Thread: Best Kicker Size for 20 to 22 ft boats?

Default Best Kicker Size for 20 to 22 ft boats?

Considering the need to have good low speed for trolling & need to have at least 4 or 5 mph decent high end speed in event of main engine failure.............What is the best size kicker for a 20 to 22 ft boat weighing about 2,200 pounds (not including passengers). It seems like either an 8 HP or a 9.8 HP. What would be typical top/bottom end speeds for a 6, 8, & 9.8 HP kicker?

Default Yamaha T-8 Kicker

A Yamaha T-8 would work great-I use one on a 20 ft. Wooldridge Alaskan and does a great job, easily achieves hull speed and is quiet.

I have a 9.9 Mercury Bigfoot on my 19' Searunner. It pushes it at just under 6mph wide open.

I would go with a 15 hp kicker. That way you have the power if needed. I personaly think that a 9.9 is to small for such a big boat.

Yamaha T8 if you want or need power tilt otherwise the Yamaha T10. Both are high thrust models and cost about the same. Adding more power will not push your boat any faster unless the motor is capable of getting your boat on step. Any of the other HT motors will work as well. I am just not familar with the different models. These motors are designed from the get go with different gearing and bigger props to push heavier boats.
    The T10 will push my Sea Sport (wet weight about 6,500) up to 6 mph and only uses one gallon of gas per hour if you run it wide open.
    Tennessee

Dittos on 8-10 horse, bigger motors just add weight on the transom and don't make you go any faster. I'm running an old 8 horse e-rude and it pushes my 23' tolman 5mph. I wanted a kicker that was light enough to move onto an inflatable w/o too much strain. I wouln't go any smaller than 8 horse, in a headwind I barely make any progress.

The tohatsu 9.8 is the lightest 4 stroke ~80 pounds.

Default Kicker

Since you need a lot of power to get over the bow wave to plane, you won't be exceeding hull speed defined by 1.34*(LWL)1/2 or for a 20' boat with 18' water line length, 1.34*(18)1/2 = 5.7 knots. An 8 hp will be plenty to get to hull speed. The Yamaha high thrust is a good choice to get more efficient bite on the water at low speeds. Last I looked an 8 was 20 pounds lighter and $200 less than a 9.9 so why waste the money and have to lug more engine? I have an 8 on my 26 Osprey and it's plenty.

I wondered which sz to get for my boat this year. After reading in other threads etc on this subject I chose to purchase the Tohatsu 8HP for my boat. It is 19' and 1900lbs ish dry (avatar). I am more than happy with its performance even though its not a HT model. We even joked that spending less on a 6HP motor may have been adequate........then again maybe not.

Default Yamaha T8

I have a Yamaha T8 on my 22ft 6.5ft bottom sled. I figure it weighs about 3000 - 3500 lbs. I just got the boat so I havent tried it on a lake yet, but the T8 pushes the boat up stream at about 3 mph in a 4-6 mph current. Great motor so far, it has been a life saver already. Get one with Electric start so that if you have a dead battery you can use the kicker to charge it up. Also, I really thought that the power tilt was unnecessary, now I am REALLY glad that I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
    A Yamaha T-8 would work great-I use one on a 20 ft. Wooldridge Alaskan and does a great job, easily achieves hull speed and is quiet.
    Ditto. A Yamaha T8 High Thrust runs like it has more horsepower than it does and easily gets a 20'-22' boat to hull speed (after which NO kicker is going to help you.) Don't want the T8? Then the standard 9.9 is fine.

Brian

Default Honda 9.9 High Thrust on Bayliner's

My Honda 9.9 High Thrust with my Piranha Propeller 15 pitch prop, (but have interchangable & spare blades) pushed my 20 foot at 6mph and now my 22 foot at 5mph and makes my 13 foot inflaitable want to fly. I added a small electric fuel pump in case I need to fuel the 3 gal tank from my main tank.
    I love those Honda's