Thread: Eklutna moose

Default Eklutna moose

Registered for Eklutna moose on the first day. Have yet to hunt, was wondering if anyone's heard if any moose have been killed? If so, what were they(i.e. spike/fork, "?", etc...)? Thanks.

I registered for that hunt as well. I havent heard of any moose coming out of that area yet but Im anxious to get out and do some scouting myself.

Default me too

I also registered for this hunt. I have never been in the area and hope to go this weekend. Is it open to 4 wheelers? Any info on the area? Good luck to you guys.

The trail around the lake is open to 4 wheelers sunday through weds I think, check with CSP (might be mon-thurs) a better form of trasportation might be a john boat with a trolling motor, just be careful cause the winds can pick up fast on that lake. A bike with a trailer can be used as well. Awesome area, lots of sheep up there, the next time I spend a fall in the Anchorage area will be the fall I draw a sheep permit up there...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Exclamation call first...

They (F&G) usually shut it down typically after 4 moose are taken. (That was the magic number in the past). Unless they've changed this year to allow more moose to be taken, I don't know. If you go in after the the season opener, call F&G before you go and ask what they're looking for as far as a quota and make sure that their quota hasn't been met. Definately make for sure that the season isn't closed. They don't announce closures on the radio or in the Anchorge Daily Fishwrapper, YOU have to know before you go. Beats getting a ticket for hunting "out of season" or "poaching"...

Sunday thru Wednesday are the allowed days for four wheelers. So i guess that means a lot of walking on Saturday, so who all is going? See you there. Lets get a moose with a low carbon diet, we can help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    Sunday thru Wednesday are the allowed days for four wheelers. So i guess that means a lot of walking on Saturday, so who all is going? See you there. Lets get a moose with a low carbon diet, we can help him out.
    Do you have a bike? If so, you might want to head down the trail a ways. Or possibly consider canoeing/kayaking to the opposite shore. On Saturdays that place is crawling with hunters within walking distance of the parking lot. Last year I gave it a shot in mid-September and could hear 2 different hunters calling from my location.

Also, take a close look at land-use maps. A lot of the valley prior to the Park is Eklutna Corp. land, but there is some public land around. The whole valley is open above the Glenn Highway, so there may be some small unhunted pocket of land that would be worth trying.

if you feel like walking a long ways and calling a ton of your buddies to help pack out there are some bruisers in the ship creek valley, and probably some great hunting in peters creek...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Any luck yet?

Smile was up there last friday

I have hunted there the past 3 yrs, and I know for sure the past 2 yrs they haven't met the quota of 4 moose taken. I went in on my mnt bike 7 miles from the parking lot on the trail, and nothing, not even tracks!! Don't forget about the motor restrictions there..... electric trolling motors only. I'm not sure what the best way to hunt this place is. I have been WAY back there, and there was more sign there, but also ALOT of bear sign too. But as brian said, there are plenty of pockets closer in the valley too, might try those out as well.

I know i am going to give it a fair shake this yr!! I have off the week of oct 7-14 and am going to give it a good try!

This is a very hard hunt... Thick and allot of pressure.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default keep an eye out for poachers

heard of a guy parked by the phone booth like at 10pm something last weekend. Had a rifle in hand and got real sketchy looking when he saw my co-worker coming from the phone booth after calling his wife. He had just got down from packing a sheep out. He reported it to the troopers. So just keep a an eye open for him or others.