Thread: Blacktail Deer Hunt

Default Blacktail Deer Hunt

I am trying to plan a Blacktail Deer hunt with some buddies sometime in November or December. We are looking to do a do it yourself hunt on Kodiak Island. I found a lodge that charges a group of 4 $125 per night per person. All food and other necesities are on us. I was wondering if anyone has done a hunt like this before and can give me some pointers to lodges that specialize in "do it yourself hunts". I also was wondering if anyone can shine a little light on airfare out to Kodiak and what I can expect to pay for it.I was told it would be cheaper to fly commercially from Anchorage to Kodiak then charter a bush pilot on Kodiak to fly to the lodge. I have also been told you can find decent air fare right out of Anchorage to the lodge. Any pointers would be appreciated.

You can also just take the state ferry down with all of your stuff if you are going to Kodiak (the city) or the nearest port to your lodge...then fly to the lodge.

If you really want a "do it yourself" hunt then skip the lodge and buy some good tents. Most deer around cabins and lodges and canneries learn very fast to move out of the area. The only exception to this would be if the lodge is furnishing a boat and you can run a long ways before you get out and start hiking to the tops.
    Tenting into an area will vastly improve your chances of finding big deer.
    Problem with the ferry is if you get stranded out in your hunting camp and miss your return ride. I believe the ferry only runs one trip a week in the winter.
    Tennessee

Default Try these

This outfit has a nice set-up in a great area.

http://www.zacharbay.com/

i agree with the tent option, some of the bays get hammer by commercial transporters, a few of them take up to 100 deer hunters in the areas they work each year, thats alot of guys shooting at deer for several months, pick a small bay with rough water and you'll have a better hunt than an area thats set up as a hunter hotel. deer are dumb, but they aren't stupid! but if you don't care what kinda deer you shoot, then just go down there and hunt where ever, you'll still have some fun!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

In Nov and Dec try to be close to headlands. The deer move into these areas for the rut, yet they aren't all that accessible to the commercial operators. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I believe airfare from Anchorage/Kodiak is around $150-200. If you have AK air frequent flier miles it's a good use for them.

Just make sure you don't have a hard return date, as whether delays are almost guranteed that time of year.

you will get sticker shock on your air support - so be forewarned. If you want to go south Island - ~2K for a Beaver load on 1200lbs is what it will cost you.

I agree with the tent options - get somewhere away from the lodges and you'll do fine. Winter kill last year in some areas was large, whereas other areas had zero problems.

The cheapest part of that hunt is the flight from Anc to Kodiak

i think anc to kodiak is about 290 round trip right now, drive down, take the ferrry outa homer, spend more and save when you go to bring all your meat home!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

ferry trip with a car is about $250 each way about 80 bucks each way with out one, try and get the kenicott on the return trip so you can put your coolers on the baggage cart, of course thats providing they fix the kenicott
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.