Thread: Chitina? Any news?

Default Chitina? Any news?

Hi
    Got down once this summer, in mid to late June but was slow. Got a dozen or so and gave most to Proxie. Thought I'd get down for sure again before this but a job switch ect. has prevented that. Might be the last chance for the year this weekend. I imagine there will still be reds and hopefully more reds than silvers. Have rough directions to a spot well above O'Brien Creek involving a 15 minute walk in.
    Wondering if anyone has any news? or advice? (Freely given, as it will be freely taken or not)
    I did go some years ago in late-ish Sept. and did well with Silvers. Got dark at night and freezing cold.(in morning there was ice where water splashes up on rocks) Which is not the case there in late June, July and early Aug. Though even in the warmest months when the wind blows, late or early, I usually find myself with every warm piece of clothing on and far from too warm.
    I still have some reds from last year and even two years ago. Vacuum packing sure extends the taste. Would be great to have another two dozen or so though!
    Anyone have any accurate first hand information, fairly dependable second hand reports or flat out friend of a friend heard something from a stranger gossip?
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Silvers - A good Run

The water level is down but the silvers were running well last week. I finished up getting 10 in an hour. Its not hot like reds but they do flow in when the water surges.

This week might be your last chance. No charters are running and the hotel is done for the winter.

Salmon point is busy during weekends but you probably could find a spot down there or even just get fish from O'Brien Creek.

I find it amazing that people really start wading during the last part of the season.

Best Wishes,

Thomas

Default Chitina

I was down at O'brian Creek on August 29th. Of all the years that I've gone, this was by far the most enjoyable. The weather could not have been nicer. I did take my 4 wheeler but didn't need it. The water was lower than I've ever seen. The fishing right there at O'brian Creek was excellent. I caught my 30 reds right there. The fish were nice and bright and with good size. I probably threw about 8 back due to color or cuts. Other people had been picking up a few silvers but I only got reds. The late season is great because you have the whole place to yourself. I did see a very large black bear on the way out. It's been a couple of weeks but I hope that this helps you out.

Default Maybe this weekend

Thanks for news. Missed this last weekend too. New job has more responsibilities and new ones for me. Maybe can get unwound from it enough for a monday off this next week. Would like to believe there would be some reds but not expecting it. Have got directions from two sources to Salmon Point. O'Brien Creek sounds good too. When I was down in June talked with Mark Hem and he said how just days before someone had waded out right there at O'Brien Creek for the first time and was successful. Other people caught on quick. He called it "The sharing of traditional knowledge"!
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com