Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winch Anchor

Default Winch Anchor

Hello All,
    I am looking for a anchoring devise to use with my winch when I get stuck. Since I ride alone 99% of the time I don't have the extra machine to hook to. What do you folks recomend or use? I have the usual shovel and axe, rope comealong with 100' of amsteel rope. Tow strap and snach block but none of it works without a tree or an anchoring devise to hook to. So lets here about all the gadgets and the ideas. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Alaskan100

I caryy a small boat anchor on my argo when I'm hunting alone ,Works great!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

One of the small danforth style anchors work well. They are light and will get you out of a jam. Don't get the navy style one.

I have one of these that works suprisingly well.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...chor&noImage=0

Default tag lines

That cabela's anchor looks like it might do the job. Just add a tag line to the top of the anchor though so that if digs down 5 or 6 feet you have something to pull it out of the tundra with. A navy model danforth anchor will work too, you just have to rig it the right way. The guy that said not to use one was probably a Marine,

Quote Originally Posted by AkCPO View Post
    A navy model danforth anchor will work too, you just have to rig it the right way. The guy that said not to use one was probably a Marine,
    Hehehehehehe!!! That's too funny but what do I know, I'm Air Force? Oh ya, I know enough to stay in a hotel with good room service and a wake up call (helps after a late night of drinking at the clubs in the hotel).

Just remember, I can kill more people with a click of my mouse before 9am than you can kill all day.

Excellent question--I've often wondered the same thing. I've heard of people carrying about a 2 ft section of rebar and a mallet--and then hammering the rebar into the ground as a winching anchor point. Admittedly, I'm not sure how easy it is to get out once you're done...

Default Argo Stuck?

Dadgum! That's why I bought an Argo...... so I wouldn't hafta' get out into the mud and slop any more.....

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Hehehehehehe!!! That's too funny but what do I know, I'm Air Force? Oh ya, I know enough to stay in a hotel with good room service and a wake up call (helps after a late night of drinking at the clubs in the hotel).

Just remember, I can kill more people with a click of my mouse before 9am than you can kill all day.
    Ya probably know more about it than I do. But a Navy type anchor will work just fine. Didn't mean to diss an Air Force guy either, but I've aways heard (third hand of course) that Air Force types considered it "roughing it" if they had to check in to a hotel without air conditioning when they were TDY. :-) (the admins wouldn't let me add a smiley so big grin here) Oh yeah, I did coastal/riverine patrol boats, 25mm chain guns and Mark19 gernade launchers are a lot more fun and much more personal than mirv warheads. But mirv's are cool too. Us "Old fart" military types can always pick on each other as long as it's good natured. Sorry if I drifted off of the topic of the thread, just wanted to respond to AkMuddy.

Default AF Roughing It?

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post

HAHAHAHAHA Muddy. I agree with Chief (the real one, not AF-type), AF considers it tough if they have to share a room with someone here in Afghanistan! HA! A little good-natured rubbing, we are all one team, one fight, and the AF is great to work with!

LT, USN, currently deployed in support of OEF

Default Ground Anchor

I made one somewhat similiar to this one although I used 12" spikes instead of the "sword" looking ones. I've only had to use it once and it worked nicely. It folds up and stores in the front storage compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by cghuntcms View Post
    Dadgum! That's why I bought an Argo...... so I wouldn't hafta' get out into the mud and slop any more.....

careful, I've seen Argo's get stuck too. My father in laws had to pull out a few with his weasel and even he's been stuck twice.
    Chris Willhoite

Why does it have to be a navy type?? I prefer to use a Coast Guard type anchor myself. I used one to pull my 6x6 sportsman through three feet of spring snow. Got a free winch our of the deal too. Anyway the danforth anchor worked great. They just take up more space than I really have room for on a four wheeler.

Default Stuck in an Argo

Just got back from my camping trip, a.k.a. moose hunt in area 13 and found that high centering is the main threat to an argo. Each time I got stuck, that was the issue. Since I had friends to help IF i got stuck, I'd cross areas I'd normally avoid, just to measure the limitations of the Argo.

I did 'swim' rather slowly around in a 360 circle in one hole. I think my meat wagon acted as a rudder and controlled my direction. I drove out where I went in, turned around, straightened out, and got through the second time.

Other'n that, we used the Argo as an anchor to pull out the 4-wheelers.

Default snow anchor

I've had a snow anchor for years, and it's gotten me out of some nasty holes. It's one that the dog musher's use for their dog sleds. It works great if your in tundra and have some low bush roots to dig it in. I think you can still get them at Ray's harness shop on airport road(anchortown)

FM

Default Snow hook

Did a little searching and found this web site, at least it has pics of what I'm using. http://www.twincitytooling.com/thesledstopper.html

A friend of mine even made one out of rebar. works pretty good. Like I said, these things have pulled us out of open tundra when we shoundn't have tried to go across boggy areas. And snowy/icy areas during winter.

Just my 2 cents.

FM

Talking You might try an Xtractor Vehicle Recovery System

Hi guys - I was reading this forum about ATV winch anchors and I thought I would post my thoughts. I've been doing some Web design work here in Idaho for the Xtractor Winch Anchor, and it really seems to do the trick.

http://www.xtractorstore.com

Not sure but I thought it might fit your needs...

Thanks, and happy riding!

Default size of anchor

Came across this thread and was wondering what size anchor should one have for a 500 Artic cat. Do the small little anchors with the rubber coating work?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtractorguy View Post
    Hi guys - I was reading this forum about ATV winch anchors and I thought I would post my thoughts. I've been doing some Web design work here in Idaho for the Xtractor Winch Anchor, and it really seems to do the trick.

http://www.xtractorstore.com

Not sure but I thought it might fit your needs...

Thanks, and happy riding!
    Thread got revived but still had a chuckle with this.

Great concept but isn't that a surplus Army shovel with some winch cable through the handle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast