Thread: Upcoming Goat Hunt last minute gear Advice

Default Upcoming Goat Hunt last minute gear Advice

Well I leave for a Goat hunt on Kodiak in 9 days and was just looking for any last minute gear advice someone might have. My gear list is long as hell so rather than list everything, is there any one thing you goat hunters wish you had brought with you that you didn't, but swore if you ever went again you'd have it! Or brought something that you were glad as heck you did. I do have crampons and an ice axe.

Default Leather gloves

For Prince William Sound leather gloves are really great for handling Devils Club and berry bushes if you need a hand hold.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Well I leave for a Goat hunt on Kodiak in 9 days and was just looking for any last minute gear advice someone might have. My gear list is long as hell so rather than list everything, is there any one thing you goat hunters wish you had brought with you that you didn't, but swore if you ever went again you'd have it! Or brought something that you were glad as heck you did. I do have crampons and an ice axe.
    Weather on Kodiak can be nasty and you may get stuck in the tent for days with your buddy. Bring some books and a deck of cards to keep yourself entertained and not go crazy. If you bring any movies, do not bring that movie Broke Back Mountain. Your buddy may never look at you the same way again.

Quote Originally Posted by love2hunt View Post
    Weather on Kodiak can be nasty and you may get stuck in the tent for days with your buddy. Bring some books and a deck of cards to keep yourself entertained and not go crazy. If you bring any movies, do not bring that movie Broke Back Mountain. Your buddy may never look at you the same way again.

Yeah my partner is trying to get one of those Honda 1000 gen so we can watch DVD's if we end up tent bound cuz of nasty weather and or we cant get flown out for a few days, he doesn't like roughing it too much.I am not sure how we are gonna transport that on Alaska airlines though? Broke Back Mountain wont be in the collection! <grin>

Default Are you serious Roland?

Roland, are you serious about your buddy wanting to bring a generator along so you can watch movies? Not to put too harsh of a spin on it, but geeze, I thought people went hunting to get away from all the creature comforts of syphillization and "rough it" for a spell, back to nature and all that. A honda genny on a goat hunt!? Now I've (sadly) heard it all.

Default Agreed

I fully agree w/Bushrat... a generator? Who gets to carry that? LOL

I've not Goat Hunted but have a few hikes in Alpine country under my belt back when I was a little younger and in better health: you can never have enough socks.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Yes I am serious Mark. This guy is a hard core SOB when it comes to some things but if he can bring it, not have to carry it and the plane can he brings the kitchen sink. Could tell you dozens of insane stories of his roughin it hunts but I have learned from hunting with him that if he's paying for a plane...he's bringing everything he can. Dont doubt his drive or desire for one second though, this guy would give you many mixed impressions if you knew some of the adventures he has embarked on and conquered. I hadn't thought about the gen thing but didn't sound bad after he mentioned it. All of us that have spent several days in a tent in bad weather know what it does to the psyche.I am cheering him.

Default Sorry Roland...but it just seems overboard

Roland, aaarrrrgggghhh. This is a sore spot with me. I flat-out would not hunt with someone who insisted on bringing a generator, even if he was paying my way. To my mind this is a large part of the problem these days with "hunting." From what I hear from others the woods are filled with the sound of purring Hondas at night to run lights, dvds, blenders, you name it. For God's sake, have we forgotten how to read, or play cards, or engage in discussion with friends? Are we so dang addicted to city-life that we have to bring so much of it with us to hunting camps? Some of my best hunting memories with friends are from being holed up or camped, and talking nearly the entire night, just discussing Life. While you cheer for your friend and his desire to bring a genny on a goat hunt so he and you can watch dvds when "stranded" in camp, I cringe that these "examples" are out there for others to read. Stupid of me to "judge," I know, but there you go. I just simply cannot believe that on a goat hunt you guys are wanting to fly in a generator to watch movies. Then again...sounds like a comfy base camp indeed, may as well bring some electric lights and a blender to mix margaritas.

To reinforce to others where I am coming from, here's a link to an essay by a buddy of mine that explains it better than I can. The gist of his essay is summed up with this one line:
    "A hunter is rich in relation to the amount of stuff he or she can afford to hunt without."
    The Things We Can't Control

About the generator, six guys took a hunting trip to a forest service cabin and were flown out by the air service I always use. So there were cots, no need for tents or stoves and they still took over 1600 pounds of gear, it took two beaver flights for them and all the gear, and yes, it included a generator.

As far as the goat hunt, I'm leaving Friday for Kodiak and I've gone over my list a hundred times, I'll let you know how we fare.

Cub, leather gloves were metioned i belive, i prefer the orange rubber gloves that you buy at walmart or any store in kodiak, they keep you dry and you can still grab the devils club with them and fit a liner glove inside to swap out if they do get wet.
    Scope cap covers are a must as well, lots of socks is great, rain gear and a gps. the rest like three changes of clothes, two pairs of boots and all that, you can leave behind. go simple, i'm with bushrat, keep it simple, base camp is one thing to go a little comfy on, something to dry clothes with is great, thats why they make lanterns, hard to dry clothes over a 60 watt bulb though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default advice

Im sure you have all your bases covered. We brought a SAT Phone and was glad we had one, getting down early and being able to report weather conditions was a big plus. One thing we brought (didnt need) was some good climbing rope and a repelling harness. Never know when a goat will do a death leap and gets itself hungup on a ledge.

One thing we did notice was that the goats where not spooky. As long as we moved away or around them, not at them, they watched but stayed bedded. So if your a 1000 yrds or so out and have to move out in the open I wouldnt worry about it. Just dont move directly at them and get out of sight when you can.

Have a fun and safe trip

Thanks for the tips fellas.

Mark Didn't want to get off track with the gen thing as its by no means a for sure thing or a priority but, when love2hunt brought up the possibilities he did, he meant what he was saying as it is a great possibility and its just something that was brought up in us discussing gear possibilities. I know exactly where you are coming from and what you are insinuating and I agree with you to an extent. But IME when you have the capability to have a cozy base camp life is mo better.. no? It doesn't mean the Bivys arent going too. This is a hunt that we have both been planning for 9 months and have a lot of time from work off scheduled for it. Neither of us are naive to what Kodiak can be like or the mountains and if we have the capability (logistically) to be more comfortable than your standard walk in during tough times why not enjoy it? Theres something to be said about having a good time and enjoying being out there no matter the difficulties mom nature throws at you, right?Anyway..

Got the sat phone set up with Surveyors and IMO is a must on a remote fly in for safety sake, we used one down by the Katmai on the peninsula brown bear hunt last year and it was crucial, especially relaying weather to the pilot and for the possibility that one of us were injured.

Hoping my trip is as short as yours was akhunter02, we are headed in the same area you were in. But we are planning for 2 weeks so we'll see what gives.

Thanks again guys.

Default 2 weeks

Dam!!!! your a better man than I , if you have that much time theres a very nice Billy for you to chase

Default Not gear, but a question

One of the best questions I asked a pilot when he dropped me off after waiting for marginal weather to fly in:

"What do I have to be able to see from right here in order to tell you (on the satphone) it's clear enough to land here?"

The pilot was surprised by the question, but lined up exactly which peaks and saddles I'd have to have a clear (not misty & hazy) view of from the dropoff point before I was allowed to tell him 'the weather here is ok to come get us.'

A good ol' basic compass is always a good thing to have with you. It weighs nothing, takes no batteries and can help you find your way out if you use it on the way in! Not to beat the generator thing up anymore than the other guys have...but if it is a "must" for your buddy...he can pick up a portable dvd player and take some extra pre-charged batteries to get through the trip! Seems like a better idea than a heavy generator.

Some people believe you have to rough it to be hunting.Myself I enjoy a camp with steaks fresh biscuits and a good apple cobbler.It may be harder to take in but it sure is comfy

Default Fly out on the 21st also.

Do you have permit 475? If so I will bring some extra gas & popcorn? Good luck maybe we will see you there?

I am partial to either 4 or 6 point instep crampons on wet or muddy ground...okay in snow to a limit. I also use my trekking poles at all times, while my tall ice axe tends to get left behind. I stopped using my Kolfak (?sp) boots when I found the Asolo's I now use. You will get wet, wet, wet, so having a way to dry gear is important. Most important of all is a good head lamp IMHO...I was on a goat hunt years ago with Ak Nimrod and at 2 AM with a heavy load (my goat) we had to desend a narrow gorge with shear side 15 yards away, in the rain and mud. If not for Nimrod's light my bones could still be on that hill. I always carry one with me now
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather