I had was considerably heavier, the bottom would oilcan and the pelican was much harder to paddle than the old town. The hull shape has a big effect on how a boat handles, and how much it can carry, and canoe that won't hold it's shape is a poor canoe at best.

If you're going to use the motor to do the work all the time, maybe the hull design doesn't matter. But when it comes to a canoe you'll paddle, the extra money spent an a quality canoe is money well spent.

We got our money's worth and years of service from the pellican, but if I knew then what I know now, I never would have bought one.

I agree with Paul, if you are going to be paddling it then a good canoe is worth the money. With a motor and the slow speeds you will be going, I would be inclined to stay on the cheaper side.