Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to trapping

Question new to trapping

hi im full curls son and im 13. we want to trap but know nothing about it. what are some of the things we need? where should we go (in or around anchorage) to trap? What could we catch? would it be worthwhile to do it on foot? Please tell me so i can get my dad to buy some of the stuff. Thanks.

Default Here you go

Check this site out.

http://www.traps4kids.com/Index.html

It has good pointers that apply to AK too. Not implying that your a little kid. I was reading there stuff last night myself. They have some good ideas. Good traps to start with are conibear 110,s for muskrat, mink,ermine or martin. get a few Number #3's for lynx sets and get a doz snares or so, if you dont mind snaring. Snares are the cheapest way to trap followed by the 110's Learn to do cubbies for lynx with the #3's, coil or longspring. Learn off some old posts how to make a martin set. Thats the most fun way to start, you can do it on foot and it wont cost your dad a bag full of money.
    Good luck!

Question thanks

thanks for some tips and info the last thing i want to know is where to go is there a good area in or around anchorage???

Default Trapping info

I sent you a PM with some information that should help you in getting started with your trapping adventures.

Mike

Default thanks man

thanks ive gotten some awesome help but i need some onfo from someone who traps in or around anchorage is there anplace that would be good to trap????

My dad and I started trapping about seven years ago. We don't trap real close to anchorage, but we have two lines in unit 14C. There are a few things to consider before you start putting out traps. Start looking at what furbearers you want to trap and where it is open for trapping. You might be surprised at how many people are trapping in southcentral alaska. Do some scouting for animals and look for signs that a trapper might already be trapping in that area. It took us a little searching to find the areas we trap. There are lots of trails around Anchorage and they get used year round. You have to be aware of people walking their dogs that may not be on leashes. Trapped or killed dogs do not make good headlines in the news. I know this isn't the specific info that you want, but if you start meeting and talking to trappers about where they trap or have trapped it will help in your search for an area. Here is a link to some alaska trapping information. You'll have to do a little looking, but there are topics about catching different animals. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...oard/15/page/1

Mike

First pick up a copy of the regs that'll help you narrow down where to trap.. Second DON'T TRAP SOMEONES DOG go way out of your way to avoid it...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default trap someone's dog??

Maybe those "someone" should watch where they are taking their dogs. Dog owners seem to think that they can let their dogs run all over. I in no way promote trapping on heavily used trails, but when people start walking on trails that you have made and are trapping on, it becomes THEIR fault for allowing their dog to be caught. TOO darn easy to blame the "bad" trapper for their lack of taking care of their dog. There are NO trappers out there that want to catch anyones dogs.

Default can't even believe you powder

your a real piece of work, your only post was about not catching someones dog.

Check out the south-central chapter of the Ak. Trappers Assoc. There should be guys there to help.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Maybe those "someone" should watch where they are taking their dogs. Dog owners seem to think that they can let their dogs run all over. I in no way promote trapping on heavily used trails, but when people start walking on trails that you have made and are trapping on, it becomes THEIR fault for allowing their dog to be caught. TOO darn easy to blame the "bad" trapper for their lack of taking care of their dog. There are NO trappers out there that want to catch anyones dogs.
    Couldn't agree more. AKPM where do you get this stuff?

Wink Trapping dogs

We're actually targeting some snow white poodles. We think we can pass them off to someone from the lower 48 as mtn. goats. grin

A beagle or two wouldn't be bad either, their in big demand.

There ought to be a better market for dogs. Awhile back I remember reading that some furrier was passing off dogs as coyote or wolf. That just hurts the trappers (why should the buyer care?). If there was a better market the trapper wouldn't be getting screwed by competing against southeast asian dog pelts! Cruella's gotta have her spots after all.

What kind of a dog you got monkey?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default asian dogs

are you talking about racoon dogs? they are not domesticated dogs. Remember folks PETA people DO browse trapping websites. we should not joke about dogs.

The closer you trap to Anchorage, the better your chances of having your sets disturbed or your traps stolen. Another thing to consider is that the closer you are to Anchorage the better the chance that someone is already trapping the area and has been for some time. If you are going to use the road system I would suggest you go as far as you can to avoid other trappers....

Give me a PM & I will take you and your Dad out with me and my boys when muskrat season starts... if you want to go!

Also, you should get a screen name started over at Trapperman.com and go and say hi in the Wilderness Trapping forum, there are a lot of members here that are members over there too!

- Clint

Default Anchorage is a tough place.....

I trapped the road system last year and was told by Fish and Game that the Placer River area was a good place, but you need access by sno go or you could walk in, but that would be tough. I didnt have a sno go so I ventured north along the Parks Hwy. Closest thing I could find that had a decent pullout and no sign of other trappers was around 150 miles one way. I had a 5 mile walk in line and we trapped through Dec., all we had to show for it was 3 marten, and we got those on the first two checks of the season.

Your best best is too get way off the road system, otherwise your more than likely to find others trapping the area already.

Good Luck, I'll be trapping from the boat this year, weather permitting.

AH (Arctic Trapper on the Trapperman.com forum)

Default hope you get all the info you need

I hope you followed the thread to traps4kids.com. It is a great sight. My son is also 13 and is registered there as is my 11 year old daughter.

As for you AK POWDER MONKEY why did you need to post that irrelevant dribble. I am sure his father would make sure he has the regs. I mean we all know the guy. Secondly, I am sure that is exactly what he was hoping for, a nice german short haired pointer pelt. I am sure his dad would put him exactly in the spot for that. (SARCASM if you didn't quite catch that)

Now for my final part, anyone who would steal another hunters decoys is the last person we need giving advice to the young folks on here. Anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about just needs to visit the Missing Dekes thread under Waterfowl Hunting.

For the young guy that started this thread, I know it must be disheartening to get an e-mail saying someone responded to your thread, think that your going to get some help and end up with some lame post like that. Check out traps4kids.com, talk to some kids your age that run their own traplines, enter the contests, win some gear, post some pics and have fun. That site is loaded with info. Another one is Trapperman.com. that site has an answer to just about every question you have. Fisherman222, martentrapper and alot of others can give up some pretty good advice. Hope you have a fun season.

Default Call the Ak dept fish and game and get their videos, they are great!

for working furs, call the Ak dept fish and game...ask them about their videos...get the fur handling video for sure that is 2.5 hours.....this is a DETAILED video that covers ears, eyes, lips, paws, beaver, wolverine, fox, etc....

remember, trapping is only about 1/4 of the whole....you gotta have a good trappign setup....plan....equipment...outdoor routine....then, you gotta be able to not only skin, but, then detail and dry the fur for the tannery...OR, then you gotta be able to tan your own...this fur handling video will cover some trapline skills, skinning techniques AND equipment AND the SETUP for your shop!!!!...i have spent HOURS skinning a fox when i started on my own!...sucked!...i watched this video adn get to where i could skin a fox, detail the ears, lips, etc and then flesh it in under 2 hours...HEY, yeah, i know, some of you guys do it faster, but, for the whole meal deal, that is great for a 2nd year trapper!....

on the video, notice how the guy hangs the fox, etc and PULLS THE SKIN DOWN....then the knife cuts at teh V easily...DON"T skin the whole animal iwht a knife!!!! ....i use my thumbs NOW to skin about 2/3 of a fox!......i use a scraper to do 1/2 of a beaver!...NOT A KNIFE!!!!!....just my two sense!...and how the video shows you to do it....oh, notice the comealong he uses from the ceiling and then the carcass is tied to the floor!.....

Oh, and thanks you guys that convinced me to stay away from electric fleshers!...i got my draw knife to work!...love it!...

Oh, when using a flesher knife, two handled ones....make sure that the HAIR and FLESH are wet, or, you'll burn the flesh and pull the hair through!...foudn that out the hard way!...

anyway, call fish and game....they have probably 5 great videos....get them all...

setup, setup, setup....saves time, labor, money....get your trapping sled setup....get your shop setup right....ok, i'm sure you get the point!...

and have fun!
    scotty
    Scotty in the AK bush

Quote Originally Posted by jssbastiat View Post

Oh, when using a flesher knife, two handled ones....make sure that the HAIR and FLESH are wet, or, you'll burn the flesh and pull the hair through!...foudn that out the hard way!...
    Scotty you do not need the flesh wet at all to scrape a pelt. If you are pulling the hair through the pelts are more than likely not prime. I have never gotten the hair wet to flesh, ever. When fleshing the greasy Western Alaskan fox pelts i use sawdust just to keep it DRY as I scrape.

traps4kids is a great site with tons of great information, even for adults, check it out for sure.

Look what I found on Youtube... "Destroying the Myth"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jmc56hB73U

- Clint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast