Thread: What A Consistent Cal. the .416WBY

Default What A Consistent Cal. the .416WBY

I have used RL-22, Norma MRP, and IMR7828. Just look at the groups and velocities from each powder used with the 350gr TSX. Went out this morning to fire IMR7828 again so I could have a target and here are the results of all three powders in this order - RL-22, MRP, IMR7828.

RL-22 120grs 350gr TSX 2930fps .824"

MRP 116.8grs 350gr TSX 2891fps .724"

IMR7828 118.8grs 350gr TSX 2880fps .722"

THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hats off to you, for being able to shoot that monster from the bench, that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Hats off to you, for being able to shoot that monster from the bench, that much.
    Yea, I know what you mean. I really have not shot it much. Seems I have guessed right about powders and loads along with OAL. I have picked a load and now it is ready for hunting. With my load sighted in at 3" high at 100yds with the 350gr TSX in my 416WBY alllows me a zero of 270 and -10" at 375yds. Hold on top of shoulders at that point and kill out to 440yds. It gives me 6670ft pounds of energy at muzzle and 3720ft pounds at 440yds and still has at 600yds 2949ft pounds of energy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 416 Wby

I must confess to being a factory ammo shooter, so far. Last fall I bought a 416 lazermark from a friend after he returned from his last safari. Yea, he gave me a great deal with a Leopold 1.75-5.5 on it. I bought few boxes to try it out, some 350 gr TXS and 400 gr A Square Weatherby ammo from cabelas, not cheap! I thought it grouped pretty well with both loads, about 1" with the 350s and 1.25" with the 400s. Have you shot the WBY factory stuff much? Have you ever had any problems with it? How much difference is there between WBY loads and your hand loads? Are the WBY brass or nickel shells good enough to save for reloading or is there a better option? I have only reloaded shotgun shells so far so this would be quite a leap for me. Thanks for your patience and any help that you can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    I must confess to being a factory ammo shooter, so far. Last fall I bought a 416 lazermark from a friend after he returned from his last safari. Yea, he gave me a great deal with a Leopold 1.75-5.5 on it. I bought few boxes to try it out, some 350 gr TXS and 400 gr A Square Weatherby ammo from cabelas, not cheap! I thought it grouped pretty well with both loads, about 1" with the 350s and 1.25" with the 400s. Have you shot the WBY factory stuff much? Have you ever had any problems with it? How much difference is there between WBY loads and your hand loads? Are the WBY brass or nickel shells good enough to save for reloading or is there a better option? I have only reloaded shotgun shells so far so this would be quite a leap for me. Thanks for your patience and any help that you can offer.
    First, any 416 cal. cartridge will shoot good because the .416 is just a great accurate cartridge, whether 416 Taylor, Rem, Rigby, Weatherby or any other designed case. You got out of the factory ammo what you should have as far as accuracy. I am assuming your 350gr TSX was Weatherby factory ammo which is faster and more accurate than A Square. Yes, I have tried other stuff but my hand loads match and exceed all factory handloads in velocity and accuracy in my .416WBY Mark V Deluxe. I would if I were you and going to hand load, stick with Weatherby brass (Norma). I have found it to be the most consistent in producing velocity and accuracy. Any Weatherby brass from their factory ammo is the best to use for reloading unless you bought new umprimed Weatherby brass. Of course all that I have just said is from my experience with my Mark V Deluxe which my Weatherby was made in Japan. Good luck on your hand loads.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Hey Big Al, one thing I forgot to say is that the .416WBY is not bad with a brake and the stock design of a Mark V Weatherby really reduces recoil. Anyway, I just pull myself up to the the bench, think of nothing but my sight picture and keeping my mind on that and let everything else happen. The focus really reduces the precption of the recoil. What is so cool is when I pull the triger the blast wave from the fired round under the tin roof that covers the bench blows and lifts my hair up like a gust of wind. Wow - what a ride. Makes you feel like you could face anything out in the wild.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS