Thread: Delta Clearwater Silvers

Default Delta Clearwater Silvers

Has anyone been down to Delta Clearwater to fish for silvers yet? I have been thinking about taking the fly rod down there are doing a little catch and release.

i'd imagine they are showing up - i'm glad you are C/R. I kinda feel sorry for them as they have come so many thousands of miles. I've seen people bonk em, gut em, and then comment on how bad of condition that meat is in.

at least take your shotgun and blast a few sawbills to help preserve that run of Silvers

I havn't been down to fish there yet but I plan on heading don there this weekend to see if they are in. I do know that there are alot of rabbits and grouse in the Delta area again this year. I will let you know what happens this weekend.

Swapdonkey- You don't have time to go down there because you have to get back to work. theres a back log of jobs from all the fishing and moose hunting you did this past Summer and fall, beside your freezer is full of fish anyways....CK

Default Fishing Delta

I have never fished DCW. Fished a lot in SouthCentral, Russian, Ship, Seward etc. I use mostly russian river flys on a sinking line with 1-4 split shots 18" above my lure depending on the current. Always been successful down there.

Any advice wet vs dry flys...floating..or sinking line....love to catch salmon on the fly rod..it is fun

Thanks

Default DCW

The Silvers are in. I went back there this past Sunday. I have always used a 4/5 weight fly rod there and have always been successfull. There is just something about catching that size fish on light tackle that is a rush. I tie purple egg sucking leeches and they are very productive. This year I have experimented and have tied a chartrouse maribou tail on them and they have been awesome on the river. I use sinking tip line with around a 2 foot leader of 20 pound test and I also put two splitshot about 8 inches from the fly. I will be back up there on Friday if anyone is interested. I have to try to fill my 797 tag but will make room for the fly rod on the DCW.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info...I am heading down to fill my DM798 permit....in Delta Area but a little different...maybe we will run into one another at DCW....If you see a guy with a 10' Delphin Inflatable gray and blue with a 10hp/9.9 yamaha outboard..that would be me...say hello...always good to meet new people out in the field.

I know what you mean about fly rods..using smaller weights at times. I have a # 10 fly rod and a 3/4 fly rod. The 10 is great for kings...man is that ever a fight...got a heffer out of Clear Creek Talkeetna last year...loads of fun/work....so when I catch smaller ones like pinks/silvers on the 10 it is almost no fun...so I like to switch to the smaller weight for them.

Anyways good luck and hope to see you in the field...heading down Friday night from FBX.

Hummmm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsabBcEoAQ

Here is my report click and watch.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Fished there this past weekend. Floated from clearwater recreation area to the inlet of the creek from clearwater lake. Received some ****ty advice from a guy at the Alaska Fly Shop in Fairbanks. Said it would be no problem rowing up the inlet creek to the lake. Yeah right...planned my schedule around rowing up the inlet, water was so fast I couldn't get my 18' cat to move. The first 150 yards off of the channel from the Tanana is the worst. Had to anchor the boat at the inlet, walk to the boat ramp and get a duck hunter to two us up. Only way to float this is to go on down to the Tanana. The fishing was great though. Fish everywhere. In a day and a half my buddy and I caught close to 50 silvers. There are a few good holes they rest in, you can sit in there and catch fish all day. New fish are constantly moving in. Purple Egg sucking leaches are the ticket. Used my 8 weight Loomis and 300 grain line.

Beware though water freezes to everything in your boat. My raft was an ice cube when I took it apart.

I didnt have a ton of problem rowing a 16' aire up that creek. It's not flat calm by anymeans though and thankfully it's not that far of a row if you do have issues.

Swapdonkey- You don't have time to go down there because you have to get back to work. theres a back log of jobs from all the fishing and moose hunting you did this past Summer and fall, beside your freezer is full of fish anyways....CK

HAHAHAHAA! Leave those poor fish alone Donkey!!! You got work to do!!