Thread: Where are the ducks?

Default Where are the ducks?

Went out this morning on the Kenai flats. I know it's not the best place around but I didn't see a single duck.

Post We need a good cold snap....

This season has been a bit odd I'll admit based on past years. I'm not sure if it's because of the warm summer we've had here in the interior that hasn't really let go yet or what. Been having to work pretty hard for birds jump shooting various areas after a morning set up. I'm only seeing groups of two and three birds decoying in when I do get some action. I'm hoping the first good cold snap will give a push to those northern birds.

Default Kenai flats

I have been on the flats every day since season opened, also hunted Moose River, canoed up Swanson River, into the Watson Lake drainage and the Kasilof flats. There are very few birds and hopefully it is just the weather and some will move in.
    Before season the ponds on the flats were bone dry and I imagine that didn't help.
    Was seeing a few birds the first week and managed to get a couple of teal and a couple of mallards but the last few days there have been no birds at all. SOme guys had a big clind up river about a half a mile form the port and they seemed to do well for several days but even it has been dead lately.
    I walked the north and south sides of the flats last night and I did not see a single duck. Anyone have any ides?

Just that time of year....Its not too hot down here in Juneau either....Give it time....October usually fairs better for most..

I put all my stock in sea ducks anyways

Went out to Placer river yesterday morning and definetly didn't see any ducks flying jumped a few. But overall there were probably 30 or so birds hanging out there but the ponds were to big for me to retrieve from so I let them be only one fool duck decided to fly off the water and over the land, the rest just scoot off into deeper water.

Default Saw lots

Was out on the Hay Flats and saw thousands (no kidding ) Shot one drake mallard before I even got to the boat launch that was thursday and on friday and saturday I took a limit each day. but then again I don't know what I'm doing must be my Mud Buddy powered Aqua Pod. It gets me to where the ducks are.

Default Just Duckee

From what I have seen the birds are there.
    They are getting a bit more decoy shy. I'm having better luck setting up spreads in smaller pockets of water off the big water areas.
    The northerns aren't down yet. What I call "local" ducks are getting smart. So you have to go where they like to hold out.
    I have been hunting on the west side and last weekend out at Jim Creek.