Thread: Any Sugestions / Recommendations

Default Any Sugestions / Recommendations

Hello,

I don't know the first thing about bows or bow hunting, but have always wanted too. A few questions:

1.) What pound bow is recommended for a moose?

2.) What's a good bow?

3.) Any sugestions?

I have jumped head first into things before only wishing I would have got something else. So I'm hoping with all your guys experience I can learn, and end up with a real nice bow.

Thanks,
    Chris

Minimum poundage required by law is 50 pounds for moose. If you go that low then I would look for a good cut-on-contact broadhead to go with it.

Asking which bow is like asking which car or truck. It's all personal opinion and what you like best. Go to a bow shop (not a retailer like SW or Cabelas) and try a few out to see what you like best. I prefer Mathews; my wife shoots a Switchback XT and I shoot a Switchback.

Any reomendations on a good bow shop in Anchorage?

Take the time to drive north to Wasilla and visit Fletcher's Archery. There is not a better bow shop around. He will take the time to really teach you about bows, will give you some basic instruction on proper shooting technique, and will allow you to shoot a variety of bows to figure out what works best for you. Well worth the time.

Default newbee to newbee

Having taken the wrong road once, I can tell you that these guys are right on. Go to a good archery shop. Get fitted correctly (my draw length was 4" longer before I got fitted). Find a weight that fits your strength...comfortably, no time to be HeMan. Remember that your strength is diminished by the cold (you can ask the buck that got away how I know that) Nobody ever told me this one, find a handle that fits your hand and angle at which is comfortable for you to hold. Shoot lots of different bows, find the make that fits you...and the one that you can afford ...good luck with that, you can usually sell a rifle and get close to what you paid for it, not so with a bow!

Good Luck!

Thanks guys for the info...

Default Some Help

Good article ... may help to make sense of it all.
    Cheers
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowsele...htm#bracespeed

Default Fletcher's

I aggree with Brian. Don't know the new owner but the prevous owner was a wiz at bow tuning. He had my new BowTech set up and shooting fantastic in minutes. Excellent place and an indoor range to try things out.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Give Bill at Backcountry a try, Spent some quality time there and met some really good people as well.

Default I second Uncle Bill's...

Right off Arctic in the Warehouses off the railroad tracks...He taught me everything I know about shooting, & even though they love to smoke, joke & drink, they're really world class guys down there!

When I started bow hunting I did not have any idea what I needed for equipment so I went into Fletcher's in Wasilla and told them what I wanted to do with the bow. They had me shoot some different bows until I found one that was comfortable to shoot. They then set it up for me and gave me some shooting lessons. Also they have always been ready and able to answer any questions that I have had. In the last two years I have taken two moose and a black bear with the bow that they sold me.

Default What I have learned

Buying a bow is like buying a car. It has to have the right price range for your wallet, it has to be comfortable, and yes believe it or not looks also play a part....how often do you see people shooting ugly bows? But if you are as new as you said when you posted this...take it from me and don't try to go hunting with it for a good little while. Take the time that you would be out hunting to practice. I bought a bow a few weeks prior to moose season and have only been out hunting for about 7 hours on the first weekend. And that was with my rifle. The rest of the time I have spent practicing. If you care about the welfare of the animals you are hunting.....don't go out with your bow until you don't have any doubts in your mind that you can get a good clean shot on the critter. There is nothing worse that forcing an animal to die a slow and painful death just because you didn't want to take time to get all the practice you needed. After you have it sighted in, shoot from unknown distances and angles and in the brush with one arrow from each position. Because let's face it....all you are going to get is one arrow when you are out in the field. I might not take a moose this year, but by God, come next year those moose are through.

Default Oh yeah

That web sit that LongBow gave you is excelent. That is the same site that I used to help pick a bow that was right for me.

Default Fairbanks?

Where would you guys suggest to go in Fairbanks?

Default Place in Fairbanks

Kings Nock is awsome. You can shoot a variety of bows, they are informative. Most of the people that I know have gone to Kings Nock.
    3204 International St, Fairbanks, AK 99701(907) 457-1792
    Just do yourself a favour and stay away from Sportsman Warehouse.
    I wish that I had someone to tell me that before I went there and bought a bow.
    So yeah. Check the place out. Feel free to ask questions while
    you are there about anything and everything. They WILL NOT
    let you walk out there with a bad deal.