Thread: Black Bear Hunting

Default Black Bear Hunting

Hope I don't get flamed for asking this question, lol.... But I was hoping some local hunters could tell me if there is any decent Black Bear hunting without flying out or boating. I am on a limited budget & planning on trying to do it all on my own. Hoping to come up to your great state in "08".
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Oh, BTW, planning on driving up so I can spend some time & bring the meat home.
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.

Default Se Ak

If you want to hunt southeast, try Prince of Wales Island (POW). Great bears and 1500 miles of roads. You should be able to google more info.

kingfisherktn

Thanks for the reply, I'll do that. Sounds like what I'm looking for, hopefully the Ferry won't cost to much.

Default Ferry's

You'll have two ferry's to deal with, one to get you from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan-if you drive up through Canada and the other from Ketchikan to POW. RT from Ketch to POW is around 150-$200, RT from Prince Rup to Ketch is 300-$350.

kingfisherktn

Been reading up on POW since I read your first post, sounds like the ticket. I may be better off to fly & donate the meat, not sure yet, lots of research to do. Thanks so much for the pointers. If I fly, I'd be able to bring my 500 Smith & Wesson to hunt with. Can't take that puppy through Canada, lol........

No you can not take your 500 through Canada but you could have it shipped from your state to POW through gun dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    No you can not take your 500 through Canada but you could have it shipped from your state to POW through gun dealers.
    Thanks Pardner, being a gun dealer myself, I was aware of that possibility, it's a little expensive though......Of course the drive from West Virginia to Alaska would be quite a trip with lots of beautiful scenery.

Default Cowboy

Sending you a PM.

kingfisherktn

Thanks, back at ya.

Quote Originally Posted by WVCowboy View Post
    Thanks Pardner, being a gun dealer myself, I was aware of that possibility, it's a little expensive though......Of course the drive from West Virginia to Alaska would be quite a trip with lots of beautiful scenery.
    Its been a few years since I last shipped a gun but then it was only $20 on each end plus the shipping. Whats it costing now?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Its been a few years since I last shipped a gun but then it was only $20 on each end plus the shipping. Whats it costing now?
    Well, UPS & Fed-Ex both require next day air shipping on handguns, so on a large gun its pretty high. A TC Hunter package costs me about $42.00 shipping from Pa., next door to me. Between dealer's, we can use the Post Office, but their insurance rates are high, so it ends up coming out almost the same.