Thread: best use of front leg sinewey meat?

Default best use of front leg sinewey meat?

any suggestions? It binds up in the grinder- what else could it be used for? Does anyone have any summer sausage recipies they like?

University of fairbanks in anchorage has a lot of good info on processing meat. It is in the charter college building near Northern lites and lake otis.

thanks

Sinew always gets caught in the grinder. Salvage it. Dice it up and recycle it (with meat) through the grinder.

I make pepper sticks with High Mountain Jerky Mix (pepper blend). The leftover gets fried in a pan, and, it always tastes like a good sausage patty. So much so that I have contemplated making it all into sausage rather than pepper sticks.

Default Sinewy leg meat

We turn deer let meat into jerky, you can work a piece quite awhile.

kingfisherktn

Default Rope

It ca be used to tie flint broadheads to arrow shafts and for sewing garments of leather. Lots of old uses!

Most people do not sharpen their cutter blades in the meat grinders or keep the blades tight enough. A good sharp cutter "should" cut thru most of it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default yes

I sharpend the blades and that helped a LOT- A huge difference - I used the stones from the lansky kit and went thru all of them and laid them flat on the cutting edge - cuts as good or better than when new.

Default Bingo!

Bingo! That is what I do. Although a good wide 4" stone might work better. Touching off the face of the steel plate with the holes might help a bit too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Stew

Cubes for stew meat.

Long, long, gentle cooking (just a simmer) dissolves much of the tough ligamentary material.

That dissolved material helps thicken the stew and adds flavor, too. 'Course, it can also make it gel a little bit when you put the leftovers in the fridge, but it reliquifies in the microwave...

Default Shanks. . .

Leave them as-is, go Online, and Google a recipe for lamb shanks. Look for a pressure-cooker recipe if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Most people do not sharpen their cutter blades in the meat grinders or keep the blades tight enough. A good sharp cutter "should" cut thru most of it.
    Well I'll be... I thought that that thing used to work a lot better. thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Leave them as-is, go Online, and Google a recipe for lamb shanks. Look for a pressure-cooker recipe if you have one.
    BINGO, have to agree marcus!

Default i put mine in a crock pot for a day, man, that was the BEST part!

i tried to grind mine up, geeezzz, i was hot...gave away two legs..then the last one i put in a crock pot one sunday, man, that senew just melted into fat!....that was the best part of the moose....i will not give it away, that is my ROAST from now on!....

i gotta say, i got my first moose last year, and it was a bit tough...i wish i had taken my 5 caribou...but this year, i'll grind it all up into sausage and burger, except for the lower legs!...

oh, i made some into cold smoked italian sausage with 1/4 pig fat, man, that was the talk of the town!....just followed the recipe that sportsmans warehouse sent me....
    Scotty in the AK bush