Thread: Need some advice!!!!!!!! on hunting area!!

Default Need some advice!!!!!!!! on hunting area!!

I have put in alot of time already and now Im down to my last 5 days to hunt. Has anyone ever hunted between chickaloon and eureka road house??

I want to head in that direction and I do have a atv. Any advice would be great. Good luck to all the other hunters.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default For What

Hunt for what? A species would help.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default My mistake

Moose!! Hunting on a harvest tag.

if you see a big moose with huge antlers, shoot the darn thing. there are alot of trails on the north side of the road in that area. just get out and explore.

perm comes to mind. stop in kings river, and follow the tracks.

and dont forget your reg book.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    I want to head in that direction and I do have a atv. Any advice would be great. Good luck to all the other hunters.
    My advice would be to leave the atv behind and walk - or at least leave it on the trailer until you need to retrieve the animal. The atv trails between Chickaloon and Eureka get hit very hard by atv hunters. And yet there is a ton of area that has no trails. That's where the moose are! This spring I spent 4 weekends hunting bears and going along with a friend to check his beaver traps in that very area. We were on the opposite side of the road and about 1 mile away from a very popular atv trail. We found shed after shed after shed, many of which came from very large antlered bulls. Actually, I'm thinking of heading into that area before the season ends, as it seems to get virtually no pressure. Why? Because there is no trail. There are moose all over between Chickaloon and Eureka within 1-2 miles of the road, but they won't be standing near any atv trail.

Good luck!

-Brian

Default Brian is right but...

look On The Other Side Of The River!

Default thanks for the help guys

Well Im out the door at 10 am so thanks for the help. I hope to see some animals out and about. Anyways again thanks for the info. Good luck to you on your hunts.

Is there any way to get across the Matanuska River in that area, without a raft or such?

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    Is there any way to get across the Matanuska River in that area, without a raft or such?
    I looked across that river for years and never got to the other side. But MAN IT LOOKS GOOD!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    You could cross the glacier and then hike down
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've looked at the "other side" too, and it's tempting. I've heard stories of people flipping rafts and canoes on this river. From experience while hunting the Matanuska this year I can tell you this river is no joke and shouldn't be taken litely.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I've looked at the "other side" too, and it's tempting. I've heard stories of people flipping rafts and canoes on this river. From experience while hunting the Matanuska this year I can tell you this river is no joke and shouldn't be taken litely.
    And I've heard "rumors" of people making the crossing in 4X4s that I believe because they were second hand from a pretty reliable source.

I'd risk it point-point in a raft.

Default Don't try it

in a 4x4 unless you are following someone else who has done it before. It's a good way to lose your rig...and maybe more.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    in a 4x4 unless you are following someone else who has done it before. It's a good way to lose your rig...and maybe more.
    I agree with that.

But, I'd still raft it with little concern.

And I've heard "rumors" of people making the crossing in 4X4s that I believe because they were second hand from a pretty reliable source.

I'd risk it point-point in a raft.
    I've also heard "rumors" of people crossing the Nenana with big rigs. Some of them made it some didn't, chancing it and crossing Alaska's deeper and unpredictable rivers can be too costly if you ask me. There are too many variables. I watched the Mat water rise and fall with the rain and sun this year. After this year the temptation is completely gone, and for a good reason.

Nenana is another one I'd cross in a raft without thought.

LMFAO, go ahead you can have both.

What kind of a raft are we talking about here, fellas? I've rafted the Matanuska from Chickaloon down about 10 miles many, many times and have never had a problem. (Well, I had a problem once...but only because I did something stupid. I wasn't in the water for too long, though. ) Anyhow, with an appropriate raft most of the Matanuska isn't bad at all. There are some areas, such as Lion's Head, that require experience and knowledge, but there are plenty of stretches of river that are no more than class II. I've also been thinking about hunting the other side, but haven't set aside the time yet.