Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Moose Float Hunt

Default 2007 Moose Float Hunt

This trip started along time before we hit the water. Two members of the hunting party researched the drainage and decided on the dates as well as planning for the air taxi service. All this had to be done months in advance. I was invited along and brought both equipment and some experience. We invested in a pre hunt over flight of the area to both look for river hazards as well as likely hunting spots.

This drainage is heavily hunted and we knew that we had to hunt an area instead of float hunting. Here is a few photos of our gear as we start our hunt. We all are eager to start our adventure.
    We had a father and son, his friend and myself. Ages 55, 30, 21 and myself 44.

After many hours of planning and preparation we are on the water at last.

Default Day 1

After a short float on the river we reach an area with both fresh sign and good vantages to glass from.

Default Day 2

I woke early an enjoyed a wonderful sunrise.

Not long into the morning after some calling and brush beating I spotted several bulls on a hillside.
    There was 3 bulls greater than 50 inches. Later that day I saw 3 more lesser bulls. We continued to call along the river.
    The Grayling fishing was awesome and provided midday entertainment.
    After returning to camp I pointed the bulls out to my hunting partners. We enjoyed a good meal, a nice sunset and went to bed.

Default Day 3

The sun greeted me with another wonderful show. I continued to call and watch the bulls on the hillside. I saw several moose and enjoyed watching them react to calling.

After about 9:00am the bulls bedded down and we returned to camp. While at camp at around 2:30 pm we spotted two young bulls on a gravel bar near where we have been calling. We closed the distance to around 200 yards and one of our party scored on his first Alaskan moose.
    After we used a come along to pull him from the water he was dressed and hanging on the meat pole in around 4 hours. He kept the hide so we hung it as well.

Default Day 4

After calling for a while I decided to scout the area for trails and other sign. While walking on a game trail I found this skull from a earlier hunt.

After watching the bulls for 3 days the younger members of the party both who have never taken a moose could not stand it anymore. They wanted to go up after them. I tried to explain that those bulls were much larger than the bull we had dressed on the water. I also tried to get them to understand both the difficult terrain and the weight that they would have to bring back down. They were both still eager to have a go at them. Since I had spotted the bulls they ask if a minded. I gave them my blessing asking only that they not take one if they could not get it back to the river. The bulls were 2.3 miles straight line distance from the river with some of that swamp. This is were our age and different places in our hunting careers came into conflict. I have taken a moose and enjoy calling them to me. I could not make that climb even if I want to. For me the thrill was to watch them everyday and try to lure them to me with the sounds of love.

But how could I claim them and not give these young men a shot at a very large moose.
    I agreed to provide direction from the opposite hill using bucket lids to give direction to the bull. In the photo you can see both the hunters and the bull. The hunters have orange backpacks on.

After a 4 hour stalk they closed the distance. They tried to call the bull to them and while doing so called in a lesser bull. He winded them and they had to move quickly to get into a shooting position. The bull was with a cow and he was not leaving her unprotected. The bull and cow got their wind and started to run, the bull stopped and we heard a shot from across the valley and the big bull disappeared. This was at 3:30 pm, they returned to camp about an hour after dark, both exhausted and dehydrated. I had ask them to take a water pump but they wanted to be light and thought they would be back soon. They went to bed both smarter and with some tough days of packing ahead of them.

Default Day 5 and 6

After they shot the bull they had some tough packing to do. I have to admit that I had my doughtís that they could get him down without the meat being bad. I have to say that those young men pulled it off, it took them 3 days but they got every scrap of meat and returned with a 59 1/2 inch bull. I never saw another moose on that hillside, I have to admit that Iím glad that they got a great bull, but I was disappointed that it ended my game with such a magnificent animal. While they earned their meat I played with the grayling. They were on the mountain and their presence had pushed the bulls from the area. I used my rifle to show scale.

After they got him on the meat pole, we had dinner and made our plans to move at daylight.

Default Day 7 and 8

We woke early to another great day looking forward to what lay ahead. We loaded up our levitators heavy with moose meat and hit the river

After a few hours we found our next camp. We continued to hunt but mother Alaska decided we had used up all of our moose credits and we settled into camp life. We had a great camp and the fishing continued to provide a distraction.

Great photo's stid2677,,thanks for sharring...and congrats on a good hunt...

Default Day 9

We rose early knowing that we had a long float ahead. We again loaded our raft full of gear and moose meat. The meat was in great shape thanks to good field care and our Tag bags. We hoped that around each bend in river we would find another large bull. Along the way I just soaked up the fall change of color and was happy to be alive and out in the wild.

Along the river we saw signs of other hunters success and saw that nothing goes to waste as some young eagles filled their bellies with meat from a kill.

After along day on the water I was weary from the oars and ready for a good nights sleep. However we had meat to tend and we had to have our gear ready for a 9:00am pickup. The takeout had not been used for awhile and we had several hours of brush clearing ahead of us.

Default Wow

I have been sitting here for over an hour watching stid put this together and I feel as If I was a fifth member!! There has to be more!!! Great hunt guys!! This hoosier can't wait to be there but I'm the same age as Stid and I will have to be patient myself!! HH

Default Last day

We slept in a little tired from some hard hunting. We had prepared most of our gear and had only to pack our tents and sleeping gear. An hour before they were due we heard a bush plane over head and saw that our ride was on the way and hour early. We went into a mad rush to get our tents off the runway.

Wrights Air Service was spot on and did a great job. It took them 4 loads to get us and all our gear and meat out. I highly recommend their service.

We were back in Fairbanks in no time at all loaded up and ready to head home. The successful hunters had meat still to tend to and I had some very stinky clothes. The weather was warm for moose season but we were successful because we did our homework and did what others did not. Many rafts floated right by those bulls and never saw them. We applied some good field craft and filled our freezers. The levitators preformed great. I wore my new Sitka gear was very impressed with it. Iím already planning next years adventure.

Steve

Great story, congratulations and thanks for a vicarious experience. John

Wink JediMasterCritterSlayer

Steve: your photo's and story are awesome.

It appears you've had a very successful year. It's time for you to get some "white-face" and change your signature to JediMasterCritterSlayer. grin

congratulations

kingfisherktn

Default Wow

It's a rare treat to be a part of someone else's hunt like this and I'm really glad you shared. Congrats to you all and I'm sure the younger guys don't regret a single step of packing out that moose. Good luck in the future and I hope to see more of your hunts posted in such a great format.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Sounds like it was an awesome trip! Great story and pics, cant wait to do a float trip for moose myself. Congrats!

Steve you have had one heck of a year! Thank you for sharing your story and pictures with the rest of us. Sounds like all of you got what you wanted out of the trip and that is what counts! I am sitting this season out and have had a great time going through your post. What did you use to get the underwater pic of the grayling?

Rob

So what is next this season?

Default Camera

Thanks Bronco, I have had a good year. Still have one last hunt for this year. Going to head down to the peninsula for a brown bear hunt. I used a Pentax Optio 10. It has been a great little camera. I took all these photos with it. It is completely water proof. The battery lasted the entire ten days. It is small enough to carry in my pocket and I have found that I take more photos because I have it handy. I'm starting to enjoy shooting with it almost as much as I like shooting that Benelli. I did say almost. I couple more, the sunsets and sunrises were really breath taking. Worth getting up for.

Default Thanks Steve, You Did it Again!!

The man knows how to put on a good thread. Great pictures to go along with a great hunt. I know thats a lot of work and we all appreciate the effort.

Ben
    "The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will." Theodore Roosevelt

Great detailed story and pictures ,what kind of rifle is that on the big moose antlers?
    Thanks for sharing your Hunt.

Default Thank you Steve

Wow, a great hunt with great memories. Between your story and our cool morings here in Maine, I'm coming down with the fever. Congrat on a great outdoor adventure, I would have a hard time with all that excitement, floating a river, and seeing moose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast