Thread: Like a Laser = My 257-300WBY I am goint to test

Default Like a Laser = My 257-300WBY I am goint to test

Thanks to Michael I am going to try a cartridge that has really got me excited. I am sending my 257WBY him and he is going to ream it to a 257-300WBY and I will be fitting it with a HS-Precision stock. Michael says, that all I would need to do is a rechamber job and nothing else changes besides the metal mag well will need to have the reducer taken out which is just removed very easily. My cases will be formed from .300WBY in .270 dies then to .257 dies with out the decaper and expander, then neck reamed for the first run cases only. Then I can use the .257 dies to form, neck size, and reload it like I always do. As Michael said, "I can tell you that John Lazzeroni has nothing on this round." It will move 100gr TSX at 4060fps plus, has 3660 pounds of energy at muzzle and still has 1464 pounds of energy at 600yds. Sight in at 2.9" high at 100yds and only be -8.1 at 500yds. I will not get it back until sometime in October or November. So it will be for later this season at best. This will give me cool months to develope a good fast hunting load with the 100gr TSX. As I said, I have been ask to right a review on it once I get it. Reporting on load development and accuracy as well as killing effect on game. If the rifle barrel is not free-bored the throat would might not last a 1000 rounds but being free-bored (as some have already discovered with free bored barrels they last longer) so I am guessing it will last somewhere between 1500-2000 rounds. Also when at the range I will not shoot it hot allowing it to cool completely between rounds. In doing so it will insure a longer life for the barrel. Of course this is not for varmints so I won't fire many rounds, the most being from load development. Yep, this ought to be cool and just fun to try. With my 257WBY reamed to 257-300WBY and with the 100gr TSX, I am sure I will be in awe of this cartridge when it hits game whether up close or far off. I bet it will give me the preception (not accually happening) that before the recoil moves the scope you will see the animal being hit even at long ranges." Yes, this will be a lot of fun when the rifle is delivered and I begin to develop loads and go shooting.

I just love this stuff, it is so much fun. I love very well made rifles, fast cartridges and hard hitting tough bullets. They create the best of all that man has tried to accomplish with the hunting rifle for killing game. First, speed, causing hydrostatic shock due to high energy that tears stuff up. Second, penetrating momentum from velocity times mass which makes deep holes that let air in an blood out. Third, devastating everything around and along the wound channel upsetting the skeletal and nervous system along the way, insured by tough bullets like the TSX opening up and holding together. Yes, this should be a lot of fun.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Mike,
    You're more ballistics crazy than I am. This stuff is a hoot.

You may need to buy a die to neck the 300 case to 7 or 27 then to 257. The 300 case is not only longer it is .4949" at the shoulder. All the smaller Wby's are 2.549" long and .4921" at the shoulder. That isn't a lot but may make a tight squeeze. I have an up and coming project in the near future with the 300 WBY necked down to 264. I have a set of custom dies with an interim necker to .277" then to this 264 Weather-beezapper.

I just got some bad news today, I got an estimate for a set of dies for one of my wildcats and it was over $300. So much for the fun of being different.

Good luck with the new toy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Mike,
    You're more ballistics crazy than I am. This stuff is a hoot.

You may need to buy a die to neck the 300 case to 7 or 27 then to 257. The 300 case is not only longer it is .4949" at the shoulder. All the smaller Wby's are 2.549" long and .4921" at the shoulder. That isn't a lot but may make a tight squeeze. I have an up and coming project in the near future with the 300 WBY necked down to 264. I have a set of custom dies with an interim necker to .277" then to this 264 Weather-beezapper.

I just got some bad news today, I got an estimate for a set of dies for one of my wildcats and it was over $300. So much for the fun of being different.

Good luck with the new toy.
    Yea I know I am ballistic crazy. I did not know how much fun it was to be crazy until it just happened to me. I don't think I want to go back to being sain.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What twist rate are you using? Based on my experience with most 25 cals up through the 257 Wby, I'd sure be tempted to lean on a heavier bullet. Run the ballistic projections on it, but I'm betting that even with a slower max vel, a heavier bullet is going to be going faster before long, shoot flatter and hit with a lot more gewhiz than the 100. I got rid of my original 257 Wby long ago due to its slow twist and failure to stabilize bullets over 100 grains. Killed like lightning inside 300 yards, but beyond that it was outclassed on killing ability by the 25-06 with 115 or 120 grain bullets. Always intended to put together a fast twist 257 Wby, but other projects always got the money first. The extra velocity yours promised would make me really crazy if it wouldn't shoot the heavier bullets, too.

Well my 257WBY has a fast twist 1-10 and I shoot heavier bullets but my 25-06 Ruger never could keep up with my 257WBY no matter what bullet I used. My 25-06 has never shot as tight a groups and has never been close in velocity and I hand load for both. I like both 25's but the 257WBY much better. The 100gr TSX or the 115 TSX will do the job I want it to do. The 257-300WBY is not a cartridge for soft points. It is for tough bullets only.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

According to Load-From-A-Disc, your optimum twist would be 1-11 for the Barnes.
    Using that much powder I think you could gain from a 28" barrel, and even 30 inches would not be out-there depending on what it is you plan to hunt. An Arctic caribou would be a good target, but I don't think a Texas hog hunt would work with the long barrel.
    You can also check into a 3-groove barrel for the ultimate in velocity.
    This all assumes you'd want to buy a new barrel too. That rig is just going to flat tear them up. Not so bad with the Barnes as it won't vaporize when it hits, but I think it'll drop'em like a lightning bolt.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman, I sure hope it kills like a lightning bolt, I have the same notion that you do in believingn it will do just that.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Why not the 115g TSX or Ballistic tip?

Is there a good reason not to use the 115gr TSX? Wouldn't it buck the wind better than the lighter TSX? Would you consider using the 115gr Nosler ballistic tip when shooting > 300yards? At that distance the Nosler would likely handle the velocity without detonating upon impact...And, more importantly, is there really that much of benefit from the .257-.300 over the regular .257Wby in terms of mild increase in fps for a (presumed) increase in recoil? I have a .257 Vanguard myself and I don't do any holdover until 300yards. Even then, with my varmint-reticle Leupold the .257 is quite flat-shooting up to 400yards...

BTW, the ultimate high-speed, lightweight projectile is an x-ray gun--a very, VERY small project but the darn thing travels near the speed of light. Unfortunately it goes right through most things without them noticing... good luck with project, I don't think deer will be as lucky on the receiving end of a TSX as with the x-ray gun...hee, hee.

IceKing02

beartooth,

I have a new project, a cousin of your own. I have been tasked with the developement of load data and ammo for a 6.5-300 Weatherby. I have two step forming dies and f/l set from RCBS and new brass and of course all the components. I sort of had this dropped in my lap because the individual first tasked with it was unable to produce a usable product.

The new brass ends up looking really good with the ogee shoulder/neck trademark Weatherby look just necked to 264. I trimmed this brass to 2.815" the same as the 300 and hope that will work. I have not seen the rifle yet it is coming. I plan to cerrosafe the chamber to be sure of my dimensions. Just wondered if you or anyone else ever had one of these t load for.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

[quote=IceKing02] Is there a good reason not to use the 115gr TSX? Wouldn't it buck the wind better than the lighter TSX?

Usually, the heavier bullet for caliber will "buck the wind" better, but, what really counts in a bullets ballistic coefficient (BC) is the shape of the bullet. beartooth has done his homework. The 100 gr TSX has a higher BC than the 115 gr, Why? Simply because the engineers at barnes happened to make it more aerodynamic. On purpose or not, I don't know.

So, the answer is that the 100 gr TSX (BC 0.37) will buck the wind better, even if shot at the same velocity as the 115 gr TSX (BC 0.335)

Default Like a Laser

Beartooth
    The 257-300WBY sound like a fun project. I think it will be verey close to my 257 stw, I had it built on a Rem 700 action with a 27" 3 grove Pacnor barrel. The 100gr TSX is awsome at 4000 fps. Mine shoots them under .5 moa at 100yd. I agree with a lttle extra freebore it adds velocity as well as barel life. There is a guy from texas named Fergson that has shot a large Bison and a nice Elk each with one shoot. The 257 at thes velocities will kill anything in North America with Authority. So don't let the cannon cockers on this sight give you a hard time. (If I was going in to the brush after a big bear I would rather take my 375H&H, 416Rem, or 458win)

I'm building a second 257 stw with a 29" Advanced Barrel System carbon wraped barrel, 700 action and HighTec stock. It should weigh apro. 6.5 lb. w/o scope. Leupold 4.5X14 VXIII and talley light weight mounts will only add 1 lb.

One tip on reloading high volume small bores, use ball powder like Ramshot Magnum, stick powder can cause powder bridging and dangerous pressure variations.

DR B

Murphy,

There is load info on the 6.5/300Weatherby in the book "Wildcat Cartridges", published by Wolfe. It was once thought to be the new thing in long range, but I believe it would be easier and more efficient to do the 6.5/300 Winnie. The now defunct Arnold Arms came out with it and called the the ".264 Arnold".
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Murphy,

There is load info on the 6.5/300Weatherby in the book "Wildcat Cartridges", published by Wolfe. It was once thought to be the new thing in long range, but I believe it would be easier and more efficient to do the 6.5/300 Winnie. The now defunct Arnold Arms came out with it and called the the ".264 Arnold".

Thanks Nitroman. I have that book and just thought to look in there last night.
    There isn't much just loads with H570 and H870, so it's pretty dated, but still helps the extrapolation. Arnold was sure proud of the 8mm Rem mag case or the 7STW/358 STA case. This one is the same capacity just Weatherby-ized shoulder. I did find more modern anfo in Arnolds book of his calibers. (Wow I just typed anfo instead of info as I typed about powder such....I am a true demo)

Hot, hot load. Would be a hoot to shoot a moose/caribou with one of those, can I borrow your rifle this winter?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Has anyone else tried Ramshot Magnum powder? I've had verey good luck with my 257 stw and Ramshot Hunter is the best 300 wsm powder I've found, Made my gunsmith try it, I sent him a lb, and now he uses it to test fire his 300 wsms.

Murph
    Have you taken a look at the 6.5 Allen Mag it's 6.5-338 rum It's hoter than the wildcats built on the H&H case.

DR B

Default BC and Barnes Bullets

I had an occasion to ask Randy Books one time at the SCI Convention why the actual BCs of his bullets were so grossly overstated. He laughed and said " Well, we have to remain competitive".

BC numbers...and their accompying drop tables...are bantered about by shooters as though they were created on Mt.Sinai.

The only accurate and legitimate way to calculate BC is fire a round over a measured distance through 2 known to be accurate chronos and measure the time of flight.Very few individuals can arrange this setup.

For many bullets, the results are sobering.And of course, actual BC will fluctuate significantly with the same bullet and varying muzzle velocity.Sierra proved this years ago.